Floatylights Fleet - And then there were 3 - SLK Gone..

Floatylight

Quick update!

Collected the Passat a week ago, now done just under 800 miles without issue.

Expenditure so far - about a tenner - indicator bulb, new key case and rear wiper blade, could also do with front blades, a really good wash, t cut & polish and a carpet shampoo, but a lovely thing to drive

Not much time to do anything else but injector seal kit arrived for c4gp and established the water leaks of of the Zafira when parked, so needs sorting before I push the for sale post.

Happy days!

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Managed to get home early today and set a out radiator replacement on the Zafira, appears they built the car around the rad..

Almost done, just need to refill the coolant, bleed and put the bumper back on then a push on the sale on here before braving gumtree /fb, some please someone buy it and save me from torture..ed9cbe9d42de4db8781cbd42ab275db6.jpg276ce68d0a9529ef5038abb33d070c8a.jpg90fe7989f64ab4d14c0f7d167374fc80.jpg

On 1/18/2020 at 11:17 PM, Floatylight said:

Quick update!

Collected the Passat a week ago, now done just under 800 miles without issue.

Expenditure so far - about a tenner - indicator bulb, new key case and rear wiper blade, could also do with front blades, a really good wash, t cut & polish and a carpet shampoo, but a lovely thing to drive

Not much time to do anything else but injector seal kit arrived for c4gp and established the water leaks of of the Zafira when parked, so needs sorting before I push the for sale post.

Happy days!

Sorry about the carpets.... KIDS!!!

Back to normality, Zafira sold after some issues when the fusebox filled with water.

Passat in daily use for work

Mazda 3 definitely has performance issues but mot sure where to start,  plugs? Coil packs?

C4GP needs me to get my finger out and fit the dpf thats sat in the boot for months and change an injector seal.

In other news SmollFL's C3 has been off the road due to injector failure, I got a new rail and 4 injectors from the scrap yard for a tenner and the garage fitted them (it was already there as it broke down while I was away for work) replacement front hub also procured, will be goin back to the garage to be fitted..

19 hours ago, Floatylight said:

Back to normality, Zafira sold after some issues when the fusebox filled with water.

Passat in daily use for work

Mazda 3 definitely has performance issues but mot sure where to start,  plugs? Coil packs?

C4GP needs me to get my finger out and fit the dpf thats sat in the boot for months and change an injector seal.

In other news SmollFL's C3 has been off the road due to injector failure, I got a new rail and 4 injectors from the scrap yard for a tenner and the garage fitted them (it was already there as it broke down while I was away for work) replacement front hub also procured, will be goin back to the garage to be fitted..

Im glad the Passat is behaving itself.

Passat MOT failure, now for sale for £250 but think I will probably end up fixing it if no takers, done 250 miles in it today after sorting the dangerous failure point and runs sweet as a nut.

Also ordered a pair of tyres for the C4GP from Oponeo.. £34 each...81a58998268c43a3d19251b4897f5e86.jpg

8f81e21c43075653a21f5998fc07a7e3.jpg

On 2/18/2020 at 12:10 AM, Floatylight said:

Passat MOT failure, now for sale for £250 but think I will probably end up fixing it if no takers, done 250 miles in it today after sorting the dangerous failure point and runs sweet as a nut.

Also ordered a pair of tyres for the C4GP from Oponeo.. £34 each...81a58998268c43a3d19251b4897f5e86.jpg

8f81e21c43075653a21f5998fc07a7e3.jpg

Thats strange, it had new drive shafts less than 6 motnhs ago for a start! 

I have the receipts to prove that, 

1 hour ago, cpjitservices said:

Thats strange, it had new drive shafts less than 6 motnhs ago for a start! 

I have the receipts to prove that,

The cheap rubbers used on cheaper aftermarket stuff is often utter shite and can perish / split within a few months - ball joint covers seem to be particularly prone in my experience, but seen CV boots split in double quick time too.

FFS! Just coming up the street after walking the dog a notice an oil slick going down the street, looks like something catastrophic has failed on the C3 and let most of the oil out...

Will try and get it to the garage tomorrow and get them to sort...

Never rains etc...

Today has seen two new tyres on the front of Mrs FL's Mazda 3.

It turned out to have two different sizes on the front which was a worry, one was a 55 profile, one a 50...

Tracking was also quite badly off which has scrubbed the inner edges pretty badly..

Used a recently opened Eurofit centre and got to say I was impressed.

Also picked up a full set of Michelin's on VW steels, 2 of of which are brand new, just need to do rear brakes and get it in for its retest.

60d691a2f2b70146e765281b4c8504e7.jpg456199a011750cc09bb9516597e5ece0.jpg

On 2/25/2020 at 12:59 AM, Floatylight said:

Yes, will be purchasing a bag of sand tomorrow and trying to appease the neighbour's...

I've recently found cat litter to be good at absorbing spills - £1.50 for a big bag of the own brand stuff at Morrisons - I have it in the garage for any oil mishaps.

• 3 weeks later...

Fleet update.

Passat was back in for re MOT today after repairs being done at a leisurely pace since it failed in early Feb, sale was confirmed and waved off this evening.. With all that's going on I'll be glad of one less insurance policy and tax to pay..

