Jaypee's 300td Merc - Unbearingable.. 23/07/21.

320touring

I used this to do several things today, and spent a wee bit of time on it..

First up was the VegRun with Davehedgehog31 of this parish..

100L of veg fresh out the bottle - £69.95 (69.95p/litre)

post-17572-0-49727800-1546104013_thumb.jpg

This still hasn't been wazzed in (I bought 60L) as 1/4 of a tank still showing.

Next it was off to lunch with the good lady , before heading to the lockup to tinker

post-17572-0-45370700-1546104140_thumb.jpg

Some work was undertaken on my namesake, and I also scouted out some jobs on the Merc too -

Firstly, the stop solenoid.

Despite best attempts, it looks like the inlet manifold needs removed to allow suitable access to the top of the pump. Not something to try when the car is needed to get home..

Next was the thermostat replacement - once I identified the location, I was of the opinion that:

A- scalding oneself on the warm exhaust manifold would be no fun.

B- I would loose a shitload of coolant.

C- if ever a location looked in need of a dose of REMONSTRATING fluid, it was here.

post-17572-0-01840600-1546104419_thumb.jpg

post-17572-0-32261700-1546104583_thumb.jpg

Discretion/valour and a desire to get home won through.

I stopped by Lidls on the way home and scored big on the tool front!

post-17572-0-48951600-1546104715_thumb.jpg

The T handle torx/hex will be handy for inlet removal, and the drill set was too cheap to ignore.

But the winner was the Graphite oil - liberal applications to all locks and keyholes on the Merc, coupled with my eminently persuisave hand action (steady!) Resulted in a fully functioning central locking system, and doors that release freely!

Well worth the £1.99!

Clios and GSA have also been done.

Smashing!

If all goes well tomorrow I may have time to attempt the stop solenoid and thermostat - will make it nicer to drive.

Well that was fun*

Loaded up the Merc with all the detritus of the day for a tip run..

Chooch up the big hill before the dump, and round the sharp Left hander, plant the pedal.

No acceleration. REV counter says 2k rpm. Shift to Neutral, 0rpm and dash lights.

Let the bugger roll 1/4 of a mile and make it to the entrance to the dump road. Dead on 427miles

Stopped with hazards on, luzz in 10L veg. Crank for 4 mins, BOOM running again.

Into the dump, unload, reminisce with a worker who was telling me of his pug 505 he ran on veg, then hame!

Looks like it is a 70L tank in the Merc

What to say about this?

Starts on 100% veg in -3, now running 85% veg/15% Derv

Last tank was 28.43mpg, so at least it's consistent.

It was on shift last night to collect a water butt from Dome, WVO for filtering is to be collected on Sunday AM.

Plans for the weekend include :

Sort the stop solenoid

Change the Thermostat

Check ATF level

Maybe even have a wee look at it to see if it needs anything else.

Still liking it so far.

My 200E (pez+manual) regularly returns between 33-35MPG. Your 300TD should do the same.

I have a full set of filters winging their way to me, and plan to get her serviced asap.

It's a bit of a learning curve with this engine - slowly finding out all the elements that need to be spot on for her to work to best.

Currently I suspect old filters plus 2 exhaust blows and a likely need for a transmission flush are not helping the old girl..

I had some of a chance to tinker with this today..

First up, the thermostat.

It's held on by 2 10mm bolts:

Top one seen here

post-17572-0-88896700-1546705141_thumb.jpg

Bottom one accessed via 3/8 ratchet and extension.

post-17572-0-65296900-1546705204_thumb.jpg

It was patently obvious what was up with the old stat:

post-17572-0-39669000-1546705248_thumb.jpg

The new one was fitted (took 2 attempts to get it to seat properly) and new coolant was added and bled through.

I found removing the hose next to where the thermostat mounts means you can put the stat in its holder, and slot into the block. This means the stat stays in place and seals properly

Result?

post-17572-0-68096700-1546705348_thumb.jpeg

A nice solid 90, and working heaters:)

The fuel level sender is also on the list of things to do..

A test drive revealed no problems so I returned to look at replacing the stop solenoid.

Initial inspection said it looked like too large a job to do in the time and light available, so it waits for another day.

Next it was "what do these switches do?"

post-17572-0-79266900-1546705486_thumb.jpgpost-17572-0-83197600-1546705507_thumb.jpgpost-17572-0-89123700-1546705517_thumb.jpg

The answer is nothing obvious, bar the green one lighting up.. anyone any ideas?

Then it was "hunt the exhaust blows"

post-17572-0-09089400-1546705569_thumb.jpg

That'll be the centre one...

And

This will be the rear one..

post-17572-0-84345900-1546705642_thumb.jpg

Lastly, it was treated to a 1 sink, 1 hose wash, due to a dearth of sinks in the area.

Before

post-17572-0-98720400-1546705712_thumb.jpg

2 buckets, my arse

post-17572-0-23265300-1546705738_thumb.jpg

There are no after pics as it's dark.

Gauges at the end of the 40 miles run home.

post-17572-0-63208700-1546712501_thumb.jpg

Sat nice and solid there regardless of speed.

You can see the oil gauge is showing that the oil is sufficiently warm to have thinned properly, which means the engine is at full operating temp.

I swear it feels nicer to drive - almost as if the engine is working more effectively (and the veg is warmer!)

Hopefully this will bear out in an economy increase.. almost 1/2 a tank down so should find out soon.

