Dollywobbler's Skoda Pogweasel Debadged One Heck of an Estate

dollywobbler

As predicted, the weather was grim. Mopping out of the question, so it was odometer time! Getting it out of the car was easy. Making this mess was easy.

Dt-Qv69XgAAtYOh.jpg

The problem is that shaft that I'm holding (oo-er). The thinner cog should turn with the shaft, but it was just spinning. So, I reassembled it all (WHAT A BALLACHE), got some glue on a cocktail stick and smeared it on the inside of that cog, then reassembled.

Then I realised that some bulbs were out. So, I went for a drive.

Dt-1rduWsAA73tz.jpg

I saw a G-Wagen.

Dt-xG-TWkAESdyD.jpg

I got HORRIBLY RIPPED OFF by BASTARD HALFORDS. £1.50 each for tiny bloody dashboard bulbs. Arseholes. Given how easy it is to get the dash out, maybe I should have just ordered some online.

Still, it was a nice drive. Apart from the stormy weather.

The end result is good though. I reset the mileage, but clocked up 100 miles testing that the cog would now hold. I refitted it all and went for a four mile drive.

Dt_JPVqXgAAQB_0.jpg

HOORAH!

Is the factors on Glan yr Afon closed down? I’d have thought you’d get a dashboard full of bulbs for a couple of quid in there.

Communism-o-meter.  It tracks the Worldwide state of Communist countries and their influence on global politics.

It was originally installed during the initial design stages and then became redundant after the Eastern Bloc fell apart, so they took the bulb out rather than redesign at great cost.

Bulbs:  Time to purchase on line  some spares?

Also noted all that packaging must be going against any directive on waste reduction.

I was given a recommendation to watch a chrisfix video on how to repair a speedometer. But did not watch it, I learn from the Škoda master.

Went for a drive to glamorous Borth this evening. Very exciting watching the miles tick up! Then, two miles from home, it broke again. ARSE.

DuFxrnAW4AA5w-L.jpg

The problem is, I can't see how to attach the duff cog to the shaft in a way that still leaves it possible to reassemble the odometer. Sod it. That job will have to wait.

The mk1 Favs had a very Volvo-esque seatbelt warning, that when shunting them about drove me bonkers, the wiper arms fading and mirror mounts flaking paint are in the TADS catagory, I even repainted the pogweaselled door handles and window winders inside the car. Note the plastic parts of the door handles externally simply unclip to ease polishing the car, and also repainting the handles, once again GR12 purchase, probably the best car you have bought in a long time Ian, a bit of titivation, and you could well see a profit on this car, values are climbing, and it was the car that saved Skoda from oblivion. Mine even had the mounting and plug for the long gone removable boot light/rechargable torch. The boot spoiler on it kept the back window remarkably clear on motorways in the rain too, weird. Red line is around 5500 with a limiter, but it had plenty of mid range go, Felicias rven had a red and green band on the tachos on the 1.3, and I agree with Ian, the 1'6 VAG ohc lump, just why? The diesels though, I used to drive a Cube van, and fully laden would manage 90 and kept at around 70 would average 50 to the gallon fully loaded, the hatch I managed just over 400 miles on a tank of diesel. After VW firmly took control, I think the brand has lots it's way, and they are now so up themselves, old dealers who made the brand knifed in the back, and the cars are far from budget, and quality is slipping quite badly, just ask Mr Lobster, and countless other people I have known with that awful 1.4TFSi, and OldFord was telling me about how the 1.2Turbo lump was eating turbos. If I end up with a mobility motor, nothing VAG will be chosen. If they had done a Favorit or Felicia automatic, I'd have one in a heartbeat

Check the seals around the tail lamps too Ian, they can let water in, and have seen a few with goldfish bowl lamp units. These look really smart with the Silverline/Blackline smoked rear light units btw, if I still had mine it would deffo have been wearing a set

Got up horribly early (ie before 7am), drove to Bridgnorth. Tried to ignore the horrible front end knock, which has got worse. However, SUPERB heater made up for it. I must have been imagining thermostat issues.

DuXghznWsAAK7Ju.jpg

Did some work.

DuYX7NTXQAAY1az.jpg

Then went to Krown Rustproofing in Tipton, where the Skoda found itself rammed full of healthy product for about two hours. Very thorough.

DuYYFVxWoAAuZt0.jpg

From this angle, the car looks mint!

