Ford timelord

Bren

1 hour ago, Split_Pin said:

If you open your mind and I mean REALLY open your mind, you can listen to their chill out album. It's the weirdest piece of music I have ever listened to, but if you keep in mind that it was Bill Drummond's interpretation of a journey across the Deep South of the US, then it makes more sense. I think its brilliant.

Chill Out is my favourite album. I listen to it all the time, especially if i need to get my head down and get some work done. 

2 hours ago, garbaldy said:

That must have changed recently then as an MOT exempt car could be Plate raped without fresh MOT 

It has to be either taxed or sorned.  

I know a guy who has bought numerous scrapers that have been tax and mot exempt raped the plates and disposed of the remains,. He's also the only person I know that has removed a plate from a tractor which apparently isn't allowed either.

yeah it was people doing exactly that bullshit why the DVLA put in the MOT requirement for historic vehicles, introduced in Late 2021

previously a vehicle only had to be of an MOT-able type, but did not have to be MOT'ed however, the vehicle did have to be taxed or only SORN within the last 5 years (if Longer then 5 years it had to be taxed)

and to tax a vehicle of course, you normally need a valid MOT certificate, so indirectly you sort of needed an MOT, but they allowed some flexibility in it, so when the MOT Exemption on historic vehicles came in it created a loop hole

since now you did not need an MOT to tax a vehicle, AND the tax was £NIL, so it cost nothing to the end user, making really easy for people to what you describe, 

and as you say even the MOT-able type rule was not entirely infallible either, my personal experience with that is all the Invalid carriages which have been robbed of their plates over time, even tho an invalid carriage is not an MOT-able vehicle type, but MOT testers and DVLA people not reading the rules and regulations, mean they got put in for Tricycle MOT's and robbed of their plates etc

anyways to save you all LOL, ill just link you to a rant that I have already gone off on, in the eBay tat thread LOL https://autoshite.com/topic/34511-ebay-tat-volume-3/page/6515/?tab=comments#comment-2558737

On 7/7/2022 at 9:48 AM, Rod/b said:

Chill Out is my favourite album. I listen to it all the time, especially if i need to get my head down and get some work done. 

Exactly what I use it for. Not so much now I work from home but when I worked with some very toxic people in a previous job a few years ago, it went a long way to saving my sanity!

On 7/7/2022 at 7:55 AM, Split_Pin said:

If you open your mind and I mean REALLY open your mind, you can listen to their chill out album. It's the weirdest piece of music I have ever listened to, but if you keep in mind that it was Bill Drummond's interpretation of a journey across the Deep South of the US, then it makes more sense. I think its brilliant.

I never thought it was weird, just a good ambient album, I used to use albums like this a lot in my younger days to coax myself to sleep. There were a few bootleg orb albums I had too which I might have to dig up that I used to also listen to. 

I used to have Chillout on a dodgy cassette I got from the market, with Cautys Space on the other side. 

However, I'm gonna have to listen to Chillout again now you've said that about the journey. Anyone got any acid? 

Its on soundcloud. 

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/EeKDX

Space is too.

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/V1BLJ

Just looking and Morphology and Anthology 1 & 2 aren't on Soundcloud. Disappointing. Might need to go into the loft and dig them out.

There was one track called Orb vs KLF but considering these albums might not have even been the orb, I'll reserve judgement on their source. I used to like them though. 

23 minutes ago, barefoot said:

How do I get to watch the documentary?

I've just signed up to prime & first it wanted £2.50 for me to rent it, which rapidly increased to £3.49!

WTaF?

It’s available just to download on Sky Q, it was ok but it did just come across as a self indulgent biopic of the time they were active so to speak, I get they were fairly popular at the time but it was hardly fucking Abbey Road by the Beatles. Some good footage of the Timelord though.

My philosophy on it is that it’s probably still surviving albeit beyond restoration under a tarp somewhere in Bickers yard.

