Ford timelord

Bren

• 1 month later...

I was looking at the hunttimelord blog again and one of the recent posts points out something interesting that nobody appears to have mentioned and possibly supports the two cars theory. I had a nagging thought that something was different about the lights but didn't twig what it was. Look at the position of the indicators:

1987: standard factory indicators in the corners of the wings

galaxie87.thumb.png.f7c22f89125db31eb9f9bd79c5000786.png

1988: aftermarket round indicators on the bumper

galaxie88.thumb.png.90e686ff5a2ae503863d2657bb565944.png

What would be the reason for bothering to remove the original indicators and fill the holes?

1 hour ago, quicksilver said:

I was looking at the hunttimelord blog again and one of the recent posts points out something interesting that nobody appears to have mentioned and possibly supports the two cars theory. I had a nagging thought that something was different about the lights but didn't twig what it was. Look at the position of the indicators:

1987: standard factory indicators in the corners of the wings

galaxie87.thumb.png.f7c22f89125db31eb9f9bd79c5000786.png

1988: aftermarket round indicators on the bumper

galaxie88.thumb.png.90e686ff5a2ae503863d2657bb565944.png

What would be the reason for bothering to remove the original indicators and fill the holes?

Well, that one there worked but the lens is gone from the Crap Daleks. 

Doubt Halfords had the correct spare so the old ones just got pulled off- the holes weren't filled, the gap left behind by then isn't big, and a pair of replacements screwed on where they could reach and didn't look out of place.

27 minutes ago, PhilA said:

Well, that one there worked but the lens is gone from the Crap Daleks. 

Doubt Halfords had the correct spare so the old ones just got pulled off- the holes weren't filled, the gap left behind by then isn't big, and a pair of replacements screwed on where they could reach and didn't look out of place.

It isn't clear enough to work out if that is a hole or a dent on the offside, but it does look like the nearside hole has been filled. I guess an indicator lens for an obscure 20-year old Yank tank would have been unobtainium in the UK then. Not conclusive evidence that it's a different car but if it is the same one it must have had a front end rebuild, possibly a result of the alleged hitting a moose in Sweden.

19 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

Those look like MK3 Cortina indicators in the first picture.

I was thinking that too, there's a definite Cortina vibe in that pic and the Dagenham stylists clearly took inspiration from their colleagues across the pond.

2 hours ago, quicksilver said:

What would be the reason for bothering to remove the original indicators

Ease of MOT pass perhaps.  in 1988 it still had one didn't it?  10 times easier to shove a couple of generic amber lamps on than faff about getting something to fit in that fucked wing,

Spent an hour reading up about KLF this morning probably when I should have been tidying the house. They were a set of mad bastards weren’t they, it’s impossible to say what’s bullshit with them and what had actually happened, like some sort of enigma. 

I’d really like to think that somewhere in some dank dusty old chicken shed one of the time lords is still sat there. 

15 hours ago, Richard_FM said:

Not to mention a different grille unless they fitted a new one with the flashing nights

It looks like a different grille, and also some sort of bezel around the right headlights? Nothing on the left in the second pic

On 6/7/2020 at 8:46 AM, Philmanns said:

I wouldn’t believe the Moose hitting / getting shot at by a farmer  type stories. It was standard KLF procedure to make things up (lie) to sex up a story and I’m pretty sure these fall into that category ?.

I've always taken the moose story with a big helping of salt. Having seen pictures of what even relatively low-speed moose impacts will do to a car, there's no way it would have survived hitting one at the speeds Jimmy claimed to be doing. Maybe he hit a smaller animal and exaggerated it into a moose, but it still smashed up the front quite badly and required new parts as seen in its later appearances. Who knows? It could just as easily be one car with a rebuilt front end or two different cars.

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone explain what a "title" is for a US car?  I assume it's the equivalent of a V5 here, but the comment in that advert that it can take 6-9 months to get a new one seems very long for a replacement document.

I've often wondered what the equivalent requirements are to have a car on the road in the US are.  I could explain in reasonable detail what's needed in the UK and how things generally work, but have no idea for any other country.

10 hours ago, Talbot said:

Can someone explain what a "title" is for a US car?  I assume it's the equivalent of a V5 here, but the comment in that advert that it can take 6-9 months to get a new one seems very long for a replacement document.

I've often wondered what the equivalent requirements are to have a car on the road in the US are.  I could explain in reasonable detail what's needed in the UK and how things generally work, but have no idea for any other country.

Here, you must officially register your ownership of the vehicle with the state you reside in. That is, unlike the UK where a car is seen as a piece of property that you can own via a receipt written on the back of a fag packet, rather like a transistor radio or a coffee mug, a car is seen here more like a house. It must be titled to ownership (clear title refers to any lien owed on it, if you purchase the vehicle that lien must be cleared with whoever the lien is with first, or the promisory agreement transferred to the new party).

It's because each state has its own rules on property taxation. A house can technically be moved across state lines and suffers the same issues as a car... but a car is easier to do so and therefore is required to be titled in the state in which its' owner resides. Generally a vehicle is worth in excess of the property taxation threshold and so the state takes an interest.

So, a bit more complicated. Think of it like buying a house and it'll make more sense.

--Phil

Just discovered this thread. Amazing story, long been a KLF fan! Bickers Lifting is only a couple of villages away from me. Strange to think at one time the Timelord may have been in this area!

Interestingly that is not the only link to Suffolk. When KLF appeared as K2 Plant Hire LTD their registered office was an industrial estate in Leiston: https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/03013255

Both Cauty and Drummond are listed as directors.

There is a classic vehicle trimming company on the same road so maybe Timelord is having a new interior...!

It was a friend of mine in the Marina Club who got me in to KLF. This is one of his fleet. He was offered big money for the number plate by somebody building a replica CF ice cream van but being a fan himself there was no way he could sell it.

IMG_2932.JPG

14 minutes ago, Richard_FM said:

I’ve heard vehicle titles are called pink slips in California, though I’ve heard that term being used for the equivalent of a P45, I guess in another state an end of employment form is printed on pink paper.

Ever heard the saying ‘racing for pink slips’? It’s an American thing from the days of hot rods and street racing where you bet your own car with an opponent, the loser losing their car to the winner. Seemingly, it comes from some states using pink paper to print the vehicles certificate of Title.

Heres mine for my Mercury when I imported it. Chicago issued, but not the cars original. If anyone’s never seen one.

795A3E61-E20E-45D3-81F1-ECB1EC7A0FA2.thumb.jpeg.e81b70f092d229310609d0dbf56a5186.jpeg

On 6/7/2020 at 8:46 AM, Philmanns said:

It was standard KLF procedure to make things up (lie) to sex up a story

May I direct the audience towards this fine tome? Bill Drummond and Mark Manning (aka Zodiac Mindwarp) bullshitting their way across the world.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bad-Wisdom-Lighthouse-Top-World/dp/0140261184

4 hours ago, danthecapriman said:

Ever heard the saying ‘racing for pink slips’? It’s an American thing from the days of hot rods and street racing where you bet your own car with an opponent, the loser losing their car to the winner. Seemingly, it comes from some states using pink paper to print the vehicles certificate of Title.

Heres mine for my Mercury when I imported it. Chicago issued, but not the cars original. If anyone’s never seen one.

795A3E61-E20E-45D3-81F1-ECB1EC7A0FA2.thumb.jpeg.e81b70f092d229310609d0dbf56a5186.jpeg

I think the drag race in Grease mentioned it's for pinks, & explains it's for the title of the loser's car.