Crappest engine ever

Lanciaman

Ok when compared to a modern engine etc.. 

Still a cracking unit because strong, reliable, runs on goat piss, fix it with a hammer. in a LR Series will get you into the biggest mess you can find and then drag you out of it again.

I guess we could also put forward the Tiumph Stag v8. Rubbish bhp and inherent faults. Rover v8 as in the p6 and sd1 pretty rubbish for power as well, efi aside. Torque nice tho by all accounts

Not heard them in anger then?

Stag V8 had comparable BHP to RV8 in it's day. gave respectable BHP for it's day but more importantly buckets of v8 torques.

Rover v8 one of the most durable and cheapest to fix V8 engines available to us Brits, even terminally ill it will still run and pull stumps out of the ground

Stag v8 best sounding v8 ever

Neither of these nor 2.25 LR engines come even close to crappiest engine ever in my most humble and slightly biased opinion :D

130 bhp with the mgb v8? Or whatever it was. Not impressive. Stag was less than 150. As was non efi with p5/p6/sd1. Sure, could be tuned for more, and were solid engines. But no wonder given that output

comparing a 1960/70 engine to something built yesterday is not a comparison

It may not be the crappest but I think its worth mentioning the post 1970 Triumph 1500.  Downgraded steel, heavy crank, long stroke, 3 main bearings = not good.

Indeed, even the 1300 was arguably overstretched but at least had the merit of being reasonably free-revving; the 1500 was a terrible under-engineered boat anchor and yet another demonstration of all that was wrong with BL.

It may not be the crappest but I think its worth mentioning the post 1970 Triumph 1500.  Downgraded steel, heavy crank, long stroke, 3 main bearings = not good.

Yes! My mother had a ‘76 MG Midget with this shit engine in the early to mid 80’s, I had the dubious pleasure of driving it when I passed my driving test in 1985 before I bought my own first car. I remember the awful knock from the mains when starting the engine or under hard acceleration. Oh yes NOD 336P you did have a shit engine!

I had one that took a lot of trashing without issue. But then I did change the oil & stuff which people never seem to bother with on old cars. I liked it, it just needed to be a bit more free revving.