DuY3zDiX4AELXqr.jpg

He even gave her a wash. Is it me or does the Skoda look like it's enjoying it?

48230428_10156981242043200_2471647266738

I basically spent two hours watching the guy at work. I was freezing cold, but got to examine the underside of the Skoda very closely. There is a small hole in the top of the offside wing, about halfway along the door shut, as some scabby bits at the end of the offside sill and that really is about it for rot. Incredible. 

In between the work and the wax, I popped into a pal who runs a top end bodyshop. He's a lovely chap, as down to Earth as they come and he enjoyed a chance to laugh at my Skoda. He quickly established that it has already been repainted once. Badly. It isn't lacquer I've seen failing, but just crap masking from when it was blown over. That blow over should cut back. In fact, he grabbed some fancy cutting stuff and proved it. It came up like those lower doors (lower bits seem to have been painted in a rather better way, or perhaps just haven't degraded as much due to the angle). 

He advised against using the new mop I've got, but gave me a bottle of the cutting stuff he uses to try. I need to clear out my T-shirt stash, so I'll put some of them to good use. Not tomorrow, as the weather is typically going to be awful.

Odometer sometimes worked and sometimes didn't, so it now has 168 miles on the clock. I'm going to pull the dash out again at some point, possibly after my work deadline on the 20th, so I can properly concentrate on trying to fix it again.

But, I've covered over 200 miles in it today, and really enjoyed it. It isn't at all fast, but like an old Mercedes, you learn to accept that fact. In some ways, it's like driving a BX non turbo diesel. You don't bother with revs, you keep your momentum up as much as possible and you can get a surprising hoon on but it somehow feels relaxing. It's more relaxing than the Rover was. Remarkable. Only fly in the ointment is the lack of room for my clutch foot. That is a pain.

Glad to see you're enjoying it. I thought maybe it was just me being biased and trying to justify to myself that swapping an MG ZT-T 190 for a 61hp Eastern European box was a good idea, but it really is a fun (or at least funny) car to drive. I also enjoy the admiring glances of old men and Polish people.

And anyone who thinks you paid too much, even Felicias are on the rise. Who in their right mind would pay £1700 for a dead Felly that's been off the road four years and for which this was the best picture?

post-20743-0-39096900-1544875913_thumb.jpg

I nearly did and I was hovering over the increase bid button with a minute to go but chickened out. If it's really good enough to justify that price it would have to be too good to use as an everyday car which is what I'd have been doing.

It's a top of the range L&K with leather everything (not just seats) but the thing that was doing it for me was that it was a 1.3 engine and I thought all UK cars were 1.6s. I just prefer driving the Fav to our 1.6 Felly because whilst the 1.6 is smoother and quieter the 1.3 is just more fun.

Anyway point is £700 for the Favorit is well worth it because it's not like you can just go out and buy one whenever you want is it? You have to patiently wait for whatever turns up.

I like the Favorit. One of my old neighbours used to have one, a Forum Plus IIRC in a greeny blue colour. Mechanically was there much difference between the Favorit and Felicia?

Not really. Felicia got a strut brace, but that was about it. You did get the option of some Volkswagen engines though - 1.6 petrol and 1.9 diesel.

You found an L&K Yoss!  :shock:

I'm not surprised the hardcore Skoda fanciers pushed it so high.

Yoss is right - take a Favorit anywhere near your local £5 handwash, and heads will turn.

I'm still wondering now if another £50 would have nabbed it. Howmanyleft says only one L&K taxed even though there were two at Skodafest and they were both mint.

But maybe it's fate. What I really want is a Felicia Bohemia, preferably in Atlantic Green. They're almost as high spec but with a nice velour instead of the leather. Still have leccy windows, front fogs, alloys, remote central locking and colour coded bumpers (them and the L&K are the only mk1s with colour coded bumpers) but they came in a range of bright colours, rather than the dark green of the L&K, which is more me really. They're all 1.3s too.

HML says four taxed and nine Sorned so I'm hoping one of those will pop up in the same condition one day.

throughly enjoyed the video on the rust proofing, I have wondered how it gets done and im curious how it holds up :)

im also curious what other cars do you plan to treat to this rust proofing? (TWC or the mighty Dacia maybe? :) I heard you mention the Nippa which prolly aint a bad idea given how badly Jap cars seem to rust? I am curious how that car is doing seeing as its been on the fleet for about 3 years now?!  :mrgreen: )