Ford timelord

Bren

On 1/15/2020 at 1:19 PM, LightBulbFun said:

oh almost forgot

but was wondering does anyone know if the numbers 20317648 on the back there mean anything?

I googled the number, the only amusing thing that came up was the sheet music for Gangnam Style, as arranged for brass quintet...

https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/gangnam-style-for-brass-quintet-digital-sheet-music/20317648

• 5 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, egg said:

There's a new article about the 92 Brit's performance in the Telegraph, but it is behind the paywall unfortunately. But can see this striking image!

TELEMMGLPICT000225154517_trans_NvBQzQNjv

The article didn't say much, just:

The KLF take over, 1992
The KLF machine-gun the audience (1992)

Arty dance duo The KLF made it their mission to sabotage the Brits in 1992. Initially, the band – who had been booked to open the show – had hatched a plan to throw buckets of blood at the audience.

They eventually abandoned the prank on the advice of lawyers, and instead fired blank rounds from a machine gun at spectators before leaving the stage with the message “KLF have left the music industry”.

Later that evening, they dumped a dead sheep with the message “I died for ewe – bon appétit” tied around its waist at the official post-awards dinner.

I have been a big fan of the KLF since the early 90s. In fact they quite literally caused my life to change direction. As a biker and headbanger I didnt get the rave scene at all and thought it was a load of bollox. Until one evening at a friends where several of us had consumed "much beer, leafage and fungi" and the guy whose house it was started playing a ton of dance music. Suddenly it all made sense and I was hooked. ?

At the time, one of my side lines was supplying lighting for rock bands at a local venue. The guy who played the music mentioned that a friend of his did parties and needed some lighting. Well that started a 15 year career in the entertainment industry supplying lighting and lasers and clubs, parties and festivals accross the country. Something that was as much life style as it was work and a whole lot of fun.  Over the years, I have met, worked and drunk with a mind boggling array of DJs, & Musicians.

3AM Eternal was definitely the tune that changed me and I will forever be grateful to the KLF for that as it made my life considerably better than it was and opened my eyes to a whole world of interesting possibilities. I am no longer working in the industry, but still get involved with the odd party here and there, but now use skill and knowledge I learnt from electrical and electronic engineering and "getting things working no matter what" to do some equally interesting stuff in a totally different industry.

Anyway, I only came accross this thread (and the forum) while researching into building a model of the Ford Timelord. I was trying to find some decent pictures of the logos to copy and make into decals. I have since found them ready made and ordered a set. I will post some pictures when I start and of the progress. I loved reading this thread and seeing the work that people put into it and tracking down info of both the car and the KLF. Truly an epic read, but with a sad ending as in so many good stories. Happy to see the ressurected MK2 Timelord though.

And a quesation for @Philmanns. I saw the 2011 youtube vid of the car for sale. Were you the seller, or the buyer of it?

And if any of you see me at a meet. Buy me a pint or a bacon butty and I will recount some of my "fireside stories" from the music biz.  ??

I always thought the KLF were a bit strange, and I never did understand the "doctorin' the tardis" video, as it just looked like someone was using a really shit attempt at a Bluesmobile to crash into some equally shit daleks.

Having read through this thread it strikes me that Drummond and Cauty are a pair of absolute tossers.  There's shock and wow factor, and then there's just being a cunt, and these two clearly fall into the latter category.  Were that my replica that had gotten painted like that I suspect I would have "reacted quite badly".  Pair of shitheads.

Shame the Galaxie got bangered, but given the woeful lack of care/maintenance it clearly received in the late 80's, it's hardly surprising.  Late 60's Americana was never designed to last more than about 7 years, never mind 22.

Absolutely amazing detective work though!

I was a bit too young to get what the klf were all about even if I could appreciate their more accessible material.  I bought a copy of the white room in the late 1990s when I started to collect up music I couldn’t afford when I was younger.   As well as the songs released as singles still sounding great many of the others are very listenable.  It’s a shame they didn’t use the money they burnt to fund the planned black room follow up.

I enjoyed the recent top of the pops repeats from when doctorin the tardis was in the charts I was worried they would be skipped over because of the Gary glitter connection but luckily this didn’t happen.

Let's not forget the late great Ricardo DaForce who made 3am Eternal the great hit that it was.

I think Drummond and Cauty are on the extreme end of the subversion scale, rather than out and out cunts. I think they set out to play the music industry more than anything else. Drummond is quite direct in an interview, but I think he's pretty interesting. I'd love to read/listen more to his own material, as Kenneth_Sack as pointed out.

3 hours ago, Bren said:

What can I say?

I'm glad I started this thread.

I certainly am too - prior to this thread I had barely heard of the KLF, now I am obsessed with them.  I have also been able to put my research skills to use on something new (something I enjoy doing) and have even made a few new friends along the way.

5 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Let's not forget the late great Ricardo DaForce who made 3am Eternal the great hit that it was.

I think Drummond and Cauty are on the extreme end of the subversion scale, rather than out and out cunts. I think they set out to play the music industry more than anything else. Drummond is quite direct in an interview, but I think he's pretty interesting. I'd love to read/listen more to his own material, as Kenneth_Sack as pointed out.

