Oli’s cars Reliant Jubilee Robin, Rover Metro Rio, Rover 211i, Rover 75 Club CDTi Tourer, AC Model 70

OliD-E

Today has been a busy day first i started of by bringing KPL back up from the shed in the field to the driveway 2b9954aadba6ce6434a621d609969bdd.jpg Then I gave her a wash as she was very dusty and covered in bird mess 5da77d2e40a06dfe0892926f3f809646.jpg and then the most important thing of the day happened she got a number plate fitted dddf9db752f500fd686d45dd0350cf64.jpg and finally i sorted my shed out which was a long overdue job and KPL went in there 45f0fdd1b7de2c932751b9cf96ef8ff0.jpg

Yay happy to see some work being done on KPL
have you had any luck sourcing an engine/transmission for her? I know you had a lead on something a few pages back
also any idea what happened to front half of TPAs old engine cover BTW? i know in DWs early videos it was there.

I had a lead Alan Hitchcock but whenever i ask how much he wants he goes quiet sadly i asked DW about the other half and he says he still has it so Zel must have forgotten it

14 minutes ago, OliD-E said:

I had a lead Alan Hitchcock but whenever i ask how much he wants he goes quiet sadly i asked DW about the other half and he says he still has it so Zel must have forgotten it

sadly iv encountered a lot of the same crap myself, so your not alone

ill keep you posted if I come across anything myself!

it is worth noting the Steyr puch engine it self was used in a lot of vehicles, so it probably would not be too hard to source one, have you spoken to https://haflingertechnik.com/html/index.php these guys may be able to help :) (although that would bring up the problem of where do you get the whole centrifugal clutch setup thats bolted to the engine IIRC )

I also know the hammond collection have a Model 70 engine and 2 Exhausts, they said they had a bunch more parts but those where disposed of at one point sadly

sadly iv encountered a lot of the same crap myself, so your not alone
ill keep you posted if I come across anything myself!
it is worth noting the Steyr puch engine it self was used in a lot of vehicles, so it probably would not be too hard to source one, have you spoken to https://haflingertechnik.com/html/index.php these guys may be able to help  (although that would bring up the problem of where do you get the whole centrifugal clutch setup thats bolted to the engine IIRC )
I also know the hammond collection have a Model 70 engine and 2 Exhausts, they said they had a bunch more parts but those where disposed of at one point sadly

If you dont mind me asking who are the hammond collection?

1 minute ago, OliD-E said:

If you dont mind me asking who are the hammond collection?

im guessing you dont browse the AS forum much these days? :) if ya do get some free time etc, I recommend giving my own Invacar thread a read through :) over 50 pages of Invacar, and I dont even own one yet! :mrgreen:

https://autoshite.com/topic/34628-hammond-microcar-collection-follow-up-pls-read-calling-microcar-owners-and-working-party-friendsvolunteers/

you know your in the right place when theres a Model 70 exhaust just hanging from the ceiling :)

image.thumb.png.3faf69975f51208216507cc86fb73748.png

im guessing you dont browse the AS forum much these days?  if ya do get some free time etc, I recommend giving my own Invacar thread a read through  over 50 pages of Invacar, and I dont even own one yet! :mrgreen:
https://autoshite.com/topic/34628-hammond-microcar-collection-follow-up-pls-read-calling-microcar-owners-and-working-party-friendsvolunteers/

you know your in the right place when theres a Model 70 exhaust just hanging from the ceiling
image.thumb.png.3faf69975f51208216507cc86fb73748.png

Oh yes no sorry I remember now and no I don’t browse the forum regularly sadly don’t have much time too

Oh epic stuff! thats exactly what your looking for :)

im happy to see he is finally selling it, if you dont mind me asking how much is he asking for it BTW?

because it only cost him £50 or so IIRC...

I still dont know why he bid against Zel (who had KPL at the time) when he just sold his own Model 70 chassis....

