Festival of the Unexceptional 2019 - free camping and free breakfast available!

quicksilver

16 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

I notice a fair few of the reports have just cribbed off each other more or less verbatim. Saves money instead of having to actually attend the whole thing..... #lazyjournalism

Meh.  Is it lazy though?  How many different ways are there of saying "loads of shit cars turned up in the same field - it was particularly amusing that the cars are ugly but the venue beautiful - and a bloke with a Morris Marina estate won".  From a personal PoV, the fewer 'motoring hacks' 'vloggers' and 'youtubers' at these things, the better.  

4 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Meh.  Is it lazy though?  How many different ways are there of saying "loads of shit cars turned up in the same field - it was particularly amusing that the cars are ugly but the venue beautiful - and a bloke with a Morris Marina estate won".  From a personal PoV, the fewer 'motoring hacks' 'vloggers' and 'youtubers' at these things, the better.  

I think it suggests very strongly the loss of the ability to use one's own imagination in the written word, simply because one can't be arsed. Repeat that malaise across the board, and it becomes a disturbing form of groupthink. And then people wonder why they're being fed the same thing.

What happened to the idea of variety being the spice of life? Why bother writing anything, then?

37 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

I think it suggests very strongly the loss of the ability to use one's own imagination in the written word, simply because one can't be arsed. Repeat that malaise across the board, and it becomes a disturbing form of groupthink. And then people wonder why they're being fed the same thing.

What happened to the idea of variety being the spice of life? Why bother writing anything, then?

I think you’re both vastly overthinking things, and overestimating the budget of such publishers in the year 2019.  It’s the same in news gathering and reporting - not every website, newspaper and tv/radio broadcaster will send someone to every single story. They never did either. Plenty of stories have been rehashed and rewritten since the beginning of time. The difference between completely original journalism and a rehash might only be a few quid. Hardly worth using scarce and valuable resources to cover it.  But hey! What do I know? I don’t profess to be an expert.

And if people genuinely are worried about “being fed the same thing”, then they could always come and look for themselves. It was free after all.... 

7 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

unlike you I still find the written word, used imaginatively, has the ability to inspire and paint mental pictures.

Sorry, but I actually find that really quite offensive. On what do you base that (entirely unfair) accusation? 

It very much feels like you’re sneering at me. Happy to be corrected. 

The gigantic Ford (thought there had to be LTD DNA in there, mate of mine years ago had an Aussie LTD import) has to be the car of the day for me.

I'm finding myself increasingly seriously considering getting something like that... especially now we've two dogs so a massive boot would be a huge plus.

Don't have a clue what something like that is worth though... probably more than I can afford...unless they fancy a swap for a technically brilliant but in desperate need of a respray Citroen anyway.  Oh...or a Lada...which I've been trying to shift for so long I keep forgetting it's for sale.

Whose is it anyway?  Might need to send them a "please let me know if you decide to sell it..." message...

FotU bit starts at 9:13 for those looking for it :)  but I cant seem to find the Autoshite bit? LOL

(its amusing hearing Hagerty talk about young drivers owning older cars ,admittedly iv not called them to check but I highly doubt they would touch me and my Invacar  LOL)

On 7/26/2019 at 10:26 AM, flat4alfa said:

The wagon got featured in CCW (although Richard Gunn needs to read up on LTD engine sizing...)

It's a shame he didn't wait around and get chatting as I could have gushed plenty of 'copy' for him to use

WP_20190725_15_59_50_Pro (2).jpg

We were interviewed by him and I told him quite a bit about the interesting* history of my 205 van, It was all reduced to a paragraph at the bottom of the page, though.

• 4 months later...
On 7/21/2019 at 8:40 AM, si1881 said:

Many thanks to the organisers at the FoD, apologies we didn’t stay that long but had to go and check in at the hotel somewhere north of MK.

i have many many pictures from the FotU but might put them on Flickr or somewhere when we finally make it back up ‘north.

Was great to be able to see my Tipo with its twin too ?

C0D9718D-80B1-490B-B10A-A62357F03EE8.jpeg

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had seen or heard anything from Simon recently.   He had surgery back in  June and then his father had a stroke just before this meeting and the last I see of his activity on Autoshite was a reaction on 30th August.  Is he OK ?

Thanks egg.  He was most likely automatically notified of my sending him a PM, as his partner replied to me to say that he's very poorly  :(  as indeed is his father (who had a stroke and is still in hospital).  :-(

Anyone in the Barnsley area might think to drop in, cheer him up and convey our best wishes.?

Pete.