And play they did. No doubt they had a good old laugh at all the pretentious twats who thought they understood what they were about.

And me? I like the music. And when I listen to it it reminds me of being 18 again. With my life ahead of me.

1 hour ago, Pieman said:

Also, @808 Estate - best of luck with the model, I want to make one myself but cannot find a suitable kit to start with and don't possess the skills to make one from scratch.

Thank you.

This is the kit I ordered. Admittedly its a 1970 Galaxie, but close enough.

s-l1600.jpg

I got the decals from here. You need to order "F - Frd Timelord 1/24 scale". I couldnt find them on the website, so just emailed him. Cost was about £8 incl postage.

2c9ea0098cb3bbef1b4c51feadbd264c.jpg

Unashamedly stolen from the net, but you could end up with something like this. The Dalek was a DIY jobby.

1224e957eff5416e.jpg

Incidentally if anyone wants to read 'The Manual' its seemingly very expensive to buy but its only a little book and the whole lot is available to read here:

https://www.tomrobinson.com/resource/klf.txt

I read it in a couple of sittings at work and its fantastic. I'm sure its totally out of date and useless today but it conjures up some brilliant images if this is really how they went about it back then.

Cheers Mr B! Though that still looks a bit too much to absorb in one hit even for my legendary post-lunchtime visits to the crapper, I don’t know if I can get away with being away from the desk any longer than I’m averaging at the moment. 

I have another slant on the whole KLF thing. Some of you know that I run the local county orchard group. Others may know that as well as trying to save and promote old orchards and fruit trees, we aim to conserve local fruit varieties. One of our local varieties of plum is the Aylesbury Prune. It is a small, black damson that used to be grown in vast acreages of orchard across Aylesbury Vale in Buckinghamshire and over into Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire. The London fruit markets and jam trade consumed most of the fruit, but there have been suggestions over the years that they were also grown for use in making dyes for the hat industry (Luton and Atherstone) and for cloth to make military uniforms.

Sadly there is little actual evidence so far of either of these uses being true, but Bill Drummond, who lived in this area in his youth and also more recently, discovered these Aylesbury Prune trees himself and became fascinated by them. He wrote a chapter for a lovely book called  "Caught by the River", which was shown to me a few months ago. I followed up on it and found the extract here:
https://thequietus.com/articles/06477-bill-drummond-caught-by-the-river

This led to a bit more research, where I discovered his international art project with The 17:
http://www.the17.org/about.php

Here are the scores featuring the damsons, which were supposed to be read and actioned in Aylesbury Vale and Damascus. I wonder if they were?
http://www.the17.org/scores/380
http://www.the17.org/scores/381

I must organise myself a chat with Mr Drummond and quiz him about all this...

On 2/19/2020 at 10:17 PM, Mr_Bo11ox said:

I've been well into the KLF since reading this lot. I watched that Bill Drummond documentary about his international art project a while back. Now I'm reading his '45' autobiography and today I read 'the manual' when I found it on line. Flipping brilliant.

I watched the documentary a few weeks back. Can’t say as I’ve a clue what his art project is about even after watching; whenever I tried to guess what the various bits represented I was wrong, but it was an interesting watch.

How did you find the autobiography?

On 1/15/2020 at 11:59 AM, mk2_craig said:

Interesting as always DC. I wonder whether the displacement of the cars original engine was the same as that stated in the DVLA info, or perhaps it changed at the point the engine had to be replaced post-Sweden?

I don’t think the engine was replaced. I’m pretty sure the engine being shot at was just one many of many stories they made up.

On 1/15/2020 at 11:29 AM, Datsuncog said:

And yes, back in September I ventured that Ford Timelord wasn't even a Galaxie either, despite being universally referred to as such - but rather a lowlier spec'd Ford Custom

Indeed. Mine is a Ford Custom 500 although I always refer to it as a Galaxie. It was originally a V8 though, unlike the original  Timelord.

On 2/22/2020 at 12:29 PM, Mr_Bo11ox said:

Incidentally if anyone wants to read 'The Manual' its seemingly very expensive to buy but its only a little book and the whole lot is available to read here:

https://www.tomrobinson.com/resource/klf.txt

I read it in a couple of sittings at work and its fantastic. I'm sure its totally out of date and useless today but it conjures up some brilliant images if this is really how they went about it back then.

It’s claimed it was referenced directly to make a couple of hits including tub thumping by chumbawumba.

On 2/20/2020 at 12:38 AM, 808 Estate said:

And a quesation for @Philmanns. I saw the 2011 youtube vid of the car for sale. Were you the seller, or the buyer of it?

I bought it in 2015. The previous owner (Ross) bought it over from the US. He created the replica and drove it to Spain to visit the scenes from the White Room in Sierra Nevada. It had been left standing outside for a couple of years when I bought it. I didn’t actually get it on the road until the Liverpool event was announced, and that took some work!

@808 Estate I can only assume you’re an 808 State fan, that or you’ve got a Mazda? ? I may go to the Brighton gig on 24th April, Orbital DJ set the same night too.