Jaypee's 300td Merc - Unbearingable.. 23/07/21.

320touring

I was confused by that.

The damp line is on the driver's side of the car.

I'd have thought fuel lines would have been on the LHS as that's the side the pump is on?

It doesn't drop fuel, no obvious air ingress.

The SLS suspension will likely get removed and standard dampers fitted if it gets to the MOT.

previous owner said it just pissed SLS fluid out when he filled the reservoir.

Unlikely I'll be interested in paying 1.5x cost of the car for 2x new rear levelling damper units.

My mistake, didn't look closely enough at that late hour. How soft is the back suspension? If the rear struts are dry of oil or not working there'd be no damping whatsoever and any real weight in the boot would see it grounding. Didn't you have an engine in there?

Removing the fluid bits from the rear suspension means losing the gas springing too (spheres are tucked away almost out of sight), those coils you see are just to stop the cars Citroening when left for a few days and for emergency use. Adding standard rear dampers and relying on those coils alone results in a very floppy back end, even unladen.

If all that's needed is one pipe, that'd be much quicker than replacing everything else.

My mistake, didn't look closely enough at that late hour. How soft is the back suspension? If the rear struts are dry of oil or not working there'd be no damping whatsoever and any real weight in the boot would see it grounding. Didn't you have an engine in there?

Removing the fluid bits from the rear suspension means losing the gas springing too (spheres are tucked away almost out of sight), those coils you see are just to stop the cars Citroening when left for a few days and for emergency use. Adding standard rear dampers and relying on those coils alone results in a very floppy back end, even unladen.

If all that's needed is one pipe, that'd be much quicker than replacing everything else.

Top knowledge cheers.

Re the pipes and their roles..

The damp pipe was at the RHS(drivers side) of the car - so is that the SLS piping? The reservoir is at LHS front, feeding the pump on the end of the cam, so imagine they do run up the RHS.

I may pull the rear wheels off to check on the damper state - if they're intact and not obviously leaking, I may see if I can replace the pipes.

Are they special high pressure pipes?

the damper state

bear in mind these are not "dampers", just hydraulic rams. I believe (much like citroen) that the damping is done at the sphere with calibrated holes. The spheres themselves are hidden in the bit of car between the back seat backrest and the boot seat seatbacks. That panel unscrews from the floor. You have to get bodily under the car to undo the fluid unions, then the spheres come out through the body of the car. Last pair I changed were £70 each from MB, and absolutely transformed the car.

IIRC they are steel pipe, but can be changed for copper/cupronickel as long as you can get the correct end fittings.

Top knowledge cheers.

Re the pipes and their roles..

The damp pipe was at the RHS(drivers side) of the car - so is that the SLS piping? The reservoir is at LHS front, feeding the pump on the end of the cam, so imagine they do run up the RHS.

I may pull the rear wheels off to check on the damper state - if they're intact and not obviously leaking, I may see if I can replace the pipes.

Probably be the supply line which is leaking if it quickly drained the reservoir, the circuit is sealed from the return side if the height corrector isn't sensing it's too high. Avoiding jacking up the back unnecessarily, with a leaking supply line once fluid is lost from the back (the hc would release it back to the reservoir) there's no damping at all once the spheres are bearing little or no load, plus a dragging arse end.

As Talbot says, you're not forced to use the correct MB pipe for the front to rears, I used Kunifer. The damping valves are within the rear pipes which supply the rams from the height corrector, so if these go you must replace with the real thing.

You can break them by overloading/abuse unlike a Citroën - I've blown internal and external seals on the rams when towing fast on poor roads. If you ever adjust the height (it's a lovely easy thing to fine tune with a stainless threaded rod, unlike on a Citroën) it mustn't sit too high, loading the hydraulics above their capacity by increasing the sphere loading. Guess how I know.

My neighbour has offered me some diesel he found in his shed (black can)

Anyone care to guess?

With a new 'stat fitted circa 10% better than you were getting before on a decent run, although admittedly this 'wisdom' is based on my experience of VAG shite with thermostats stuck open.

Jonathan Dyane 29MPG

Davehedgehog31 29.8MPG

Talbot 30.5MPG

JoeyEunos 31.28MPG (based on a 10% improvement on average of 28.44mpg)

Jim Bell 32MPG

The Moog 33MPG

mrbenn 34MPG

THE RESULTS ARE IN

*DRUMROLL*

431.4 miles covered, 62.39L used (56L veg, 6.39 L Derv)

Giving 31.43mpg!

STEP FORWARD Joey Eunos :)

Report on the day to follow once hame!

550 hp on the dyno:https://youtu.be/cS60QRf8X_s8mm elements, OM606 in a 124 coupe body. Bit of a twat behind the wheel though..https://youtu.be/nAsC36R-AGsVarious high-power installations of an OM606, including a lovely 1972 stack-headlamp merc. Also a 1/4 mile run at 13 seconds.https://youtu.be/OSw7q6HpFIQ

My 604 engine would do that, but I’m more mechanically sensitive. As far as I know I’ve never started off in first gear. Manual kick down with the switch Ive only used twice too - it’s scary!

Jonathan Dyane 29MPG

Davehedgehog31 29.8MPG

Talbot 30.5MPG

JoeyEunos 31.28MPG (based on a 10% improvement on average of 28.44mpg)

Jim Bell 32MPG

The Moog 33MPG

mrbenn 34MPG

THE RESULTS ARE IN

*DRUMROLL*

431.4 miles covered, 62.39L used (56L veg, 6.39 L Derv)

Giving 31.43mpg!

