Ford timelord

Bren

17 minutes ago, Richard_FM said:

I'm trying to remember how many Timelords there are:

One was left on Jimmy's drive in 1991, which I think broke down in Sweden & had it's identity swapped onto a second Galaxie, which I think was used for most of the videos & driven to Spain.  I think this second car might be in storage somewhere.

The car that was bangered was a slightly later American car, with blue paint visible under the police livery.

The fourth was sold to a member of another band, & was eventually scrapped from what I remember.  This was a later car.

Two of them were bangered - the second Galaxie was raced at Swaffham in 1991, the other one (with the blue paint) was raced at a charity celebrity event at Wimbledon by Jimmy Cauty himself, it was a replica of Timelord which we think was a Chevy Nova.  The fourth one was a 1971 Ford LTD, that went to a band called Jesus Jones and possibly had further owners in the music industry before being scrapped.

12 hours ago, Richard_FM said:

I'm trying to remember how many Timelords there are:

One was left on Jimmy's drive in 1991, which I think broke down in Sweden & had it's identity swapped onto a second Galaxie, which I think was used for most of the videos & driven to Spain.  I think this second car might be in storage somewhere.

The car that was bangered was a slightly later American car, with blue paint visible under the police livery.

The fourth was sold to a member of another band, & was eventually scrapped from what I remember.  This was a later car.

There were allegedly four:

1. Galaxie WGU 18G. Engine failed in Sweden in 1987 and is the car that may survive.

2. Another Galaxie given WGU 18G's identity. Banger raced by Paul Bickers at Swaffham 1991.

3. Ford LTD JLE 67K. Briefly owned by Jimmy Cauty in 1989 and sold to Gen Matthews of Jesus Jones.

4. Unidentified Chevrolet Nova. Banger raced by Jimmy Cauty at Wimbledon 1992.

1 hour ago, quicksilver said:

There were allegedly four:

1. Galaxie WGU 18G. Engine failed in Sweden in 1987 and is the car that may survive.

2. Another Galaxie given WGU 18G's identity. Banger raced by Paul Bickers at Swaffham 1991.

3. Ford LTD JLE 67K. Briefly owned by Jimmy Cauty in 1989 and sold to Gen Matthews of Jesus Jones.

4. Unidentified Chevrolet Nova. Banger raced by Jimmy Cauty at Wimbledon 1992.

Thanks for clearing them up, supposedly the first one was laid up after it's windscreen was cracked in the 1987 gales. 

I had forgotten about Paul Bickers banger racing the 2nd one, I know it's been suggested the first is stashed away in his yard.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, jmsguzzi said:

Guy just posted these on Facebook 

920543BB-B16F-440B-9D4A-F74294213C03.jpeg

806521AC-85D8-4647-9FF1-5BDE9C4CB6D4.png

08B9044A-C24A-49EA-96CE-D77049217DEE.jpeg

just came here to post that! heres a direct link for those curious 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/carsyoudontseeanymore/posts/3294519637536245/

honestly I thought he was just talking bollocks or cracking a joke, until I saw that picture

was one of those fun "oh shit he wasn't kidding!" moments :) 

its very cool to see WGU18G before its KLF life, it looks very smart in black :) 

Ex US Embassy - so that's another piece of the puzzle, we now know why it ended up in the UK in the first place.

But if he swapped it to a "bloke who made pop videos"...that doesn't fit, because Cauty got it from Flinton Chalk.  So would the above poster be the person who bought it from the studios after it was used in the deleted Superman 4 scene?  Or did it have another owner between them (they guy who'd just got out of prison)?

(Edit) As for "tearing around some wasteland"...if our research is correct, that wasn't the same car as was in the Doctorin' the Tardis video, because it was the second Galaxie that appeared in that one, and the one posted above is almost certainly Galaxie #1.

Ooh! New evidence! Fresh chance to speculate!

If the story about the first car becoming damaged beyond repair is true, I wonder whether the second one to wear the livery/plates was ever actually a U.K. registered car. Possibly hastily imported in the run up to some photoshoot?

22 hours ago, Pieman said:

For some reason whoever runs that group doesn't allow any external links to be posted at all, in posts or comments.  I remember one reason why I left the group a long time ago now when I was previously in it.

That group is full of fannies.

Interesting update nonetheless.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, I joined this site a year or two ago, I was researching the car. The reason I was looking into it is because I trevelled the same rout to work everyday here in Suffolk. I always pass a big house that every once in a while has interesting cars, usually Alphas, parked outside it and lots more parked within the grounds. I always noticed in the distance well into the grounds an american police car parked up.

I cant remember but I think it was summer the year before last I was on my way home and it was parked by the road side, it was the KLF car, it was a bit shabby but obviousley driving as it was parked by the side of the road. I seen it once or twice in the following days then it was gone.

I remember I was excited to see it, I knew nothing about its history until I started looking into it which brought me here, I registered but was having trouble posting so I left it, I just stumbled across this again and thought I would let you guys know.

So the car was in Suffolk, no idea where it is now.

9 minutes ago, balford said:

There was a logbook issued for WGU 18G on 1st March 2022, so something's afoot...

I hadn't seen that, thanks for the heads-up!  It had been on SORN for the past year or so and is now untaxed but that would suggest it's changed hands again...is it being restored somewhere?

19 minutes ago, balford said:

There was a logbook issued for WGU 18G on 1st March 2022, so something's afoot...

7 minutes ago, Pieman said:

I hadn't seen that, thanks for the heads-up!  It had been on SORN for the past year or so and is now untaxed but that would suggest it's changed hands again...is it being restored somewhere?

ooh interesting!

thats definitely just had a keeper change done, 

and the date of the new keeper acquiring it is from the tax due date, 23rd of February (when a SORN vehicle undergoes a keeper change the SORN is cancelled and the tax due date is back dated to whatever date the new keeper told the DVLA they became the keeper of the vehicle on)

the date itself is interesting because the last Keeper change before this one was also on the 23rd of Feb (and I understand the number 23 to hold significance in the KLF world?)

image.png

2 hours ago, mk2_craig said:

That screengrab shows keeper change in 2020 not 2022. 

thats what im showing here, that after sitting dormant for so long it had a sudden Keeper change with the keeper declaring himself as becoming to keeper of it on the 23rd of Feb 2020

and suddenly now we have another keeper change on the 23rd of Feb as well (so its now on its 9th keeper, not accounting for the unknown number of keepers it had from before it was computerised) 

2 hours ago, mk2_craig said:

I wonder if there’s similar shenanigans going on here as with the Italian Job bus. 

I have wondered such, it is sadly frighteningly easy for someone to get the V5c to a car they dont physically have or physically exists anymore!