Jaypee's 300td Merc - Unbearingable.. 23/07/21.

320touring

Did you manage to resolve the START IT ENGINE STOPPING BETTER issue man, or are you just learning to love the fiddle?

As I understand it, a new stop valve has been delivered, and I will attempt to rectify on the end of the week upon my return from the big smoke (to my big smoker)

• 2 weeks later...

Time to use this in anger today!

My brother let slip he'd bought another engine, and it was needing collecting.

Circa a 200mile round trip.

So time to fuel up:

post-17572-0-89276000-1545432157_thumb.jpg

Funnel was £1 from Tesco. Card is there to stop the veg dripping on the ground, and we had old clothes and gloves.

45L of Veg went in, and a further 19.89L of Derv. 406 miles covered.

28.45mpg! Fuck me.

Due to the veg content it's about 13.3ppmile..better than anything in use on fleet.

Anyways, once fuelled we ran to get the engine

post-17572-0-47773300-1545432384_thumb.jpg

This was strapped in, and no discernible alteration in performance was noted..

We dropped it off at our unit and struck out for home.

Application of the Gutty of Fu got it up to an indicated 90mph and sat there unperturbed in near silence until off the motorway.

Funnily enough the "90mph in near silence at 28mpg" was a trick the LS400 used to do very well.

But it was never 82p a litre to fuel it..

I think it's time to stop thinking if it as a diesel and start thinking of it as a cruiser!

Lovely cars but mine got exactly the same dreadful economy. Ridiculous to think the Saab 9-5 petrol turbo is scarcely any thirstier! Just as well you’re on the veg..

Aye, I wasn't expecting any better.

A service and sorting the blow from the backbox likely wouldn't go amiss, but it takes 7.5L or engine oil you know..

Is that 82p/litre including the pump diesel? Use petrol to thin it down, it's cheaper and you don't need as much of it.

Aye it's Inc the Derv.

I didn't know how much space was left in the tank after the 45L of veg, I didn't want to be wazzing in loads of UL incase it took 30L or so.

Now I know what to expect it'll be getting 60L veg and a splash n dash of UL :)

Is that 82p/litre including the pump diesel? Use petrol to thin it down, it's cheaper and you don't need as much of it.

I found that with no turbo and just enough power, the extra right foot flexing (petrol does thin very effectively, but knocks back the torque quite a bit) hit the mpgs badly and made driving annoying. If you're paying for new vegoil, then adding diesel is very possibly barely more expensive.

From memory, when it was near or below freezing I'd add 1 to 1.5% petrol and about 10-15% diesel to the 124. Fuel is heated according to the cabin temp controls, so in the coldest weather keep them up at max and adjust cabin temp with the fan or cracking the window down a smidge.

This was out on duty again today.

Firstly my brother was using it to haul a table from my parents to his flat as he is hosting Xmas.

Then he dropped it over to me for use this evening - the 20min journey from his to mine taking 1hr due to a crash.

It sat quite contentedly in traffic, no issues reported.

From mine, it collected Mr&Mrs FPB7 ("I could smell it before I saw it")

Henceforth up a twisty , hilly country road to the pub of choice.

Safe to say, this is not the car's natural habitat. Speed was if the essence uphill - mainly living in "double kick-down"..

However, due to having a full complement of passengers, I was unable to utilise my standard conservation of momentum approach, so it was a long old slog.

Happily, on the way home after a fine repast, I got the opportunity to win a drag race away from the lights.

I am as yet unaware as to whether the other driver was trying..

If you won a drag race in this, I think it is safe to assume the other party was either unaware you were racing or busy laughing.

I know I've only owned the 944 for a week or so but people in Vauxhalls keep 'racing' me. All the time. They'll pull up next to me at the lights, then hoon it away from the lights. 

I'm not racing, I'm just driving back from the shops with my son.