STEP FORWARD Joey Eunos :)

Report on the day to follow once hame!

That’s quite awful. My 320 24 valve petrol gets between 26 and 32mpg on standard unleaded.

I know yours is cheaper because VEG, but on diesel it certainly isn’t.

Edit, my last CX a 2.5 DTR Turbo 1 ( no intercooler) got 45mpg on average on diesel, but could do 55mpg if I didn’t go over 70mph.

And so to the oil service.

After a run out to get scran in for lunch, the Merc was up to temp, and oil extraction could begin.

Don't tell Junkman, but this om603 takes 8!!!! Litres of 10w40 for an oil and filter change.

Whilst the PELA did it's thing (and keeping an eye on it, as it only holds 6L at a time!) I set to removing the oil filter.

First, it was bonnet to 'service' position, and then loosening the single 13mm bolt, and 2 13mm nuts holding the filter housing lid on.

post-17572-0-10163300-1547930919_thumb.jpg

The construction is similar to the filter housings on the BMW M30 engine, but much more over engineered.

The BMW only has a central 13mm bolt. It keeps pressure even round the top seal, so God knows why there are an additional 2 13mm nuts holding the filter lid on the Merc?

The 2 13mm nuts come off straight away, but the 13mm bolt needs unscrewing and removing to allow the lid off past the bulkhead.

It's a big bastard.

post-17572-0-85231900-1547930989_thumb.jpg

The old filter was tired, and the stylish* Waffle construction of the lid can be seen.

post-17572-0-33288000-1547931591_thumb.jpg

Next step was cleaning out the filter housing And getting the new filter popped in . Marvel at the handle !

post-17572-0-00791300-1547931792_thumb.jpg

post-17572-0-67095000-1547933152_thumb.jpg

Once everything was buttoned back up, fresh 10w40 was poured in(Asda had it at £13 per 5L).

The old oil was popped into containers for later processing*.

The result?

Much quieter running - on the motorway at about 75-80mph at a light throttle, it sounds for all the world like a large capacity 6 cylinder petrol..

I'm growing to like this tub!

Heard tales of people getting 45mpg from these slugs. Mine had a rock solid 30mpg average day to day on 100% veg. Was the same colour as yours but a year older. Lovely stately old thing to drive, highlights included taking 3/5ths of a band and most of their gear inc full drum kit to a gig at harewood house, and getting a single divan bed and mattress in the back with the tailgate almost closed. Loved the soft close tailgate and rear interior lights in the pillars. The fuel gauge was fine but the one in the 190D seems to be as tempremental as yours: try sitting in the back seats with the engine running when it shows empty to see if it comes to life. If so it’s a dodgy connection to the top of the tank rather than a failing sender. They are great cars, a rotten rear ARB mount made for the departure of mine, but I think you got a bargain if yours is solid where it counts.post-17931-0-31530700-1547935109_thumb.jpeg

That’s quite awful. My 320 24 valve petrol gets between 26 and 32mpg on standard unleaded.

I know yours is cheaper because VEG, but on diesel it certainly isn’t.

Edit, my last CX a 2.5 DTR Turbo 1 ( no intercooler) got 45mpg on average on diesel, but could do 55mpg if I didn’t go over 70mph.

LOL!

Your 320 has too many valves ;)

With 110bhp (ISH) and 1600kg plus driver/associated shite being pulled via an autobox with 317k on it, I don't expect much. It is pretty poor!

Remember this has a chain driven pump - there is no DFCO (deceleration fuel cut off) if the engine is spinning, fuel goes through.

It's also basically 1960s tech, and heavily engineered. Our landlord at the unit spied the fuel and oil filters and was saying " that's the same setup as on our combine harvester"

I expect most any Derv engine built after 1978 would do better than it, especially if equipped with a turbo!

That said, it just plods along burning anything vaguely liquid (current tank was £32.70 for 431 miles)

If it was solely diesel, the tank would have been £77.17.

By my reckoning, thats 42.4% of the cost.

The cost equivalent MPG is 74.13mpg (31.43mpg ÷ 0.424) (I think that's right?)

Wouldn't mind a shot of a 320 petrol,bet they lift their skirts and fly:)

Heard tales of people getting 45mpg from these slugs. Mine had a rock solid 30mpg average day to day on 100% veg. Was the same colour as yours but a year older. Lovely stately old thing to drive, highlights included taking 3/5ths of a band and most of their gear inc full drum kit to a gig at harewood house, and getting a single divan bed and mattress in the back with the tailgate almost closed. Loved the soft close tailgate and rear interior lights in the pillars. The fuel gauge was fine but the one in the 190D seems to be as tempremental as yours: try sitting in the back seats with the engine running when it shows empty to see if it comes to life. If so it’s a dodgy connection to the top of the tank rather than a failing sender. They are great cars, a rotten rear ARB mount made for the departure of mine, but I think you got a bargain if yours is solid where it counts.

As As I understand it, I think pulling the level sender out and cleaning may sort it - it's likely clogged with veg!

Aye it’s a shame the stuff is so sticky and orrible. Sunflower/rapeseed is the way to go if you want to be a tight cunt through winter though, all the soya I’ve got in the shed has been put to one side as it’s turning to yogurt