My Jaundiced Partner and I need counselling

D Spares & Tyres

There was a request from one person that I write about this project. Even if only him and myself are interested then at least it's like a diary entry for myself.

So here is my projectpost-19511-0-19406600-1544089089_thumb.jpg

Yes it's a 53 plate so practically brand new but the underpinnings are old. I'm assuming everyone knows that the front ends on these are 306 / ZX based, so it's in good company here.post-19511-0-94239300-1544089195_thumb.jpg

ANYway, a friends dad has owned this for 6 years and it has been a good van. Zero maintenance and nothing much has gone wrong. Until last winter.... He just had his first big bill. £600 to get it through the MoT. Two weeks later the engine seized up due to lack of oil. caused by him not using the dipstick but only topping up when the oil light came on. It has had serious oil and power steering leaks for some time, causing a fall out with the neighbours. Anyway, it went to a local garage and was deemed uneconimical to repair to a brought it back here for him to decide what he wants to do with it.

Several months go by, he buys another van. Then I hear that Harold on the Hill (local car hoarder/con artist)wanted it and would pay £100 for it as he wanted the back axle and other parts. I agreed to buy it instead just to piss Harold off, with no other intention in mind. Maybe break it or just use it as a shed.

A few more months go by. I take a look at it. It's quite straight. No rust. I know the brakes are good because they were new at the last mot. have an engine that will fit. I may as well fix it.

The engine that was in it was semi dismantled by the garage. The camshaft was unbolted. I forget what their diagnosis is was but it looks like the cam may have seized up, don't know as I haven't bothered investigating.

First job to make things easier is to drop the subframe. My engine crane is broken so it's easier to just lift the van over the engine with my big jackpost-19511-0-44452800-1544090066_thumb.jpg

Also, it makes cleaning easier as the whole lot is coated in old oil.

This can came with a DW8 which is basically an XUD but with a couple of Cubic centimetres missing for some reason. They have also made it asthmatic and unwilling to rev so I have stuck an engine out of an early Citroen ZX in it. Non turbo. Many small differences but all easy to change.

Much better radiator set up on the vans than in the cars. Changing a radiator on a 306 is an upsetting, emotionally damaging job. Non of that nonsense on a Berlingo/ Partnerpost-19511-0-94896900-1544090382_thumb.jpgthere is this plastic pipe that comes from the back of the engine, over the gearbox to the radiator. Much better!post-19511-0-50926800-1544090416_thumb.jpg

Next job, exhaust manifold. The Partner has an EGR valve and the ZX has this resonator thing stuck on itpost-19511-0-98134200-1544090561_thumb.jpg as this would not clear the aforementioned water pipe I just blanked it offpost-19511-0-70402500-1544090647_thumb.jpg

The original and the ZX exhaust mounting angles looked to be exactly to same so I decided to use the ZX manifold as the Partner one would have needed the EGR blanking off anyway.

Good effort. 

I had an old shape Berlingo with the 1.8 n/a XUD once, it was silent as a fish and it pulled like a great. 

They really don't weigh much so even without a turbot they're OK to drive. 

What are your plans for the immobiliser? Won't the dash beep like feck without the pump etc connected up?

But obviously the exhaust manifold was SLIGHTLY the wrong angle so off it came. I hate it when this happens. I like stuff to fit it be really obvious that's it's not going to fit.

So, to blank off the EGR it is then. Now, I'm a bodywork person and not really a grease monkey. The only spannering I'm really good at is dismantling and my method for mechanical tinkering is usually simple. Bull - gate.

So, rather than just cut the EGR pipe off flush then weld the collar up I decided to try and undo it and make a plate to fit. Of course, both studs snapped off. I did weld nuts on them for extra heat but it was no good.

So I do have an old tap and die set somewhere but I couldn't find it. Drill bits were blunt anyway. I do know someone who could do it for me but that's half a day out my life so I decided to do what I do best. Bodgery!