The C4GP has been away for a few weeks having the offside paintwork sorted after a previous repair started rusting on the door seam and the rear quarter developed areas of orange peal. It's not really seen much use this year at all, still need to change the dpf and do an injector seal, rear tyres from Oponeo seem to be fine.

Mazda plodding on, much better on new front tyres and tracking done, still think it's not pulling properly suspect a coil pack but need a better obd reader to do some proper diagnostics, will pull the plugs and do some simple checks.

@Smoll Floatylight 's C3 has had a second hand injector rail, front hub and warranty replacement discs and is much better, running well. (also needed the sump.off again and resealed after the oil fell out)

So what next? Smollest is 17 in a couple of months and I've been on the lookout for something for him, I've found something which fits the bill perfectly.. 24 years old almost 300k miles, n/a diesel, been off the road since 2017, needs a bit of sparkly stick.. Perfect! (And free, courtesy of one of[mention=207]chaseracer[/mention] 's friends) just need the current chaos to subside and enlist some help to get it here!

20200329_170118.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Looking through some old photos and found some of my old J plate Cavalier 1.7TD GLS which I had from 1994 -2000 and have done the most miles in so far, did 107k in it, ending at 197k pic is of it about to go on a low loader as a part ex (with a cracked head) for the most expensive car I ever bought - a 2 year old Passat Tdi..fcf0f336f7967f96197ccee78b1f7e7c.jpg

• 1 month later...

The story of the 306...

Some time ago I was talking to SmollestFL about his ideal first car, after consideration of some frankly ridiculous ideas he said a Pug 306 would be great and he had great memories of ours when he was growing up, I started looking round but never sorted anything as I needed as insurance slot and some drive space.

Some time later@chaseracer posted on fb about updates on his 2cv racer project and one his non car friends made a comment about of they needed any parts he had a 306 languishing on the driveway that he could have..

I contacted Dave who introduced me to Oli who had the 306 and discussions took place, pictures were sent and a plan started to come together.

Oli's Dad bought this 306 1.9L D new in 1995 and it became Oli's in 2005 and he used it as his daily until 2017 when a Golf took over.

Ot was clear that the 306 needed some work, mainly some welding around the near side c pillar and inner wheel arch.

We agreed to take the car on when things allowed some months ago and put it on the back burner.

SmollestFL was 17 this week and his Birthday was a bit flat due to lockdown so I suggested we go and have a look today, armed with some basic tools a battery and a tyre inflator we set off the 60 miles to where it is.

Within 30 minutes we had got the charged battery in, tyres were inflated and fluid levels checked.

Following a short amount of mucking about with an alarm/immobiliser the correct dash lights lit up, the glow plug light went out and with a turn of the key it turned over and fired then died, a quick squeeze of the primer bulb, span it over again and it fired and ran quite happily, once warmed up I shunted it back and forth and freed the brakes off and SmollestFL drove it up and down the lane, it continued to run up to proper operating temperature while we drank tea and had a lovely chat, we left the car which will be collected shortly and delivered to us and we can start work on prepping for an MOT.

So far plan is:-
Welding & Bodywork
New tyres / maybe alloys & tyres
Oil & Filters
Cambelt
Check over brakes
Power buff and polish

Nice to do's:-
New steering wheel
Replacement stereo
Try and pull out a few dents

SmollestFL is over the moon as is Oli and Mrs Oli who were really happy that it will live again, they really couldn't face ringing the scrap man..

Further note:-
Whilst Oli is not a member he was aware of AS and used to have a Peugeot 104 which @nigel bickle took on.
34e2676c49641c92fa54f25ac5a8b3ae.jpg304aa64dee569d4a8fa625455466de04.jpgd9d69ffca2e84630dc10180bd4fb40a7.jpg876535fe100bf5831cf2cc4ede8b527c.jpg914755081459c382c761d94ffd66aded.jpg99211a34cc4d3298b8303322609168ba.jpgfa872b6c46c8f0c2698a103b19908d51.jpg

1 hour ago, Floatylight said:

Update -@worldofceri is delivering it on Tuesday!

That’s at least 2 Shiter deliveries he’s doing next week!

The 306 I had still stands as the least favourite car I’ve ever owned... other people love their 306s so ill say it was down to the one I had. That said they are good looking things, and I’d probably have another ??

That's a winner. 306s are good cars, I liked mine. But it just didn't do well as being an estate, and I'd got it as a bike carrier so I got rid. 

The C-pillars on these rot from the inside out (I think it's to do with the sunroof drains), take the trim out on the inside aand check for well hidden rot. You don't want to pull one of the seatbelt mountings out and fail an MOT. 

That's a winner. 306s are good cars, I liked mine. But it just didn't do well as being an estate, and I'd got it as a bike carrier so I got rid. 

The C-pillars on these rot from the inside out (I think it's to do with the sunroof drains), take the trim out on the inside aand check for well hidden rot. You don't want to pull one of the seatbelt mountings out and fail an MOT. 
It is a bit crispy in that area and will defo need some welding to get it MOT worthy..