Free XM estate! Gratis, no charge, Preferably to a good home :)

Heidel_Kakao

post-82-0-96990000-1544349213_thumb.jpg

This was going to be a for sale advert today for a cheap XM with a few issues. Now because some lowlife scum decided to attempt to steal it last night it's free to a good home that will hopefully be able to get it back on the road. I should be angry but I am mainly sad that I live in such a shitty area :( Even if the battery wasn't flat they wouldn't have been able to bypass the pin code anyway.... Well I doubt it.

post-82-0-07397200-1544349251_thumb.jpg

I stopped using it as the battery wasn't charging, suspected dead alternator but I didn't have the motivation to sort it :(

It's out of MOT but is still taxed and insured, not sure if it will start as ignition barrel has been buggered with but may try later with battery out of 405.

Ideally it will need transporting, in theory a brave shiter with a supply of fresh battery's could drive it to a pre booked MOT assuming it still starts but rather you than me.

post-82-0-44025100-1544349594_thumb.jpgpost-82-0-35269600-1544349852_thumb.jpgpost-82-0-91188900-1544349903_thumb.jpgpost-82-0-90175100-1544349936_thumb.jpg

It was and is a good solid car, has a stainless exhaust too. Fingers crossed someone can step up and save it as I don't really want the death of this car to be my fault :(

Is located in Brierley Hill AKA shithole.

Fucks sake

Bastards. It's not good having an old car round there is it. Both you and Puddlethumper have had issues.

I like that Citroen, I have room and I'm not too far away. I'll have it if nobody else does. I don't want to deprive any other shiters who want it though as I don't actually need it, I would just hate to see it scrapped.

Will swap for any 405 parts you need!

It would need to start though, a big old Citroen like that would be impossible to load onto a regular trailer with the suspension down. I do have various PSA barrels though, am sure one of those will fit.

If anybody else does want it though then please don't let me stand in your way.

I hate these sort of ads when the owner becomes disheartened. My truck is up in the Midlands at the moment not sure when I’ll collect it BUT if you want the repairs doing for cost (appreciate you have lost heart) then have it back I’ll help you if you want. You can come to the garage etc and meet the chaps....

Pm me if you want a hand... won’t charge you for collection if you can cover fuel in this instance...

I hate these sort of ads when the owner becomes disheartened. My truck is up in the Midlands at the moment not sure when I’ll collect it BUT if you want the repairs doing for cost (appreciate you have lost heart) then have it back I’ll help you if you want. You can come to the garage etc and meet the chaps....

Pm me if you want a hand... won’t charge you for collection if you can cover fuel in this instance...

What a kind offer!  8)

It does sound like a lovely area:

https://www.ilivehere.co.uk/brockmoor-brierley-hill.html

I have been in the same boat. Get fed up with the car and lost all mojo when the car needs repairs like these - would be lovely if someone could just hand it back to me done. As I say, I will help you with that if you want. That way you don’t have the bad feelings that come with repairing it yourself and you have the car back fixed ready to build new positive memories!

Merry Christmas!

What sort of amateur thief smashes the driver’s door window and then has to sit in glass? Perhaps they were just looking for something to steal from inside?

I hope you find someone to take care of it.

The same sort of fucking amateurs who tried to break into my old 306 twice. The first time they failed to unlock the car after breaking both the left rear quarterlight and the front left window. You just pull the inside door handle on them and they unlock!

The second time they bent the passenger door away from the body and got in. Then they discovered I keep the face plate for the radio in the house, so smashed up the all-but worthless radio that was in it and emptied the glovebox.

No car I've owned since has attracted that sort of "attention"

That whole experience made me properly fucking livid, though. I'd love to find the people who did it, walk into their flat and say "Oh, you won't let me take your TV? Ok then I'll just fucking smash it to pieces then!"

My Clio used to live not far away from HK. Sometime in the dim and distant past, someone has taken to the drivers door with a screwdriver, made a right mess of the frame but I'm convinced they never even got the door open! There's no ignition damage and it still has all the original locks etc. As you say, fucking amateurs.

