Floatylights Fleet - And then there were 3 - SLK Gone..

Floatylight

As far as i am aware the dpf is intact; it was jet washed out 2-3 years ago by the fitters at work. It was Passive and active regenerating as it should under normal driving conditions. Since changing the manifold it would do a big clear out of black smoke every now and then before settling back to normal or doing a full on grey smoke regen.

As it doesn’t do a wastegate/dump valve whoosh on gear change that was the next thing I was going to investigate. Last fault codes I had were p0400 (failed EGR) and p0234 (turbo overboost )

Update time.

Replacement second hand intercooler arrived and was fitted today. Went for a drive and it threw P0234, cleared it, went for another drove and seems much happier, definitely more boost. Will check and the small sensor pipes. Tomorrow hope to fit the £10 droplinks and lubricate the heater fan.

May press into work use on Monday for a trip to Bedford and see how I get on.

Suspect the thermostat is stuck open as it only get to 50 degrees according to the obd, unfortunately doesn't seem possible to get just a thermostat and comes as a complete assembly at £60!

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

First day out and about in the Saab today, running much better but still a bit slow to spool up the turbo at lower revs, sometimes throws an eml if revved to the red line. Need to check some of the smaller pipes for leaks but now the bloody bonnet release won't work... FFS!!!

Managed to open Bonnet & adjust release mechanism.

Decided to do an oil & filter change before putting into work use so bits ordered! Also ordered a rear wiper blade from ECP for under £4!

Back using Picasso for work, as log as I take it easy it keeps on plodding on..

This weekend's updates:- Saab heater fan replaced with one which was in the boot which after a bit of lubrication was squeek free, replaced a small piece of hose which seemed a bit damaged in the boost circuit and put on a spare battery borrowed from[mention=17429]sutty2006[/mention] while I sort warranty replacement from Tayna.

Went for a drive, still not boosting properly and when revved to 4k throws an eml, ungrateful baxtered! Also still letting water in from what seems to be driver's a pillar but not sign of any drains in that area..

In other news Smoll FL's C3 has an intermittent injector fault...

So this week the Saab has been deployed as WBOD / Work hack, first long haul today to Aylesbury & back (240 miles) same tomorrow. (Used the C4GP on Monday for Southampton & back)

No major issues to report, seems to be getting better with use, still issues with boost below 3k revs, need to get an oil & filter done and replace thermostat as rarely gets up to temp, still need to replace drop links..

But over 55 mpgees and didn't look too shabby.

Contemplating running a challenge to see what I can end up with after 12m of reinvesting mileage allowances into upgrading cars.. 20k miles at HMRC rates...0bad3a1886fb000afb209367373e8196.jpg0169334ca11227e5d102ecaaa4a67a53.jpg

Decided to discontinue using the Saab for long journeys until I've had time/daylight/no rain to do an oil & filter change, fit the new thermostat and replace the coolant, unfortunately the combination of time/daylight and no rain looks unlikely for the foreseeable.

C4GP has now started showing its displeasure at being driven with a blocked DPF so I've ordered a replacement, also due a service so I've ordered the bits to do that as well.

Just hope the stars align so I've got a chance of getting one of them in decent running order... feeling a bit dissilusioned TBH!!

• 1 month later...

Update.

Changed the thermostat on the Saab and now runs at correct temp and been using for work, done over 1500 miles in it now.

Got a noisy tensioner somewhere so ideally would fit the cambelt kit, water pump & bottom pulley that came with it, courtesy of Dozeydustman but might move it on after doing the droplinks, oil and filter..

Assuming the Saab is the z19dth 1.9 tid version are you aware that if the EGR isnt working quite right it’ll have no boost low down the revs?

might be worth while removing it, cleaning it and freeing it up and firing it back together just in case. Mine used to stick for fun sometimes causing no boat below 2500ish rpm

Assuming the Saab is the z19dth 1.9 tid version are you aware that if the EGR isnt working quite right it’ll have no boost low down the revs?

might be worth while removing it, cleaning it and freeing it up and firing it back together just in case. Mine used to stick for fun sometimes causing no boat below 2500ish rpm
It is the z19dth, it's had a new EGR this year (I think) but the MAP sensor was so cacked up I wonder if the EGR needs cleaning again.

I think.maybe not getting up to temp may have been causing other issues..

Quick update, replaced the rocker cover on the c4gp today as it appeared loads of oil was coming out of the breather but also established I have a chuffing injector, so do I do it myself or farm it out, a quick look on you tube and it doesnt look too bad.

In other news Delivery of Saab / Collection of replacement organised for Sunday and have an incoming Zafira as well, so Zafira (1.9cdti 120 Design) 6 Speed 1/2 Leather, decent history, new starter motor, looks tidy, couple of rust stains on the sill ends, c108k miles, I'll get some pictures but if any interest at £1200 let me know.. located Stafford but deliver M40/M1/A14 potentially possible..

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

So, it was fun while it lasted with the Ex Roffle, Dozeydustman Saab 9-3, I've made some improvements, fitted a new intercooler, thermostat, drop links, fixed the keys and generally had a tinker but it's time to move on.. It will be swapped later today at the request of a serial Saab tinkerer, but that will happen this afternoon, first need to get some pictures of the Zafira on the Force Hail Post..