First job. Find a washer that fits the EGR hole. Next job, pot the oven on MAX and bake the manifold for half an hour. Then weld the washer in place, grind flat then weld a bit of steel across the washer and to the studs. Then out it back in the oven but on low, then turn the oven off at the wall so the fan doesn't work and leave to cool down slowly overnight. Next morning, gingerly opened the oven half expecting to see it cracked, but all seems ok so far.post-19511-0-37263900-1544092394_thumb.jpg

So with the subframe now cleaned i could see some rust. Looks like old engine oil doesn't really stop rust! As usual with these kind of jobs a went too far on it and cleaned it all thoroughly with a wire wheel on the grinder then painted it in satin black Jotunpost-19511-0-45595000-1544092620_thumb.jpgit's just an old van, Y Tho?post-19511-0-35000600-1544092638_thumb.jpgpost-19511-0-31724000-1544092680_thumb.jpg

...and that is where I am up to so far. Should get it running this weekend. I have to say that these vans are so much better to work on than the cars. Plenty more room and some better ideas. The gearbox for instance, just slots right on. None of that fiddly nonsense with the seized roll pin etc of the 306/ZX range.

Good effort.

I had an old shape Berlingo with the 1.8 n/a XUD once, it was silent as a fish and it pulled like a great.

What are your plans for the immobiliser? Won't the dash beep like feck without the pump etc connected up?

No immobiliser in the old ZX engine, just stop solenoid which I shall wire up to the ignition switch. The later XUDs did have an immobiliser but it was only a fancy stop solenoid under a metal cage which is easily removed with an angle grinder then a normal solenoid can be screwed in. I'll disconnect the EcU on this van. If it still bleeps then I'll just take the chip out of the key and tape it to the steering column

Great stuff. Harold on the hill; Is that the guy in Cleobury with the old forecourt garage?

No that's Deggy, he 's a decent chap. He also owns Angel Bank garage.

NOT to be confused with Honest Harold from Hopton Bank Garage whose reputation is so well known round here im amazed he even manages to sell a pack of Polos.

Good effort.

Or do you use the pump off the dw8 engine to get round this?

You can pull a relay to stop the beeping.

I still have a Berlingo with a mostly finished XUD9TE conversion, the will to finish it is just not there even though I'd like to drive an old French van with a boosted engine.

Scotoshite spannering day opportunity!

This thread is great, the true spirit of Autoshite. Saving a cheap old van. I was, however, half-expecting a turbo XUD conversion. Boo.

NOT to be confused with Honest Harold from Hopton Bank Garage whose reputation is so well known round here im amazed he even manages to sell a pack of Polos.

Lol! Yes! Guy on the corner heading to Ludlow with all horrible cars packed up in the yard, he used to have a Rolls Royce and a Mk1 Rover 825D. I used get my polo mints and Shropshire Star from him on the way back home. Apparently one evening a car driven by a youngster crashed into some cars he had outside.

Do you have to convert it to a throttle cable, is the dw8 fly by wire?

The DW8 is mechanical, it's basically an updated XUD they added emissions shit to.

I used to have to drive these in one job I had, I've no idea why anyone would want to save one. Bloody awful things.

I think they drive nicely, it's a 306/ZX platform with a van body. I liked driving my DW8 Berlingo before the engine exploded. I'd driven modern Kangoos and a Mk2 Caddy before, these Berlingo/Partners are much more pleasant to drive and comfier.

All it needs is some electrics and a bit of welding to the inner wings (TADTS) and exhaust, things I can't do. 

You probably know this D Spares but you'll need to use the DW8 loom on the XUD even though the connectors appear to be the same, and I could never get the DW8 glow plug relay to work with the XUD engine.

Lol! Yes! Guy on the corner heading to Ludlow with all horrible cars packed up in the yard, he used to have a Rolls Royce and a Mk1 Rover 825D. I used get my polo mints and Shropshire Star from him on the way back home. Apparently one evening a car driven by a youngster crashed into some cars he had outside.

I know said youngster, he did a proper job of it too. The car he hit was left there for weeks and was quite the talking point.

Just to re-iterate, if anyone goes to Hopton Bank Garage and goes to purchase something off "Honest" Harold, BUYER BEWARE! Quite how he is still in business after all these years is a complete mystery. I got turned over by him about 25 years ago despite being a long term, loyal customer and have never spent a penny in there since. To the point that I have rolled past his place instead of buying fuel there, risked the bank climb after and had to wind my car onto the forecourt in Cleobury on the starter motor after running out of juice.

Scruff, you local then?

