Ford timelord

Bren

You know, against my better judgement, and despite all the crazy that's running down the walls every time I look at this thread, I probably am...

Place your bets now, kids...

2/1 odds he doesn't respond

10/1 I get a polite 'fuck off' from his management team

40/1 he tells me to fuck off personally

150/1 he somehow manages to put an inside-out bullock into my greenhouse in the dead of night

10,000/1 he actually tells me what happened to the Galaxie

I have no idea but I look forward to finding out!

Don’t get in contact with him, the last thing we need is another stroppy lunatic Hoofwanking Bunglecunt here :)

FTFY

I mean, I like the music. The whole "art" thing, well its no worse than much else that is touted about these days. But ruining someone elses prized motor "because we can, like, 'cos we had a hit record" is just bunglecuntery of the highest degree.

The replica that the clows poured paint on lives in Suffolkj, and the owner is a member of East Coast Retros, he was utterly stunned when the 2 egomaniac wasters did that to his car, they show an unheard of level of contempt for their fans, if I was the owner, both of em would have been punched to the floor.

• 2 weeks later...

I read an interview with Jimmy Cauty’s brother, by (IIRC) the bloke who originally built the recent replica Timelord that got vandalised by Cauty and Drummond in Liverpool (If the current owner had thought about it, it suffered the same fate as the original Timelord in the White Room movie, and probably would have been worth more as an art piece but hey ho).

Apparently the original caught fire and was scrapped in the 90s. As mentioned above the one that was bangered was another old yank barge.

I’m a bit of a KLF fan, mainly on the back of the Timelord, and i’ve done a fair bit of research on it. I sometimes think about Getting hold of a 68 Galaxie sedan to build my own, but then reality sets in. In the meantime here’s a shit old Saab I did up for a banger rally some years ago:

post-3940-0-19205200-1546236846_thumb.jpeg

Also just to add, the photo in Datsuncog’s epic writeup of the “replical with the gold star is in fact NOT a replica. That is Ford Timelord before Cauty got his hands on it. Afternit was bought from Pinewood a bunch of lads painted it up to resemble a cop car resplendent with star. Cauty painted the blaster on the side to cover the star up...

Full story here: http://jmrhiggs.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-supermandoctor-whoklf-popstar-car.html?m=1

Also just to add, the photo in Datsuncog’s epic writeup of the “replical with the gold star is in fact NOT a replica. That is Ford Timelord before Cauty got his hands on it. Afternit was bought from Pinewood a bunch of lads painted it up to resemble a cop car resplendent with star. Cauty painted the blaster on the side to cover the star up...

Full story here: http://jmrhiggs.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-supermandoctor-whoklf-popstar-car.html?m=1

That adds some more valuable background info from before it was famous so the story is starting to come together. There seems to be a misconception that it was imported from the USA by Pinewood but actually the date of first registration for WGU 18G is September 1968 so it had been in the UK from new. One wonders what sort of person would buy a brand new Ford Galaxie this side of the pond and if they're aware that it went on to be a star.  

^^^ This is fantastic stuff folks, keep it coming!

Rather thoughtlessly, I'd found the pic of the Galaxie with the lads in the nun costumes during an online search, and dismissed it as a replica (complete with mock-up registration) simply because the pic looked too sharp and 'new' to pre-date the late-80s. Fascinating that this does indeed seems to be WGU in its pre-Cauty days, and that the chaps in the photo were responsible for changing it from a basic black sedan to its cop-car paint job - even if the blogpost author also takes the line that the Galaxie died in the charity stock car race, when we now have good reason to believe that was a different car entirely.

I'd agree that there seems to much confusion and hearsay surrounding the Ford Timelord, of questionable accuracy - 'interviews' with the car in 1988 pushed the line that it was born in Detroit in 1968, and brought over to Ford in Dagenham in 1970 by a relocated employee; but that doesn't square with the DVLA records which seem to show it as first registered in the UK in 1968 when new (with GU being a London code).

It also doesn't square with the then-common annual change of car, that in the 1950s and 60s powered the US auto trade - why on earth would someone connected with Ford bring a car over that was already two model years behind?

I suppose it's possible that it was an import for a Ford UK director who couldn't gel with the MkIV Zodiac Executive as the Blue Oval's top-of-the-line offering, and demanded something with slightly more presence, but it's quite likely that the reasoning's been lost  to the mists of time...

I fully intend to take all this recent info and re-draft my previous long and tedious post to reflect the latest work - and also make it a bit more readable and less disjointed.

Top detective work, chaps!

Have a look on here. There’s pictures of it in Deep Shit livery (done in paper and spray mount) before the Timelords / White Room livery. Also more about the second car, which got sold to someone from Jesus Jones, and the car which was bangered (not Ford Timelord)

https://hunttimelord.wordpress.com

Note - Some hardcore geekery in here.

I’m trying to find the Simon Cauty interview about it being scrapped again.

Fantastic write up Tim, I have long been interested in this car and I was a fan of KLF back in the early 1990s.

The only thing I am puzzled by is that the car was used in the video for '3am eternal' which was released in 1990 and it didn't look too bad then.

3AM Eternal video was released in 1991 - from what i’ve read all the external shots are earlier archive stuff shot for the White Room. The internal shots and close ups with Ricardo da Force inside etc, were shot on the back of a lowloader as the car was fucked by that point.

That interview also says it was two years old when it came to the UK with a Ford employee. Doesn't give a source but someone must have mentioned it.

Remember the DVLA aren't exactly consistent with the registration of import cars. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they entered it as 1968 registered instead of 1968 built in the same way as you get all those oddities in the Late Registration Madness thread.

I’d take that with a pinch of salt anyway regardless of the DVLA info. It was a Melody Maker “interview” with the car itself following Doctorin’ the Tardis. Beaides which even if it had been Cauty and Drummond interviewed, they were well known for just making shit up in interviews, adopting personas and generally talking inconsistent bollocks. If you wanted to talk to someone about it i’d be more inclined to try to get in touch with Gimpo.

Cracking post there. Some really interesting info. I've heard of the KLF but never really feigned enough interest in them. Nice to know that the Galaxie may still be around.

That’s wishful thinking I’d say. I’m more inclined to believe it was baled in the 90s. If it wasn’t already dead I reckon Cauty would have used it in the banger race, rather than slapping together a replacement for the purposes.

I'm inclined to think that the car would have been optimistic about its own condition in an interview.

Interesting how nobody spoke to the car since JAM days, all our reports since have been second or third hand.

Just wondering - if you play KLF records backwards, does it say anything like "Ford Timelord is scrapped", or "Weigh me in, dead man", Paul McCartney style?

Going back to the KLF, Wiki records an hilarious postscript to the story:

They ripped a couple of samples of Wanda Dee's vocals for a couple of their biggest hits, and in the resulting settlement, Wanda got to very prominently perform her own line in the "Last Train" video.

The hilarious postscript was that after KLF nuked their own back catalogue, Wanda went on a two-year 150-venue tour, billing herself "the Voice of the KLF", real-Milli-Vanilli-style.  Milked it for all it was worth,

That to me was funny enough, but when Drummond and Cauty tried a cease-and-desist order on Wanda, it turned out that NOBODY took the idea of KLF defending intellectual property rights seriously.  Nobody.

After all, how can you defend your rights to a back catalogue that doesn't now exist?