Jaypee's 300td Merc - Unbearingable.. 23/07/21.

320touring

Seamless .... I would have just driven south ... On veg ... Parked near beko and sent him pics. He would have got bucket wrong un on it

In keeping with the general aesthetic style of this veehikle, I have black gaff and GINGERCATOR on one side, and silver gaff and CLEARCATOR on the other..

How much are pattern wings for those?

About £125 a pair for pattern (or 44% of the cost of the car) before paint.

The gaff tape was free. Wob won't be much more..

Yes, I am an animal!

Fantastic stuff, you just cannot argue with fuel/running costs as cheap as that.

Aye, it's getting on for electric car cost per mile, with the handy ability to "fast recharge" anywhere there is a supermarket.

Obviously, the cost are somewhat skewed by the free veg oil:)

On SVO from the supermarket (Tesco currently £3.50 for 5L) it would have cost £67.20, or 11.6p per mile.

Still quite a saving compared to diesel @ £1.257/L here (£120.67 total fuel cost, 20.8p per mile)

If I can get the MPGs up a bit now aster the fuel filter change, I'm hoping to see the cost per mile drop.

It’s worth the trade in speed for the MPGs, though slow diesels can be a bit tiring to drive on long runs.

Have you got a Costco anywhere near you? Admittedly a few years since we visited, but at the time it was about £12.25/something like that for 20 litres. Only tried waste once, Lacquer Peel kindly offered advice on filtering it.

It’s worth the trade in speed for the MPGs, though slow diesels can be a bit tiring to drive on long runs.

Have you got a Costco anywhere near you? Admittedly a few years since we visited, but at the time it was about £12.25/something like that for 20 litres. Only tried waste once, Lacquer Peel kindly offered advice on filtering it.

This is better at 80 than 60mph:) you just need a run up!

We do indeed have a Costco - have not yet been near for 2reasons:

1. Plenty free stuff knocking about at the moment

2. Generally Costco sell the soya oil - it's likely to solidify in cold weather. Ideal for summer running though:)

Yeah the run up is the thing. On clear roads they’re fine, but overtaking on motorways in an n/a 306 diesel that topped out around 80 if you were extremely lucky was fun*.

Often wondered if they’d try and ban veg oil as fuel, but suppose most cars won’t take it now anyhow and the ‘stocks’ of old cars like your Merc that will are getting lower by the month.

Yeah the run up is the thing. On clear roads they’re fine, but overtaking on motorways in an n/a 306 diesel that topped out around 80 if you were extremely lucky was fun*.

Often wondered if they’d try and ban veg oil as fuel, but suppose most cars won’t take it now anyhow and the ‘stocks’ of old cars like your Merc that will are getting lower by the month.

I thought theyd have raised the tax on LPG by now too.  I guess the  consumer markets for veg and LPG are just so small that its not worth the admin in the broader scheme of things.

In other news, the filter swap seems to have made it more responsive at partial throttle, which is encouraging.

I also treated it to a new 14" rear wiper - allowing me to wipe the smoke particles that settle on the screen more effectively.

It'll be off on a big old roadtrip this week - circa 800miles. Will be interesting to see how the MPG works out:)

Big trial will be a cold start tomorrow - hopefully it's not too grumpy - it has done 50miles with no hiccoughs as yet

Despite initial recalcitrance on Wednesday morning, and a desire for about 3L of coolant at Tebay, this old tub showed itself to be a bit competent eventually. Wales was reached in comfort, so the Golf fixing could be done.

The return leg was somewhat more assured, despite external frustrations - including multiple roadworks with 50mph limits, and the M6 helpfully* being closed between 16 & 17

With one arm on the central arm rest, the other operating the tiller and signals as appropriate,many a mile was dispatched easily at an indicated 85mph. This also had the bonus of the engine being "on cam", and I swear it got smoother and more responsive as the miles piled on.

The new front and rear wipers made a huge difference, but the headlamp are a bit rubbish.

The first tank came back at 32.7mpg on the free veg oil as provided by shiter JimH. So the total cost was £0.00 for moving 2 adults 476.7 miles.

Second tank should be refilled soon, and we'll see how that went.

Skizzer has most helpfully collected the expansion cap and will post it up presently.

It continues to prove to be a sensible purchase..

Continuing my theme of No Expense Spared with this old stalwart..

The last tank of fuel included 10L (£14.79!) Worth of DERV - from Abingdon services in the m74, as the gauge hit 1/4 and can't be trusted. It was 1.45am, and we'd just driven up from Swansea, so we were not in the mood for running out.

As it turned out, we needen't have worried - it did 529.7miles on 75L (32.11mpg)

In other news, a new pressure cap now abides (thanks to Skizzer for collecting and posting)

It was £8.58. smashing

post-17572-0-06059500-1553429229_thumb.jpg

The gauges on 124s invariably stick around a quarter when vegged, I once ran out in the middle of nowhere, so much so there was no mobile signal and obviously no official filling station for miles. It was November, cold and only an hour or so from growing dark. I didn't mind, because veggability.

MB tank pickup design allows you to limp on for a mile or two so you choose where to stop (unlike the V70 which I found last week cuts out dead, no warning - the computer said running out wouldn't happen for 25 miles, tsk) so I parked at leisure near a farmhouse.

The woman struggled to believe I wanted cooking oil to run the car on and came down to watch, commenting it was all a bit Father Ted. As it turned over without firing, I could see she was thinking I'd lost the plot, but soon enough all six cylinders stuttered into life as bubbles gave way to her CrispNDry. Ah, the delights of veg.

The gauges on 124s invariably stick around a quarter when vegged, I once ran out in the middle of nowhere, so much so there was no mobile signal and obviously no official filling station for miles. It was November, cold and only an hour or so from growing dark. I didn't mind, because veggability.

MB tank pickup design allows you to limp on for a mile or two so you choose where to stop (unlike the V70 which I found last week cuts out dead, no warning - the computer said running out wouldn't happen for 25 miles, tsk) so I parked at leisure near a farmhouse.

The woman struggled to believe I wanted cooking oil to run the car on and came down to watch, commenting it was all a bit Father Ted. As it turned over without firing, I could see she was thinking I'd lost the plot, but soon enough all six cylinders stuttered into life as bubbles gave way to her CrispNDry. Ah, the delights of veg.

I am tempted to pap the sender in some petrol to clean it out. The petrol can then get luzzed in the next fill..

Worth a try once the tank gets low enough to avoid an Exxon Valdez when trying to extract.

As far as I can garner, it's somewhere under one of the hatches in the boot floor.

• 1 month later...

This old bus was treated to a £10 mini valet

IMG-20190512-WA0004.thumb.jpeg.d21f303d6cb86068d3bc6737daae30bb.jpeg

Before getting humped down to Manchester Airport, and dropped off at the Valet Parking..

IMG_20190513_085209.thumb.jpg.69644912e077b4d54a556ded033e3a8f.jpg

Trying to explain to the folks that it'll need a couple of heats of the glowplugs to start from cold (after sitting for 4 days, and running 100%. WVO) was fun..

Hope they can get it started as we land at 11pm..

220 miles up the road no bother - much entertainment had by keeping up with much newer Audis whilst running on chipshop rejects.

It covers miles bloody well for a 321k mile tub, and the om603 is a glorious thing on song between 3500-4000 rpm (80-not quite licence losing).

I suggest folks give one a try sometime.