I remember the crashed car. Wasn't it a silver Rover 420? Apparently belonged to his Gran or Mum. I remember thinking it was a shame as it looked to have been a nice car. I did see but can't remember if I took any pics.

I did however take pics of the scruffy White roller and Rover 825D he used to have. I think he got rid of a lot of his stock as they all seem to have been replaced with 2000/2004 Vectras and Mondeos.

Scruff, you local then?

I remember the crashed car. Wasn't it a silver Rover 420? Apparently belonged to his Gran or Mum. I remember thinking it was a shame as it lpoked to have been a nice car. I did see but can't remember if I took any pics.

I did however take pics of the scruffy White roller and Rover 825D he used to have. I think he got rid of a lot of his stock as they all seem to have been replaced with 2000/2004 Vectras and Mondeos.

Yes, very, used to be Hopton based but now Cleobury. It was indeed the lads mums car, he was having big problems at the time and by all accounts was absolutely off his face when he went off the road. Thankfully he's turned his life around since, he's only a youngster and had been dabbling with things that you really, really shouldn't.

The reason Honest's stock* changes every how many years is because the council forces him to clear it due to the eyesore and complaints from people in the vicinity as he runs out of space and then starts dumping stuff up the right of way that runs past the garage. He's an habitual hoarder with a big problem when it comes to collecting. Some of the stuff he's had over the years would have been worth good money but it just sits there and gently rots into the floor.

This thread is great, the true spirit of Autoshite. Saving a cheap old van. I was, however, half-expecting a turbo XUD conversion. Boo.

I have broken loads of turbo diesel and they sell straight away for £2-250 easily but I still have this non turbo in the way so may as well use it!

You probably know this D Spares but you'll need to use the DW8 loom on the XUD even though the connectors appear to be the same, and I could never get the DW8 glow plug relay to work with the XUD engine.

There is hardly any engine wiring on these anyway. I have had to change the connection for the alternator but have changed all the sensors to DW8 ones. Easy job. Not done glow plug relay yet but I have some XUD ones

Been a while since I looked at one, but just to warn you that I think a 53 reg Berlingo will be new enough that it'll have the top engine mount in a different location to a 306/ZX - it sits a few inches further towards the front.

Yes I noticed that and I have broken loads of XUD cars and have many spares. Can't find a top mount in my stock though, it's not something I would usually keep. It's not like they wear out! Luckily I have a spare ZX so I borrowed its mountpost-19511-0-59762700-1544125180_thumb.jpgpost-19511-0-38642400-1544125205_thumb.jpg

Scruff, you local then?

I remember the crashed car. Wasn't it a silver Rover 420? Apparently belonged to his Gran or Mum. I remember thinking it was a shame as it lpoked to have been a nice car. I did see but can't remember if I took any pics.

Just a couple of pictures of some of the crap round the backpost-19511-0-58131800-1544125329_thumb.jpgpost-19511-0-57844000-1544125365_thumb.jpg

There is loads more

As the engine I put in was off an early basic model ZX, it didn't have power steering. So rather than swap pumps I just decided to ditch the PAS anyway and put a ZX rack on it off the same car as the engine came out of. I'm after simplicity here. Anyway, PAS is for sissies.post-19511-0-25265500-1544125843_thumb.jpg

Shame I didn't paint that as well really!

So the subframe went back on easily but as usual there was a snag. I couldn't get the drivers side driveshaft in. Turns out the rear engine mounts which the driveshaft goes through are differentpost-19511-0-24533700-1544125991_thumb.jpg

Tried to put the DW8 mount on the XUD. Totally different mountings. Bollocks. Can't see how to fabricate a new mount. It looks like I might have to take the box off and put a 306 one on.

Top thread title.

Angel Bank Garage was owned by an old Polish guy, back in my day.

Oof, time warp!

The old Pole used to make donations to Polish Solidarity back in the Lech Walesa days from a "tax" he charged on his fuel sales.

(my then girlfriend's dad was a Lefty who used to go out of his way to buy his fuel there)

I lived in Connah's Quay at the time,

the GF was a student nurse at Manchester Royal Infirmary.

Her folks lived in Cleeton St Mary.

The miles of travelling I used to do for a shag...

Anyhoo, Hopton Bank Garage used to have a good stock of yad in the yard back in the day - what is it like now?