Volvo XC90 D5 Manual - Reading - £1995

Wingz123

Volvo XC90 D5 (2.4) 6 speed Manual

EVERYTHING works...

Engine and gearbox are both spot on as is the clutch. Just changed one of the drivershafts as it developed a click when turning and accelerating at the same time plus there was a little play in it too so a new part was fitted.

177k but engine purrs with no ticking. She pulls cleanly up through the gears and get her into the boost range and 1) she pulls like a train and 2) the noise of that 5-cylinder growl!

Cambelt and waterpump changed etched in under the bonnet in tipex at 159k though I don’t have a reciept.

Full leather, air con, cruise, ONE HELL OF A GOOD SOUND SYSTEM THAT WILL BLOW YOUR SOCKS OFF!!

MOT - I’ve got her booked in for mid next week so will have a fresh one, added to what is currently remaining will have 12.5 months MOT

Negatives?

1) Scratch on drivers front wing

2) at current like most Volvos (well everyone that I have owned so far bar I think 1x S40 a couple of years ago) the petrol flap has come off so requires a new hinge to fit back on. Minor in the grand scheme of things...

She has been returning 42/43mpg back and forth to Marlborough this week sat at 75/80. Round town driven sensibly - 38mpg which I think for a permanent 4wd large vehicle is bloody good. Have it remapped and no doubt that’ll go up even more plus the bhp and torque increase will be a bit naughty!

Hmmmmm can’t think of anything else....bloody solid car!

In Reading so can collect from station etc and all that jazz....

Proper pictures on Sunday....this was a very quick one this evening...

post-24460-0-63534500-1544124954_thumb.jpeg

Oooh- tempted!

Think that's the kick in the ass I need to fling the A6 Allroad into my mechanic to see how terminal the 'ghosts' in the gearbox are.

Would like the A6 fixed - but hey ho always have been a fan of Swedish motors.

That will be one of the ECU’s playing up - solder goes crap. I think from memory there are two on that box - have you lost reverse or is if revving for ages before reverse actually engages?

I'm alright Jack.

I'm sure the XC90 is a very safe car but I'd like to interrogate the data, the articles just seem like Volvo puff pieces. The data is available online but is quite impenetrable to a casual viewer.

If I can find the article I read yesterday again - then I’ll link it. Someone did just this and said, after a lot of effort, they simply couldn’t find one.

Obviously, someone will want to disprove it and - knowing this place - would go to the lengths of killing themselves just to prove it wrong, but nonetheless you can’t argue that it’s a good effort on the part of Volvo.

Or maybe you can argue.

Or maybe you can argue.

Yeah of course you can. ;)

There are (at least) two sides to the safety debate - in terms of health/survival then the environmental element and the broader impact of your transport choices come in to it too. Ironically people who walk are likely to live longer than people who drive huge Volvos.

But how many people have they killed who were in other cars?

Yep, and what about people outside of cars? It's more important (IMO) to protect pedestrians, cyclists, and other road users, not car occupants. It's not going to sell cars though.

If the people driving the huge Volvos can rely on the computer to stop them having certain types of accident, does that make them safer drivers? Not sure about that one. Does the computer tell them that there's a zebra crossing ahead? Or that the cyclist turning right in front of them on the mini roundabout has right of way?

I reckon I'm more in touch with my surroundings in my little Peugeot 205 than in my Honda CR-V - I've had more close calls in the Honda due to my own complacency/confidence in the car... So which is the safer car?

Here's a sane perspective from 1974: https://driventowrite.com/2013/11/02/1974-volvo-244-review-archie-vicar/

Anyway... Most importantly looks a lot of car for the money so GLWTS. Tempting. I bet its a nice place to sit.

Sorry... :)

That will be one of the ECU’s playing up - solder goes crap. I think from memory there are two on that box - have you lost reverse or is if revving for ages before reverse actually engages?

