Crappest engine ever

Lanciaman

Every series LR I've driven in good fettle has had a very smooth engine?

As for shit engines, the french lump of wank in Volvo 340 1.4s, utterly useless, drunk like a fish & bent pushrods at idle for no reason. I enjoyed scrapping that car, it deserved it.

I had some really good service out of a 1.8 CVH, wasn’t bad on fuel, went ok, piss easy to work on, parts were pennies and you could fix it at the roadside. Granted it was a bit coarse when you revved it but it wasn’t a bad unit at all. Needless to say they got a bad rep when people neglected them. The one I had had done over 213k when it bit the dust.

And was also a factor in Citroen's demise as an independent manufacturer. Only Mazda can make a rotary without going bust it seems and even they have been touch and go a few times.

If the Japanese can't perfect it then I wonder how the Russian versions in the 80s did, especially when Lada made a birotor. And stuck it into a Samara.

Prolly not the worst ever but I got pretty quick at fitting exchange heads onto BMW M42 engines. They had an extremely low 'abuse threshold', I fitted an exchange head supplied by a customer once and I could see where it had already been welded and repaired. As Daz the apprentice warmed it up we heard a loud cracking noise, time for another head then...

In a broadly similar vein, the 2.2 diesel fitted to Toyota Estima and Lucida imports, around the 90's. It wasn't very powerful, was very thirsty and they ate heads for a living, there used to be a guy called Bob on the Estima forum who made a living traveling the country fixing them. He was huge but would scrabble about on your drive and have a replacement head fitted in about 4 hours.

There was a similar thread recently, I remember nominating the Honda CB250 Superdream engine because of its mega-crap camchain tensioner blade design.

All the weight of a 400, all the power of a 125....smooth though I remember.

I made a special tool to tension up the cam chains on the 100/ 125/ 185 range as the spring adjustment never really worked unless you got the sequence absolutely correct and were lucky, i used to fit a new chain as a matter of course anyway for what they used to cost me - £4+vat from memory. Always made them sound better.