This will 100% offer better MPG with a thermostat that's not stuck open, I've always seen gains of circa 25% in that scenario.

What are your plans RE the gammy wing? Replace/fix/live with it?

Even if it scrapes up to 30mpg it'll be a start;)

Which gammy wing? 2 fronts are fucked, 2 rear arches are crusty.

New front wings are £50 a side to buy.

Tbh, the cosmetics are not the major worry - it's getting it mechanically sound.

The exhaust in particular looks ropey.

The rear dampers and springs are tired.

Front lower arms seem tired too.

Autobox could do with new fluid and a filter.

Then I may think about making it pretty:)

My 200E (pez+manual) regularly returns between 33-35MPG. Your 300TD should do the same.

But it doesn't work like that and they're two very different cars. An OM603 + autobox in a 124 can be sublime effortlessness (and bloody irritating in a 2cv way in some circumstances) - a diesel will return figures similar to the 3 litre six petrol motor if driven really hard (with less speed but better slogability). Try to keep up with today's cutnthrust traffic in a 300D and the fuel gets sucked through those lines pretty fast while accelerating relatively sedately. But there's the wonderful six cylinder smoothness and longevity, as well as effortless (if gentle) performance, and a truly lovely sound as the revs rise.

I once pulled a couple of tonnes flat out with one of mine and it gave 26mpg, about right for a 3 litre six pot with 110hp working hard. On a steady 75 mph run it'd go 45 miles on a gallon, on veg. The equivalent petrol at that speed would do 30 on a good day. And there's no way of buying some weird petrol substitute for 10p a litre from your favourite hotel or restaurant.

I think 320's one has many, many miles showing and could probably do with sniffing a bit of Vim to hone up those smooth bores, as well as a few saunas (steam injection) - it's covered tens of thousands of miles on veg. 28mpg is about what I'd expect. A tired autobox alone could sap an easy 6mpg.

The next course of dinner is in..

I buy it de-watered but need to filter it myself.

Hoping to get it over to the veg production facility tonight.

post-17572-0-05873700-1546774047_thumb.jpg

215 miles in on this tank and showing just above 1/2 (when the gauge works!) Hoping that means some mpg Improvement..

I'm down in London most of this week with work/short break with the Burd so it'll likely be w/c 14th before I have any mpg to report.

I've also received a shipping note for the filters -should be here shortly.

Now to find a source of cheap 10w40 (or 5w40) to do an oil change. Going to need 8L of it

Anyone anywhere suggestions?

But it doesn't work like that and they're two very different cars. An OM603 + autobox in a 124 can be sublime effortlessness (and bloody irritating in a 2cv way in some circumstances) - a diesel will return figures similar to the 3 litre six petrol motor if driven really hard (with less speed but better slogability). Try to keep up with today's cutnthrust traffic in a 300D and the fuel gets sucked through those lines pretty fast while accelerating relatively sedately. But there's the wonderful six cylinder smoothness and longevity, as well as effortless (if gentle) performance, and a truly lovely sound as the revs rise.

I once pulled a couple of tonnes flat out with one of mine and it gave 26mpg, about right for a 3 litre six pot with 110hp working hard. On a steady 75 mph run it'd go 45 miles on a gallon, on veg. The equivalent petrol at that speed would do 30 on a good day. And there's no way of buying some weird petrol substitute for 10p a litre from your favourite hotel or restaurant.

I think 320's one has many, many miles showing and could probably do with sniffing a bit of Vim to hone up those smooth bores, as well as a few saunas (steam injection) - it's covered tens of thousands of miles on veg. 28mpg is about what I'd expect. A tired autobox alone could sap an easy 6mpg.

I hear what you are saying, this is my 300TD, which I owned approx ten years ago.

post-4019-0-90847700-1546775092_thumb.jpeg

The next course of dinner is in..

I buy it de-watered but need to filter it myself.

Hoping to get it over to the veg production facility tonight.

IMG_20190106_110054.jpg

215 miles in on this tank and showing just above 1/2 (when the gauge works!) Hoping that means some mpg Improvement..

I'm down in London most of this week with work/short break with the Burd so it'll likely be w/c 14th before I have any mpg to report.

I've also received a shipping note for the filters -should be here shortly.

Now to find a source of cheap 10w40 (or 5w40) to do an oil change. Going to need 8L of it

Anyone anywhere suggestions?

Local farmers oil suppliers oil/ Kero/ Cherry in Bolsover (Aztec Oil) are by far the cheapest place I have found for lubrication oils. Might be worth seeing if you have an equivalent supplier up there. Don't buy super universal tractor oil though.

How are they dewatering the oil but not filtering?

Was that online? Or store only?

Check the emails they send, it's usually either and if you order enough you get free delivery.

I got a similar deal to Peter last year and had it delivered free, bizarrely it was flown from London to East mids then couriered to me within 24hrs.

Local farmers oil suppliers oil/ Kero/ Cherry in Bolsover (Aztec Oil) are by far the cheapest place I have found for lubrication oils. Might be worth seeing if you have an equivalent supplier up there. Don't buy super universal tractor oil though.

How are they dewatering the oil but not filtering?

Cheers

The chap filters and de-watered ( he has a bio diesel setup, so it's definitely watered and hot filtered), but I like to put it through a 10 or 5 micron filter before using - belt n braces and all that.

That said, this om603 is a different kettle of fish from the wee 1.9tdi ALH I was running on it previously.