Oh epic stuff! thats exactly what your looking for
im happy to see he is finally selling it, if you dont mind me asking how much is he asking for it BTW?
because it only cost him £50 or so IIRC...
I still dont know why he bid against Zel (who had KPL at the time) when he just sold his own Model 70 chassis....

He is not sure how much he is selling it for yet and he bought it with the intention of making moulds from it in order to fix other invacars

Yeah I spotted that on ebay a couple days ago :)

I recommend keeping an eye on the seller in general, he has slowly been listing various Model 70 bits n bobs

so whats the plan for the body exactly? remove whats left of the old body work from KPL and drop the new body work on the bare chassis? :)

if you got space for it, id recommending holding onto whats left of KPLs body work, i know theres not much left but some of it is still useful, for one IIRC the roof is in good shape :) 

28 minutes ago, 500tops said:

I like the idea of taking moulds. I'm sure LBF said there were more chassis' than bodies left. Be great to see more returned to the road as even I'll admit, they look like great fun and remarkable practical.

indeed I would love for new bodies/sections to be made up :)

I talked to the (for now) current owner of the body shell and he mentioned something about taking moulds and making sections etc, but that there not being enough demand

it did make me think to myself, "how much demand did you expect there to be?" in total theres only 79 documented surviving Model 70s sadly, with stuart estimating there to be about 100 out there total and most of those do have intact bodies

I know in the early days of invacars on autoshite it was said there where more Model 70 chassis then intact Model 70s, however I only know of 4 Model 70 rolling chassis, (inc KPL)

but its worth noting that on Autoshite until I jumped into the fray, people didn't know there where (relatively speaking) so many survivors still out there :) 

and however while a lot of the Model 70s from where from where TWC and TPA came from, have/had bodies for the most part, a bunch sadly have sections that are quite badly damaged, which is where I believe where partly the thought that there are more Model 70 chassis then there are bodies, may have also originated from

image.png.087694e79553bff83935dea46b19f249.png

image.thumb.png.4666a8fa2b4fea3ec014e3e8cce7657a.png

Xh18oSqQ.jpeg

Yeah I spotted that on ebay a couple days ago
I recommend keeping an eye on the seller in general, he has slowly been listing various Model 70 bits n bobs
so whats the plan for the body exactly? remove whats left of the old body work from KPL and drop the new body work on the bare chassis? 
if you got space for it, id recommending holding onto whats left of KPLs body work, i know theres not much left but some of it is still useful, for one IIRC the roof is in good shape  

The plan is to remove the front and rear section from KPL and keep KPLs roof on in order to keep whatever is salvageable i think i will probably keep the damaged front and rear

Yeah I spotted that on ebay a couple days ago
so whats the plan for the body exactly? remove whats left of the old body work from KPL and drop the new body work on the bare chassis? 
if you got space for it, id recommending holding onto whats left of KPLs body work, i know theres not much left but some of it is still useful, for one IIRC the roof is in good shape  

Also the seller is the same person who has the NOS body he has also told me he has two NOS floorpans do i think i might buy one of those aswell

Sounds like a plan :)

I was wondering about the floor, glad to hear theres something there too, are they steel or ally floor plans? I have read that in the early 2000s the instruction went out to retrofit ally floor plans to all Model 70s, but I have never had it properly verified sadly

I know when he got the body he was also given a whole bunch of other Model 70 spare parts, might be worth feeling out what else he has incase you need any of it :)

Sounds like a plan 
I was wondering about the floor, glad to hear theres something there too, are they steel or ally floor plans? I have read that in the early 2000s the instruction went out to retrofit ally floor plans to all Model 70s, but I have never had it properly verified sadly
I know when he got the body he was also given a whole bunch of other Model 70 spare parts, might be worth feeling out what else he has incase you need any of it

The floor pans he has are ally so possibly spares from when they changed them although KPL never had an ally one but i suppose she wasnt on the road in the early 2000s i have sent him a list of what i think i need so we will see what he gets back to me with

14 minutes ago, OliD-E said:

The floor pans he has are ally so possibly spares from when they changed them although KPL never had an ally one but i suppose she wasnt on the road in the early 2000s i have sent him a list of what i think i need so we will see what he gets back to me with emoji16.png

interesting stuff :) I do wonder how old is that NOS body, did they stock pile bodies when production ended in 1978, or was there somewhere churning out small number of bodies until the early 2000s?

yeah KPL has been off the road for a good while, Tax expired 1st of march 1991!

