Metro Rag Top

The Old Bloke Next Door

Thanks for all your comments. I had been considering buying one for some time which hadn't happened due to lack of  availability, asking price, location.

This one was advertised on a face book Metro group recently, it was local, bargain asking price and delivery service available at a reasonable cost.

Plan A Was driving it up my ramps this week for a look underneath, however on visiting my unit to fetch the ramps this Tuesday I discovered that  there  had been a  burglary  last weekend. Among the stolen items were my ramps, both trolley jacks and axle stands.

Although I have a trolley jack at home I decided that jacking it on a corner was not a good idea. So Plan B commenced, a crawl around on the floor doing a finger test.

This resulted in the rear inner valence, most of the drivers side inner sill and part of the floor crumbling onto the floor. The rest of it felt solid.

Next step is to remove the seats and carpets for a  look from inside the car. 

I'll up date as progress is made.

Thanks for all your comments. I had been considering buying one for some time which hadn't happened due to lack of availability, asking price, location.

This one was advertised on a face book Metro group recently, it was local, bargain asking price and delivery service available at a reasonable cost.

Plan A Was driving it up my ramps this week for a look underneath, however on visiting my unit to fetch the ramps this Tuesday I discovered that there had been a burglary last weekend. Among the stolen items were my ramps, both trolley jacks and axle stands.

Although I have a trolley jack at home I decided that jacking it on a corner was not a good idea. So Plan B commenced, a crawl around on the floor doing a finger test.

This resulted in the rear inner valence, most of the drivers side inner sill and part of the floor crumbling onto the floor. The rest of it felt solid.

Next step is to remove the seats and carpets for a look from inside the car.

I'll up date as progress is made.

May I suggest plan C of putting a ribbon around it and sending it with new panels up to FOAD?

Had a couple of these over the years, really rather a good looking compact convertible and were fun to drive. In fact I wish I had kept one now that they are so hard to find and so expensive for a running example compared to the cost when I owned them. Good luck with the restoration, its worth it.

I've just made the mistake of showing the picture of it to Mrs fp, she is now saying she wants one

The dealer I  bought it off had a job lot of three cars and a body shell shell. 

He said that one he has yet to collect is supposed to be in good condition, but has not been able to inspect it  due to being stored in a shipping container on top of two other containers. No idea on price yet until he collects it early next month.

Depending on the overall state of mine when its stripped out, I will be using gas welding for the restoration repairs. Aim is an invisible repair when completed.

If I decide mine is beyond economical repair I will go Plan C.

More detail later tonight when I return from the Pub.

• 3 weeks later...

Bought another one for spares.

post-17297-0-29251300-1546102643_thumb.jpg

Damaged bumper.

post-17297-0-30122100-1546102690_thumb.jpg

Good hood apart from plastic window.

post-17297-0-02939900-1546102747_thumb.jpg

Low miles.

post-17297-0-42318200-1546102797_thumb.jpg

Seats very poor due to standing outside for years with both drivers side and one passenger side window broken.

post-17297-0-35557100-1546102919_thumb.jpg

All wheel caps present and in good condition.

post-17297-0-68251400-1546103050_thumb.jpg

A dog or a fox has taken a dump on the rear seat.

post-17297-0-54326300-1546103108_thumb.jpg

post-20412-0-60824400-1546191903_thumb.jpg

Not sure whether this would be of any use, but it would seem this company have still got a pair of Nos shells for these in right and left hooker spec. I've always had a perverse liking for the Rover Metro drop top.

Did Pininfarina have any input in to the hood design on these like they did on the R8 cabriolets?

https://www.aronline.co.uk/cars/rover/rover-metro100-r6/the-cars-rover-metro100-cabrio/

According to the link it was developed in house.

Thanks for info on  the new shells, I've passed it on to a bloke who's looking for one.

As a last resort if I decided the shell was too rough or too time consuming to repair, I  bought a new/old stock body shell.