Neither. I leave it sitting for a week or so and it drives fine, gears change as they should. (2.7tdi auto). Drive it for a few days and the changes start being a tad sluggish, just a fraction slower than they should be and car seems to rev a wee bit higher before the change.

Yeah of course you can. ;)

There are (at least) two sides to the safety debate - in terms of health/survival then the environmental element and the broader impact of your transport choices come in to it too. Ironically people who walk are likely to live longer than people who drive huge Volvos.

Yep, and what about people outside of cars? It's more important (IMO) to protect pedestrians, cyclists, and other road users, not car occupants. It's not going to sell cars though.

If the people driving the huge Volvos can rely on the computer to stop them having certain types of accident, does that make them safer drivers? Not sure about that one. Does the computer tell them that there's a zebra crossing ahead? Or that the cyclist turning right in front of them on the mini roundabout has right of way?

I reckon I'm more in touch with my surroundings in my little Peugeot 205 than in my Honda CR-V - I've had more close calls in the Honda due to my own complacency/confidence in the car... So which is the safer car?

Here's a sane perspective from 1974: https://driventowrite.com/2013/11/02/1974-volvo-244-review-archie-vicar/

Anyway... Most importantly looks a lot of car for the money so GLWTS. Tempting. I bet its a nice place to sit.

Sorry... :)

I am genuinely interested in a proper case being put forward; illustrating how a Peugeot 205... in the round... is a safer car than a Volvo XC90. And, for absolute clarity, I want you to win. I am no Volvo apologiser or proponent of ‘modernz’ - but if you can show me, quite simply, how in an accident (in the purest sense of the phrase) I’m safer in one - I will buy one.

Meantime, in the real world...

No offence man.

Does a Volvo XC90 owner have a safer driver profile than a BMW X5 owner for example? Both safe cars but the average Volvo driver may be less reckless.

I would say so.

In my 17 years of breakdown patrol work without doubt i would always prefer to meet a Volvo owner than a BMW pilot.

Make of that what you want. :-)

I am genuinely interested in a proper case being put forward; illustrating how a Peugeot 205... in the round... is a safer car than a Volvo XC90. And, for absolute clarity, I want you to win. I am no Volvo apologiser or proponent of ‘modernz’ - but if you can show me, quite simply, how in an accident (in the purest sense of the phrase) I’m safer in one - I will buy one.

Meantime, in the real world...

No offence man.

LOL. No, in an accident you're definitely probably safer in the Volvo. I'm just questioning which car is more likely to crash, and who dies when the crash occurs. My Peugeot is perfectly safe sat outside my house right now and when it comes time to pick up the kids from school they will be at no risk from it as we will be walking.

FIngers crossed nobody runs them over in an XC90...the sort of people who are selfish enough to drive their kids to a school 5 minutes away from their house are most likely to be doing it in a huge "safe" vehicle like this.

I think if you hit a pedestrian in the Volvo the soft bumper and bonnet that gives gradually under impact will probably help a bit.

If you hit the same pedestrian (he’s not having a lucky day, is he?) in a 205 then his head will be smashed as it hits the bonnet and it buckles, hitting the solid and pointy engine just underneath.

In summary, don’t hit things or people, it’s better on every level.

Nice car :)

post-5233-0-10634000-1544190436_thumb.jpg

This was a colleagues van that was hit while attending a hard shoulder breakdown by a Q7 driver who claimed he had a micro sleep.
It was shear luck that the patrol and member survived with just minor injuries.

To punt up the arse and turn over a stationary fully loaded VW T5 and then be able get out of your Audi unaided is impressive.

Not quite sure what point i am trying to make but there you go...

Fuck it I’d sooner be in the XC90 than in a 205 in the event of a bang. Nothing heroic in ferrying everyone around in something with the structural integrity of Weetabix. I realise this sounds selfish but in the event of an accident I’d certainly be concerned with the survival unharmed of my kids. The people in the other car aren’t my top priority.