BTW does the chassis number on the front suspension top mount match what the V5 says/whats on the VIN plate in the car?

I recall Zel mentioning that the chassis number on the V5 was not even in the same format as what was on the Chassis itself so im curious what everything says exactly

(I have KPL50Ps chassis number and thats an Lxx car, not a survivor AFAIK sadly, just one that survived until 2002 so I was able to pull up its VIN number with my tools)

interesting stuff  I do wonder how old is that NOS body, did they stock pile bodies when production ended in 1978, or was there somewhere churning out small number of bodies until the early 2000s?
yeah KPL has been off the road for a good while, Tax expired 1st of march 1991!
BTW does the chassis number on the front suspension top mount match what the V5 says/whats on the VIN plate in the car?
I recall Zel mentioning that the chassis number on the V5 was not even in the same format as what was on the Chassis itself so im curious what everything says exactly
(I have KPL50Ps chassis number and thats an Lxx car, not a survivor AFAIK sadly, just one that survived until 2002 so I was able to pull up its VIN number with my tools)

I am not with the car currently but can check either later tonight for you or at some point this week

5 minutes ago, OliD-E said:

I am not with the car currently but can check either later tonight for you or at some point this week emoji1303.png

sure Np id appreciate that :)

no rush etc, but yeah I realised I dont really have KPL139P documented much!

I can see dark(er) blue paint on the chassis, so its still has an AC made chassis at least

sure Np id appreciate that
no rush etc, but yeah I realised I dont really have KPL139P documented much!

I can see dark(er) blue paint on the chassis, so its still has an AC made chassis at least

Yes i was wondering about that i found it quite odd that the chassis was blue i have a photo of the vin plate if you would like that?

1 minute ago, OliD-E said:

Yes i was wondering about that i found it quite odd that the chassis was blue i have a photo of the vin plate if you would like that?

yes please that would be quite handy :)

as for the chassis colour, AC built Model 70s have a chassis that under all the rust proofing etc, is a dark blue colour a bit like what you see on the body of a Model 57

where as an Invacar Model 70, has the chassis painted the same colour as the body, (again tho this is usually buried under all the rust proofing other crap that accumulates over 45 years!)

its one of these minor details you can use to tell if an Unknown Model 70 is an AC or Invacar :) (assuming nothings been swapped around of course!)

yes please that would be quite handy
as for the chassis colour, AC built Model 70s have a chassis that under all the rust proofing etc, is a dark blue colour a bit like what you see on the body of a Model 57
where as an Invacar Model 70, has the chassis painted the same colour as the body, (again tho this is usually buried under all the rust proofing other crap that accumulates over 45 years!)
its one of these minor details you can use to tell if an Unknown Model 70 is an AC or Invacar  (assuming nothings been swapped around of course!)

4a498d0c7b3ccd0b3c298b11f69afceb.jpg here you go and thanks for the chassis info its very interesting!

interesting stuff :) looks like the VIN plate at least matches what I was expecting chassis number wise

will be interesting to see whats marked on the chassis itself, and whats on the V5!

WOI 654 VIN plate.jpg

I wonder what the extra "X1" in contract No had means?, dont think iv seen that before, shown above is WOI654's VIN plate for comparisons

interesting stuff  looks like the VIN plate at least matches what I was expecting chassis number wise
will be interesting to see whats marked on the chassis itself, and whats on the V5!
669253569_WOI654VINplate.jpg.f4afd257733ae54794d676ab2c2ed176.jpg
I wonder what the extra "X1" in contract No had means?, dont think iv seen that before, shown above is WOI654's VIN plate for comparisons

Im not sure what the X1 means havent seen anymore vin plates so hadn’t given it much notice