My Jaundiced Partner and I need counselling

D Spares & Tyres

My days of being elbow deep in grease, emulsified oil and ditch-water are well over.   So from the comfort of my threadbare fireside chair -  Top thread and essential Shiteing....

I don't mind doing it when it is on my own terms. I've quite enjoyed it so far. The depressing bit is when you are still messing about with it on a wet Sunday night just so you can get to work on the monday. I'm glad those days are long gone!

Anyway, it runs now. I've put it back together for now without the rear mount just so I can move it. I'll change the box at a later date. I'm bored of spannering now. I fancy doing some welding.

Yo D/Tom, hope I'm not teaching you to suck eggs or owt but the Berlingo has a slightly wider track than the 306/ZX, achieved by slightly longer wishbones and presumably track rod ends. 

Sounds like you may have sorted this already if you've managed to drive it, but the ZX rack (if complete with ZX track rods) will make it toe out a lot both sides, you may be able to adjust the track rods but I don't know if there is enough thread on them.

That car isn't being broken, it's engine mount is only being borrowed!

I keep meaning to get it out and photograph it so.I can introduce it properly in the 'ZXs of Autoshite' thread.

I've done all the welding on it and all the suspension was worn out so has been replaced. It only needs a windscreen for its MoT, I just don't need it right now so haven't bothered. It's a good car, I have no intention to part with it.

The dented wing was done by me, late one night. I reversed the caravan into it.

That car isn't being broken, it's engine mount is only being borrowed!

I keep meaning to get it out and photograph it so.I can introduce it properly in the 'ZXs of Autoshite' thread.

I've done all the welding on it and all the suspension was worn out so has been replaced. It only needs a windscreen for its MoT, I just don't need it right now so haven't bothered. It's a good car, I have no intention to part with it.

The dented wing was done by me, late one night. I reversed the caravan into it.

Even better! :-)

Mum and Dad will be very pleased.

• 2 months later...

Done a bit more on this. Got the engine and box out againpost-19511-0-52372600-1551038117_thumb.jpg

Hmmm which gearbox shall I use this time?post-19511-0-69974700-1551038171_thumb.jpg

A 205 box looks about right. Had to.change the selector arm though. Simpler clutch than the ZX one but it means swapping the flywheelpost-19511-0-20237400-1551038255_thumb.jpg

Engine in but not sitting quite right...post-19511-0-56542300-1551038314_thumb.jpg

Had to modify the gearbox mount, that was easy enough. Also had to shorten this gear selector rod. Easier to just bend it for now thoughpost-19511-0-24257100-1551038434_thumb.jpg

Bottom engine mount not quite matching up. Bodged for now, will make one at some pointpost-19511-0-12752500-1551038496_thumb.jpg

Driveshafts slightly too long so I found some 305 ones that were a bit shorter. Minor mod to the clutch cable too(penny washer with a slit in it)

When I started it the gears engaged nicely but no reverse gear. Bit odd but did 205s have reverse in a different place to 306 and ZXs? I should know that but can't remember!

Anyway that is irrelevant as the clutch pedal then felt odd and if you press it there is a stiff feeling and a horrible noise. I've done something wrong but what???

told you im not a natural spannerer...

post-19511-0-96836200-1551038431_thumb.jpg

As the engine I put in was off an early basic model ZX, it didn't have power steering. So rather than swap pumps I just decided to ditch the PAS anyway and put a ZX rack on it off the same car as the engine came out of. I'm after simplicity here. Anyway, PAS is for sissies.attachicon.gifIMG_20181206_134522.jpg

Shame I didn't paint that as well really!

So the subframe went back on easily but as usual there was a snag. I couldn't get the drivers side driveshaft in. Turns out the rear engine mounts which the driveshaft goes through are differentattachicon.gifIMG_20181206_132031.jpg

Tried to put the DW8 mount on the XUD. Totally different mountings. Bollocks. Can't see how to fabricate a new mount. It looks like I might have to take the box off and put a 306 one on.

We had driveshaft issues on Lacquer Peel's conversion. Only one pair of driveshafts would work. I can't remember the exact details though, it was a while ago.

Yes, it didn't like the Xsara driveshafts, it would only work with the DW8 ones.

Even with its slightly shorter 305 shafts it is quite difficult to get the bottom ball joint back in. I've had to separate the hub from the strut, put the hub on the ball joint then put the strut in the hub.

Early 205 diesels had the BE1 gearbox with reverse by first and lift up collar on gearlever.

Hmm, probably the issue there then... I didn't see the car it came out of. It came from Red5. I don't think he knew what car it was from either.

I'm now thinking that I may use the DW8 box but put the 205 diff on it. How hard can that be?

Even with its slightly shorter 305 shafts it is quite difficult to get the bottom ball joint back in. I've had to separate the hub from the strut, put the hub on the ball joint then put the strut in the hub.

That sounds like a right faff tbh. As said above early 205's did have reverse in a different place, think maybe 309's did too iirc?

As for that engine mount, if you want to knock one up, I've got plenty of cutting disks at the mo and a reel of 0.8mm wire for my welder if you need something with a bit more power.

My days of being elbow deep in grease, emulsified oil and ditch-water are well over.   So from the comfort of my threadbare fireside chair -  Top thread and essential Shiteing....

My days of doing this because I have to are way over. Nothing more depressing than spending the weekend including Sunday evening under a car just so you can get to work on a monday! This project is something interesting to do but only when I feel like it!

That sounds like a right faff tbh. As said above early 205's did have reverse in a different place, think maybe 309's did too iirc?

As for that engine mount, if you want to knock one up, I've got plenty of cutting disks at the mo and a reel of 0.8mm wire for my welder if you need something with a bit more power.

Thanks for the offer. I have a lovely welder myself and good steel so I'll have a go at it myself. To be honest though, the fun in it for me is being able to do it alone.

Hmm, probably the issue there then... I didn't see the car it came out of. It came from Red5. I don't think he knew what car it was from either.

I'm now thinking that I may use the DW8 box but put the 205 diff on it. How hard can that be?

Assuming it's the box on the right of the photo you've used, then that's a BE1 gearbox and will be lift-up reverse next to first.  Worth noting that the clutch release bearing is slightly different fitment to BE3 as well.

Easy enough swapping the diff over on a BE gearbox - basically 3 bolts to remove the speedo drive housing, 8 bolts to remove the diff cover, and then swap the crownwheels.  Be warned that the crownwheel bolts have a habit of stripping the threads on the bolts though.