Low level IQ in that area. It's been that way for a while.

Intelligence has been pretty much bred out round there.

Also another reason to hate it is MERRY HILL. Those words strike fear into the hearts of men.

Anyway, I digress. I don't have that much space really. The French Quarter is getting rather full and I seem to be collecting Nissan X Trails too. I do have one car though that will never get done so to restore the Karma equilibrium of this forum I shall try to give it away on here, regardless of whether I end up with this XM or not.

That always amuses me when the great unwashed break the drivers window and nick the car. Their intelligence level must be in the minuses! I have been affected by an excessive amount of crime in the last few weeks, 3 bikes now and a theft of £50 have been taken from my family and at one of the places I work for, 4 valuable items of stock have simply vanished! Things must be super tough this year for people?

I've had 2 motors nicked in the past and 1 attempted which was the worst really because it was a minter and they really fucked it up and stole everything in it. I sold it soon after.

On the positive side, there are some great offers on the table here to save this car. 

Who nicks old bangers at the roadside these days?

post-17915-0-94788800-1544357472_thumb.jpg

Seriously though, that's a shit thing to wake up to. No-one's ever managed to steal any of my cars, but I've had to sweep broken glass out of at least five of mine after botched attempts to do so. It's always horrible afterwards - when the ignition barrel has been repaired, the steering column replaced, and the shrouding glued back together - to realise that the door won't shut right, the winder feels 'off', and the whole thing generally feels violated.

I really loved my all-too-short time with my XM estate, so here's hoping that this one has happier times ahead.

I have been in the same boat. Get fed up with the car and lost all mojo when the car needs repairs like these - would be lovely if someone could just hand it back to me done. As I say, I will help you with that if you want. That way you don’t have the bad feelings that come with repairing it yourself and you have the car back fixed ready to build new positive memories!

Merry Christmas!

Thanks very much for the offer, it's not really a question of losing heart as I was always intending on offering it up for sale anyway, I am cutting back to Cedric and a daily driver which is currently the 405.

If the offer of fixing at cost could be extended to whoever wishes to take it on that could be very helpful though.

I just want to see it survive so whoever feels best placed to take it on is welcome to it, looks like D Spares will be a default taker if no one else wants it at least :)

Little fuckers. Sorry it's happened to you, James.

Glad there is interest in taking it on, though (if I did, which I am tempted to do, I'd be sleeping in it*). I have some XM spares in't garage thanks to Lankytim's generosity, but I don't think it runs to a window or an ignition barrel. I'm due a garage tidy, so I will check though.

If the Visa Cab hadn't pipped HK's XM to the post, this could have become the AS Christmas appeal...

(*Is this to become the AS Festive Season tradition? That at least one of us has to be living in an estate through the winter months? Bucketeer has flown to warmer* climes, meaning the baton has to pass to someone else? Well, I'm determined, this year, it won't be me...)

Who nicks old bangers at the roadside these days? If you were going to do it you might as well break in someone’s house and fuck off with a new BMW 330 or something.

That's what seems to happen around here these days. Old bangers are safe because the thieves have better* taste.

I'd recommend moving the car if you are at all able (even if only slightly). The psychology of this is if the car is left in situ someone may come back to vandalise it further. Even if you move it a bit it shows someone is watching/cares. If I was nearer I would come and give you a hand. Understand if this isn't possible. The boarded-up building isn't helping either in terms of perception - ie it's an area where things don't matter so much.

Very sorry to see this happen. If you can get down the DIY shop and get some perspex and a modelling knife you could make a cardboard template and then cut a temporary window.

Anyone able to get over and give a hand?

Sorry to hear.  I'd love an XM but have nowhere to keep or work on one.

I did see a video of someone collecting a very dead SM and the way they dealt with the no power/no suspension lift problem was interesting.  They disconnected the prop shaft from the main hydraulic pump and attached it to an electric drill via a flexible link.  After quite a lengthy session with the drill, the body lifted enough for the car to be winched.  But I don't know whether the XM is configured that way.  On an SM the pump is directly in front of the engine block and relatively easy to get to.  Anyway best of luck with it.