Jaypee's 300td Merc - Unbearingable.. 23/07/21.

320touring

Great video, brilliant car! I'm a bit surprised it's that thirsty though. New thermostat and engine tune up (i.e. new filter and purge the fuel system)? I saw a YouTube video once of some American who specializes in tuning up old Merc diesel engines and the difference is night and day

I'm basing my mpg guess on the Junkman's excellent doom blue example..

I know he loved* that car

Great video, brilliant car! I'm a bit surprised it's that thirsty though. New thermostat and engine tune up (i.e. new filter and purge the fuel system)? I saw a YouTube video once of some American who specializes in tuning up old Merc diesel engines and the difference is night and day

It's a big heavy underpowered car with an automatic gearbox and a big inefficient indirect injection diesel engine. Low 30s MPG is realistic, maybe 40 on a long run.

Been having a skiddle with this today..

First up, battery swap time! In the second example of "How things were better designed in the past"

Look, an battery, nestling in its natural habitat - under a bonnet.

post-17572-0-65106100-1543878698_thumb.jpg

Moreover, tis restrained by a clamp held in place by one 10mm but that is readily accessible.

post-17572-0-85252200-1543878724_thumb.jpg

And in a triumph of design, the bonnet goes into "Service position" making it vertical, and allowing for easy battery extraction and replacement.

Lastly I didn't code the battery to the car, cos it don't need none of that shit.

I received a textulised message from my brother wot read "Fancy taking me a blast* in the Merc"

I jumped at the opportunity, getting the thing on the motorway for the first time.

Locked up in 4th, I bumbled along at 2500rpm (65ish), leaving all in my chip based wake.

Once at my brother's, we tried to get the fuel flap open - turns out brute force is useful - a damn tight hinge.

TO TEH PUMPZ!!

Arrived at the local Asda, intent on brimming the tank. £1.27 a litre for Derv.. not too bad.

Once filled the trip meter was reset, and off we went.

Except we didn't.

Upon shutting off the car in the prescribed "Vac line to the stop valve" method, the emergency Manual "STOP" lever had popped forward and got stuck under a fuel pipe union on the top of the pump.

A quick wiggle and we were back frying up suppers.

My brother took over piloting, and we stretched her legs on the m8.

Returning home, I chanced upon a clear "local test track" devoid of traffic, and set to it.

For reference, the procedure is as follows:

Approach roundabout and select 2nd.

Transverse roundabout at 20mph.

Throttle on full as exiting the roundabout.

Remain Fu'Gutty and shift as appropriate until the Overbridge is reached.

Current record holder is the 335 with an indicated 120mph.

This managed an indicated 75mph. The box shifted smoothly

Returning home, I chanced upon a clear "local test track" devoid of traffic, and set to it.

For reference, the procedure is as follows:

Approach roundabout and select 2nd.

Transverse roundabout at 20mph.

Throttle on full as exiting the roundabout.

Remain Fu'Gutty and shift as appropriate until the Overbridge is reached.

Current record holder is the 335 with an indicated 120mph.

69b7bfb98e9c019592f0c3ad7bdefd7d.jpg

In other news, the fact that your glow plug light goes out after it starts is a good sign-if it stays on then there's at least one knackered glowplug.

post-7629-0-83394100-1543913918_thumb.jpg

Been having a skiddle with this today..

First up, battery swap time! In the second example of "How things were better designed in the past"

Look, an battery, nestling in its natural habitat - under a bonnet.

attachicon.gifIMG_20181203_133105.jpg

Moreover, tis restrained by a clamp held in place by one 10mm but that is readily accessible.

attachicon.gifIMG_20181203_133109.jpg

And in a triumph of design, the bonnet goes into "Service position" making it vertical, and allowing for easy battery extraction and replacement.

Lastly I didn't code the battery to the car, cos it don't need none of that shit.

I received a textulised message from my brother wot read "Fancy taking me a blast* in the Merc"

I jumped at the opportunity, getting the thing on the motorway for the first time.

Locked up in 4th, I bumbled along at 2500rpm (65ish), leaving all in my chip based wake.

Once at my brother's, we tried to get the fuel flap open - turns out brute force is useful - a damn tight hinge.

TO TEH PUMPZ!!

Arrived at the local Asda, intent on brimming the tank. £1.27 a litre for Derv.. not too bad.

Ahem.

They've had oil for 50p a litre recently.

53ae9bf180a086325c5c3049c1342e2e.jpg

That's just when it'll reach the end of the 1/4 mile if he sets off tomorrow.

Also, why is this badged TD? Is it a turbot or not? You mentioned in the video that it does not have a turbot.

I think your statement is accurate:)

It's badged TD as in Touring (estate) Diesel

All the LHS markets got a turbo option. It wasn't until the next gen of E class that the UK got access to turbo diesel in an email class

I'm keen to try running the 405 on veg, despite it being completely the wrong time of year, its started getting properly cold over the last few nights. 

I think the battery is nearing the end of it's life, so should maybe renew that before any long drawn out attempts at starting on high concentrations of Veg oil.