Potential purchases: Negative signposts from adverts/environments/vendors.

Split_Pin

Missing star (you cannot fucking drive them like that)

I immediately discounted anything with the star missing when I was looking for mine!

Can I add: adverts with no detail whatsoever and "ring for details." I once messaged the vendor on an ad like that with some questions and got a reply saying "don't know, phone when my husband's in lol!"

If the husband is the one who knows about the car, pass the laptop to him and make him write the bloody advert!

Point of order though: I don't have anything else on my car key. It's immensely irritating having a bundle of keys dangling from the dashboard, and it's equally irritating having to carry the car key around when you're travelling by other means.

Anything that has a fithly interior i'd not bother to look any further. The sneaky angle of pics of big mileage cars to hide the ruined drivers bolster, just general sloppy and badly worded adds piss me off.

Plus photos taken on a potato. It's not difficult to take half decent pics these days.

'Too big/small for my wife'. Yeah, because obviously she wouldn't have come with you to see it and test drive it first.

First my Mrs knows about my cars is when they turn up on the drive or she visits the yard. "How long have you had that then?" Is a common phrase. Followed by " why? "

This kind of thing unless the car is cheap. I know Mercedes W124 rust in holes on the front wings, yes I know they can be botched (I have done that) but why if its for sale not remove the tape to show the extent so a buyer can get an idea. Gaffertape is not in short supply. Both wings on this W124 on Ebum.

post-20142-0-06810400-1544009427_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

A photograph of the instruments when the car is running, but the photo is taken in a way that nicely hides where the engine management/airbag lights are situated....

made a friend swerve a car cos of exactly that

it was running and ALL the lights were on - no they should be out and they should say why not

oh didnt notice that thanks

also

literally a two word description - ive looked at two ads for cars lately

one said the name of the car - and nothing else

the other said - one previous owner

wtf?

The only rule I have is to avoid buying anything from a farmer, the larger the farm the worse the offering in my experience. They've a completely different view of life - tax-free assets, a guaranteed highly-subsidised income from the tax-payer and a mentality of expecting things for nothing, plus a vehicle has often been driven daily in a grinding paste soup of mud at the beginning and end of most journeys.

Otherwise, I've learned to be open-minded when reading adverts. Dreamers and those with daft ideas of values more often than not are reasonable and beyond fair once they're confronted with facts when pointed out in a reasonable manner and it's clear you know your onions and aren't bullshitting. Plus, chances are they'll generally only have had interest from dreamers. Put two dreamers together and a deal rarely works.

I've bought from Bradford/Keighley, from those who can't spell or construct sentences, can't take a photograph, have hidden bits they haven't wanted seen, those who've used false excuses for sale, accents so thick it's impossible to understand half of what's said, receipts for tyres batteries and exhausts passed off as service history, those with Transits in the background, Billy goats in the foreground, 'dangerous dogs' on a chain, litter-strewn un-mown gardens and so on. Even non-English (they're far easier!). Women, especially those who call themselves professionals (but act like they're anything but) can be hard work if they believe they can pull the wool over any bloke's eyes, but the longer anybody denies reality, the worse they make it for themselves in the end. I've walked away only to be rung back hours, sometimes days even weeks later, when a deal is always better.

It probably helped I was buying older, collectable stuff and not shining Audis or BMWs from posher suburbia, but even so had to deal with brazen gazumping in full sight (wrote a post on that occasion somewhere on here many years ago - the end result was deeply satisfying). There are very, very few truly unpleasant people in this world, perhaps too many greedy sorts who think they can blag themselves a better life.