Cars we were brought home in

mnde

will have to see if my dad has pics next time I'm up North but it was one of these -

Posted Image

had to go not longer after I came along as I was the 3rd child and apparently Mum complained it was awkward getting us all in and out....he's never forgiven me for it..

First car I actually remember was a Red Renault 12 TL Reg. WEK 876S

Posted Image

Exactly the same as this, but on Toyota wheels rather than Wolfrace slots. Didn't last very long as my Dad sold it and his bike and acquired a brown Cressida because it had more room.

Posted Image

Will have to dig out photos of them both.

• 2 weeks later...

My father was in the Fire Service when I was born. It would be nice to think that I came home in something like this, but unfortunately they'd gone long before I came on the scene :) :

Posted Image

So was he Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble or Grubb?

• 10 years later...

When I sold the Jag of much beigeness just a couple of months before my lad was born I was gutted that the first car he was is wasn't going to be a Jag anymore. I really hadn't thought the whole thing through. 

Thankfully JohnK came to the rescue and he got his first ride in a waft of luxury listening to dub reggae.

FB_IMG_1574799867521.thumb.jpg.32bc69942fc80622baee1850dfc88caa.jpg

This is quite a thread resurrection.  Great to see lots of old names on the early pages.

Renault 10 for me, like this one.

0D4F993B-C393-420A-8010-858B74E0223B.jpeg.449acc9591a0bfd4bbb9187d0efe6b0e.jpeg

They were a somewhat leftfield choice even when ours was new in 1968.  But my father did have a tendency to plough his own furrow.

One of these, apparently , for extra jeopardy it had a paraffin tank strapped on the back as it was winter. Also, according to family folklore my mum had to walk in front with a torch part of the way home because the fog ( smog) was so bad , this meant my dad had me in his arms and steered with one hand, so effectively I was behind the wheel from birth!  Although it should be noted my parents were little more than children themselves , being 17 and 16.

image.jpeg.5dfc8d42ff343a6dc32886abca521fc9.jpeg

I would have come home in my Dad’s Mitsubishi Magna Wagon.

image.jpeg.b982e693ef5362fe103f60590b9f083e.jpeg

It was just like this one, only his was a strange metallic pink colour.

It was a company car and Dad was very pleased when he got it as he specifically asked for a station wagon instead of a saloon and the only wagon they could get was a top spec one with alloys, colour coding, velour and electric everything, his colleagues were very jealous.

PVIy7h8.jpg

(In 1968), a 1964 B-reg 997cc in a light fawn colour. My carri-cot (with me in it) was often just placed in the back along with the electrician's tools and drums of cable.

A few years later my younger bro came along and was brought home in something a bit more sporty. A H-reg fern green 1600E just like this one.

UqID3Pa.jpg

I was 6 before I ever went in a car,  even then it wasn't ours.

My dad had a Combination until he passed his car test age 54. couldn't kick the bike up any more due to byssinosos.

Quite likely that's what I went home in,

BSA, Norton, Panther, Triumph.  Who knows, I can remember all those.