Buyer "sudden death syndrome" strikes again.

Lankytim

It happens on here too. A prolific shiter left a £100 deposit on a car then ignored all texts and emails. Spineless twat, if there is a problem then just say. It's not like communicating these days is hard.

Ha. I know who this was, and the same person let me down twice, once with a sale and the other time with a purchase. Radio silence both times. Utter bellend.

That Xantia was well nice too, gutted I got beaten to it both times it was for sale.

I've bought two cars from here, one was bought blind and delivered, then sold back to the previous owner.  The other was me turning up with money in my hand and driving away without a drive.

You can usually get a feel for a person with a quick chat, and get an idea of the car.

I've also bought cars from Autotrader, Gumtree, Ebay and Facebook, and as a buyer I don't look at cars I know I won't buy, and I turn up with a means to pay, and a spare person if I'm buying, or means to leave a deposit if I'm not with an agreement to get it out the way in a reasonable time and clear funds before collecting. 

It's not hard.

Of course, you also need to be able to tell people when you just don't like a car, if it's not for you, or if you think it's too much money for what it is.  AND be willing to walk away when that's the case.

A lot of buyers seem to struggle with that bit.

Ha. I know who this was, and the same person let me down twice, once with a sale and the other time with a purchase. Radio silence both times. Utter bellend.

That Xantia was well nice too, gutted I got beaten to it both times it was for sale.

Come on then who is this joker? I think we should be told so we can give them a swerve in future

Same thing happened with me first time around with the rover 220. He sent the money then ignored all my messages until I eventually just refunded him and gave the car to someone else.

Worst are those that are either ‘Experts’ or bring a mate that’s an ‘Expert’.

I was selling a 307 once and had a potential buyer bring an 'expert'.  He produced a copy of the RAC 154 point check list and proceeded to check the functioning of the boot light, glove box lid, ...

After a 20 minute test drive I said that the timing belt was close to it's interval and that was it - Sale over.

Forget the boot light, before you even turn up:

V5 present?

is it driveable?

MOT & MOT history

Timing belt / water pump last done & due

Engine service / tyres last done & due.

I've bought cars needing some or all of these but at least I was aware before wasting anyone's time.

Worse are the begging letters, a big diatribe about how poor they are and how they ought to expect a discount given their circumstances. It’s just not relevant.

We've had a ton of this selling unwanted household items through the local Facebook group - mostly for £20 and less. Really, really irritating.

We've also had people wanting is to deliver stuff - and not short distances! - because of whatever sob story. Erm, nope.

I see the buyer in question must be a protected member...would it be acceptable to post it in the arseholes and fuckwits thread instead?

Nobody is 'protected' some things are better done by personal message. 

Plenty of people have also had straightforward transactions with him, I've had a few bikes both before and after him with no issues (but still never met him personally)

I'm aware of at least one member who is apparently notorious for taking cash and not delivering, it is apparently something you just have to take into account. A quick Google of the username usually identifies issues..

If you are turning up with an RAC 1540 point checklist and a trolley jack it shows what a fucking amateur you are. Puzzles me why people like that buy £1000 cars, expecting absolute Pebble Mill Concours D’Elegence and a wad of main dealer receipts 6 inches thick, a 12 months unlimited mileage no quibble warranty with a tank of fuel, some piss flaps and some road mats chucked in with a bunch of flowers on the back seat the thank you for their custom.

I see the buyer in question must be a protected member...would it be acceptable to post it in the arseholes and fuckwits thread instead?

It'll just end up in a screaming argument between posters & solve nothing. Often followed by a flounce of one or more members & snide comments for months afterwards.

It really helps* the atmosphere on the forum when it goes that way.

It'll just end up in a screaming argument between posters & solve nothing. Often followed by a flounce of one or more members & snide comments for months afterwards.

And Hooli nails it.

Not really, there is a dead easy way to avoid being named and shamed as a non paying buyer, and that's to not be a non paying buyer.  If he'd changed his mind he could quite easily have picked up the phone (you know, when I rang it, so he didn't even have to dial the number or pay for the call) and said sorry my circumstances have changed and I no longer want it - And that would have been an amicable end to the matter.  Simply going radio silence and then not turning up on the day is being a total dick about it.

10 minutes on this post turned up about 4 other sellers that he's done the same to, I don't really see why it should be withheld just because he has a few cheerleaders on here, when we have threads dedicated to naming and shaming other non AS member timewasters

I had one recently who kept calling, having a short discussion then kept saying I will call you back at such and such a time. Then on the other extreme I had one guy turn up, very straight forward attitude and polite, liked what he saw and did a deal on the spot. I don't mind selling a bit cheaper to people who don't mess me around, when I know the buyer isn't a nasty piece of work, has no unrealistic expectations and I know the deal will go through smoothly.

I've been trying to sell an XK8 which has been a relatively bad selling experience. It's the nicest vehicle I've ever had around and as a result it has given me the most trouble. A rust free XK8 on a no-reserve auction 99p start. I have had nothing but dreamers, estate agents and tyre kickers. One person viewed and was expecting a concourse car, wouldn't bid, wouldn't say what he would pay and didn't think the car war particularly solid. He decided to view in the dark with his son and wife buzzing around and said no when I offered to start the engine. He also declined an offer to go to the local garage where there lots of light to actually get a good look at the thing.

Not really, there is a dead easy way to avoid being named and shamed as a non paying buyer, and that's to not be a non paying buyer.  If he'd changed his mind he could quite easily have picked up the phone (you know, when I rang it, so he didn't even have to dial the number or pay for the call) and said sorry my circumstances have changed and I no longer want it - And that would have been an amicable end to the matter.  Simply going radio silence and then not turning up on the day is being a total dick about it.

10 minutes on this post turned up about 4 other sellers that he's done the same to, I don't really see why it should be withheld just because he has a few cheerleaders on here, when we have threads dedicated to naming and shaming other non AS member timewasters

I'm sure there are other points of view from the other side of things.

I'm not taking sides, I'm just saying it ends up in a flame war which ruins the feel of the forum.

Happens with sellers too.

Some sellers can be interesting for sure. I think we're the only people ever to actually manage to buy anything from the giffer who owned the Maxi as he has a reputation in the club for being very difficult to deal with - he was fine with us but probably only because we gave him the full asking price without haggling and took the car away before he had a chance to change his mind. He's got a Citroen Traction Avant on his drive and apparently he's agreed to sell that at least once. One guy actually gave him a deposit, then when he came back with the balance to collect the car, the seller told him he'd changed his mind and the sale was off, and gave him his deposit back! It's just sat there ever since.