2000 Rover 45 1.8 CVT

purplebargeken

Thought it might be useful for me to start it's own project thread.

Well, as we know, the MOT was obtained.

Since then it's had a wash, interior valeted and carpet vacuumed.

There are a few little marks and scratches here and there but nothing truly horrible. I have something that might improve matters on that front.

I have a replacement front wing and some nice alloys and tyres to collect. The wing will be repainted once warmer weather happens. 

I started to look at sorting the non-functioning heater control (it just works on 3 and 4). It's usually the resistor thingy that dies and it is located behind the glove box drawer. Access was obtained and I realised I didn't have the correct tool at home to remove it. Stupid torx fastener. So that will be a visit to the lock up on Monday then. The replacement part is only £6 on eBay so that isn't bad really. 

I have a rocker cover gasket to fit as the one on the car is leaking. I just need to check the CT fluid level and fit the new coolant cap.

The boot lid springs are a little weak but I have no idea as to how to sort them out. Not a biggie in the scheme of things.

Done a few longer runs in the 45 now and can report that it drives lovely! Feels nice and secure, comfy and nippy.

Currently happiness rated as 8/10. Would recommend.

For 9/10 would need to fiddle with the seating slightly as my right knee keeps getting caught on the key/alam fob.

Oh, awaiting delivery of the replacement heater resistor thingy. Glove box compartment lowered in readiness!

Multiplug connector is bloody stubborn though!

They do tend to weld themselves into the resistor pack - I found some judicious wiggling with a sturdy pair of pliers and pulling a 'World's Strongest Man lifting up a caravan single-handedly' type face helped enormously.

2440BCE800000578-2886905-image-a-1_14195

And amen on the key/knee interface - that used to annoy me too.

Never driven the V6 version of one of these but I imagine it would be ace but a bit complex re: servicing as even less space.

The 1.8 with CVT is actually rather lovely, nice and wafty and will happily lift its skirts and nip along quickly enough when required. 

Bit of an update.

Managed to unscrew the old resister which was typically knackered. New one installed and now I have all four heater speeds! Yay!

Replaced a rear side light bulb which I noticed was deaded.

I updated the rear number plate bulbs with a pair of LED ones I had lying around. 

Just because. 

Very tempted to try one of these as a WBOD.

Which engine's the best? Obvs the V6 would be my first choice if there were no other considerations, but as a sensible daily commuter I'm thinking a 1.6 or 1.8, and I'm leaning towards the right engine-but is the Honda one worth considering?

There is no Honda engine in these 45s. The correct answer is the L series diesel.

Tried out the Meguires DA Power System DIY sponge mop thingy today. 

Made a nice job of some branch scuffs on the side of Rovah so I decided to have a go on the very pogweaseled Mrs PBK Micra. Cor, nice!

Also brought up the placcy headlights on the i10 rather nicely indeed. Rear lights of Rovah also done.

Verdict: bloody good tbh if you have teh fear of a proper mop. Works happily on a cordless drill too.

Colour me impressed.

Oh the needless expense...........

One rear side light bulb, then a brake light bulb.

I fitted an indicator bulb to the rear drivers side cluster as the original one had slightly flakey orange stuff on it. 

Treated her to a new set of wiper blades as the ones on there were starting to split and were a bit 'hardened'.

This is such a lovely old thing. Even better with the full compliment of heater speeds. 

I will likely price up a CVT fluid and filter change in the New Year.

Not hugely different, main thing seems to be that there is no observable 'step' to the changes. The CVT is seamless.

It's just rather nice tbh.

Glad to hear you’re getting on with the car! I’m a recent CVT convert, transforms the driving experience for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, this heap o'shite* just keeps on giving me problems*.

The remote was getting more and more reluctant to do what it was supposed to do. having being used to this with various MGF's over the years, I wasn't too bothered. Went to Tesco and bought a twin pack of batteries and superb remote locking and unlocking at distance has been achieved!

Lovely alloys and very nice eBay wing now in my possession thanks to the marvellous actions of our very own BeEp and his stonking red smoll Fiat.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Going in on Tuesday to have the CVT fluid drained and replaced with lovely new stuff. Just because it niggles me. 

Sent an ebay message and proper emails to two people breaking CVT 45's asking for a CVT dipstick as the handle on mine is broken and nothing back to any message sent. Bit irritating, I know it is only a small part but a sale is still a sale surely.

Anyone near a breaker who has a CVT 45 in stock? ;)

Update. CVT fluid changed. Outcome: even creamier smooth driving is occurring. 

The broken CVT fluid dipstick is a bit of a pain, the two ebay peoples who have CVT 45's for breaking still CBA responding to emails and PM - I know they don't have to but fuck me is it rude and a bit bloody frustrating.

The back box is still a little blowy but not too bad, mate will bodge* until I can get a back box next month.

The car had another wash.

This is such a bloody lovely car to drive, it really is.

How about in reverse?  :mrgreen: (aka cuz CVT can it do top speed in reverse?)

I quite like these Late 90s early 2000s pre face lift Rovers

just from a never driven one point of view, I think the 75 is my favourite out of the lineup :)