Potential purchases: Negative signposts from adverts/environments/vendors.

Split_Pin

Child seat encrusted with, well anything really.

Dog hair

Photos elsewhere in other listings of other cars in the same anodyne location 

"Bought for my wife but she didn't get on with it"   (aka "She nearly killed me for buying a fucked car" ) 

More than one Transit van visible in any of the listed photos.   

Empty bottles of any seldom-required fluid laying around or in the boot.  Or a long streak of slush puppy coloured piss running down the road camber.  I actually saw an X300 like this today with a hand-written For Sale sign.   And that's another run-a-mile - handwriting like a ransom note.

Plus some that are peculiar to Mercedes Benzes -

Missing star (you cannot fucking drive them like that)

....."nothing for one of these"   written after some inter-stellar mileage 

"This will only go up in value" 

Any, and I mean ANY fucking steering wheel not screwed on in Sindelfingen (which incidentally rules anything out not built there, except for W123 estates) 

Unnecessary and usually untrue references to build quality esp. words like Tank, Vault, Legendary. 

"No silly offers, I know what these are worth"

Anything sold from Bradford

Pics of front seats taken at an angle to hide the fucked side bolster

Adverts without a single pic of the entire car

Mentions of "a few small marks" which usually equates to every panel is ruined

"Flew through last MOT" with no mention of the recurring 15 advisories

To counter some of the comments, I once had a car cloned. All my adverts now get the plate obscured.

I often paint brake drums and calipers satin black as I don't like to see rusty parts on an otherwise tidy car.

I once bought a car from Bradford. Young Asian chap. I got a cup of tea and a piece of cake. Really nice chap. Car wasn't the best though so maybe it is best avoided after all. Nice cake though.

“Never buy a car in Birmingham or Bradford”

Me, 2014. Possibly also others, but you all know I buy some right bollocks so if I live by that criteria everyone should.

Or Fife....

Not that you'd be able to find the fucking thing after two weeks of the "It's in Fife", "What part of Fife?", "Fife mate", "Where in Fife?", "25 Miles north east of Livinston mate", "Can i have a postcode?", "Car is in Fife", merry-go-round.

Oops.

My Xantia is currently parked on the front lawn. It's that or the street...and having seen the mayhem at school kick out time, it ain't staying there. Insurance states it has to be off street overnight too.

Granted...I'd take the photos on the driveway if I was looking to sell it though!

Wash, hoover, wipe over of plastics and tyres and make sure there's no junk in the boot takes half an hour to do and makes all the difference, those are the minimum I'd consider.

I confess there's a bottle of LHM in the boot of the Activa. That's more because it was there when I got it than because it's deliberately there! Next to it is the leather feed for the seats, that's all that's in there...

Or Fife....

Not that you'd be able to find the fucking thing after two weeks of the "It's in Fife", "What part of Fife?", "Fife mate", "Where in Fife?", "25 Miles north east of Livinston mate", "Can i have a postcode?", "Car is in Fife", merry-go-round.

Dome can be forgiven for hiding his whereabouts imo :D

Anything thing that 'pulls like a train'

'Needs xxx, cheap fix' well why haven't you done it then? Oh yeah the crankshaft flange pingfuckit is only 50p, but requires the engine removing to fit it.

Anything from Bradford/Keighley.

Anything with a 'powered by fairycakes' sticker, and the one that really gets on my tits 'full VOSA service history' just fuck right off right there.

What's wrang with you folks?

I see car

Disregard warning signs

Arrange viewing

Start collection thread

Turn up

Confuse the vendor as I know most of the potential problems with the model (Google is a wonderful thing!)

Buy it anyway

?????

4. Profit

Seriously though, I've met some absolute grade a top class folk when buying cars from the roughest places.

I've also met platinum grade bawbags with gravel drives.

I'll even go to view a car in Inverness (my £100 e32 735i manual) with no pictures. Course I bought it, but that was based on speaking to the owner on the phone - she was a nice old lady

I offered to send the money ahead, but she was having none of it.

It's all about managing expectations - if it's a sub 1k car that seems honest despite some faults, then that's one thing.

A total tub that has been glitter rolled to within an inch of its life is another.

I just go off gut instinct.