Vandalising the replica Timelord that a fan had spent many hours and no doubt pounds faithfully recreating and bringing along was the end of it for me I'm afraid. Never meet your heroes.

I'd still love it if the original survived but I'm 99% certain that the one in the video is the same car.

10 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Vandalising the replica Timelord that a fan had spent many hours and no doubt pounds faithfully recreating and bringing along was the end of it for me I'm afraid. Never meet your heroes.

I'd still love it if the original survived but I'm 99% certain that the one in the video is the same car.

Yeah that was a dick move.

As a practicing situationist artist, I think what they did was superb. The problem was with the owner of the replica who, (appreciably at the time) didn't appreciate that Drummond & Cauty had created another, completely new & vibrant artwork of which he, was the custodian. It was also worth infinitely more as art, than simply a copy of a car that was once in a pop video.

7 hours ago, barefoot said:

As a practicing situationist artist, I think what they did was superb. The problem was with the owner of the replica who, (appreciably at the time) didn't appreciate that Drummond & Cauty had created another, completely new & vibrant artwork of which he, was the custodian. It was also worth infinitely more as art, than simply a copy of a car that was once in a pop video.

I'm sure* the owner saw it exactly this way.

2 hours ago, sierraman said:

I don’t know, a Constable perhaps or a Monet.

Don't be silly they where the photos of the time.

2 hours ago, sierraman said:

If let’s say they turned up at yours and, in the name of art, daubed your car in white hammerite, 

Yes I'd be pissed a little if they used hammerite but didn't they use emulsion which after watching the jackel everyone knows washes off.

I thought they'd used white gloss - and it did cause quite a bit of damage, not all of which was easily remedied (interior etc).

Even though Drummond and Cauty stated in their publicity that anyone bringing KLF memorabilia to the event would have it destroyed, it was still a bit of a dick move.

I mean they were massive in the early 90’s but mentioning them to some younger folk I work with in their 20’s? They’d not heard of them... I mean Milli Vanilli were massive for about a fortnight in 1988. Watching the documentary just made it look like they’d had some sense of delusions of grandeur about the whole affair. Even the burning a million quid didn’t raise many eyebrows at the time, it was just the desperate actions of a pair that were winging it. Again, I don’t know the origin of it but latterly they ended up regretting it, probably reflective of the fact in their sixties they’re still clinging on to raising a few quid by creating the stunts like chucking paint on people’s cars. 

3 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

I'm sure* the owner saw it exactly this way.

That's my point; I don't suppose for one minute he did at the time, in fact he was probably a little bit grumpy about it but I suspect that with hindsight, he realises that he's essentially tidied up, washed, ironed, re-made & completely de-valued Tracy Emin's bed.

• 1 month later...
On 7/14/2022 at 10:40 AM, barefoot said:

There were others at the time saying “Oh it’s a work of Art now” and “he should have left the paint on it” etc etc. And how it would be worth a fortune now as a Drummond & Cauty artwork. I don’t agree with that one bit. As it stands it is instantly recognisable (to those of a certain age!) as the KLF Ford Timelord, and draws attention accordingly. As some old shitter covered in white paint it’s recognisable to no one , completely defeating the object of its creation in the first place. 
I wonder how many of those claiming it to be a valuable piece of art, would actually have been willing to pay a fortune for it? None if you ask me 🙂

DF82ADC8-4695-4218-96FE-121EC47B910E.png

On 7/14/2022 at 8:32 PM, Datsuncog said:

I thought they'd used white gloss - and it did cause quite a bit of damage, not all of which was easily remedied (interior etc).

Even though Drummond and Cauty stated in their publicity that anyone bringing KLF memorabilia to the event would have it destroyed, it was still a bit of a dick move.

Yes, it was white gloss. Only removable with copious amounts of white spirit.

“The Rules Of Engagement” as it was titled, referred to the book signing (or stamping as it actually was). Which took place at midnight the evening before the event began. Not the entire event. The event itself was full of KLF fans sporting various memorabilia.