Festival of the Unexceptional 2019 - free camping and free breakfast available!

quicksilver

I will definitely be back to this next year, and hopefully make a weekend of it. Huge thanks to Mr and Mrs 6C for welcoming this band of misfits.

Great to catch up with old friends and meet up with people who have been "only" online friends until today. Wonderful to see so many nostalgia-inducing cars that used to litter the streets in my youth and are now "when did you last see one of those?"

Sad that I couldn't make it last night; I missed out on meeting some people that I think I would have liked.

Really thrilled that LBF got his Invacar and although it broke down before I could drive it I did get to sit in it!

Grateful that Brodders sacrificed his good shirt rather than damage the bonnet of my Merc.

On with the photos:

607357bef6045290462957c593f39d82.jpg9c3a6ee9893330b6095e446e4094dbff.jpg200f26878614bbe5e9be3951bc33e915.jpg9896b14a12ca27b6ca054d28a7323c0a.jpg807b0079705dce2710c25655e6baa648.jpgba70c94e45fe9b32c9e4e1e52e600f1c.jpg38c7913893add3ee529305db2bcb14ae.jpg

Annoyed I couldn't go now... looks like fun! Ho hum... Cholmondley is what I hope to attend. Next year this'll be a must unless the organisers keep the model year date capped at 1996. Miiiight be a sticking point...

Back home now. 

Great show and trigger looked very shocked he won! Shame you didn't go to FoD @trigger , I was hoping to say hi. However after your new found celebrity status, you were a bit swamped after winning the award!

Thanks to @Six-cylinder for hosting the after party. Sorry I didn't get to say hi to everyone ... ended up spending a lot of time helping fix the Invacar with PBK after the darn thing broke with my hands touching it last. Sods law the two remaining threads of that throttle cable let go when I was sat in it.

25 minutes ago, SiC said:

Back home now. 

Great show and trigger looked very shocked he won! Shame you didn't go to FoD @trigger , I was hoping to say hi. However after your new found celebrity status, you were a bit swamped after winning the award!

I'm not even joking when i say i thought i was going to faint! I came over really lightheaded and dizzy! I would have looked a right twat fainting for winning a plastic cup of tea in front of all the press! I then had the Independent newspaper interview me on video and had loads of people getting me to pose for photos, it all got a little overwhelming if i'm honest! Sorry i couldn't make the FoD, gutted as i want to catch up with everyone but had to get back asap.

I have arrived at maw and paw's house. Staying the night here so I can clean the dead flies off the 740 tomorrow and play with the V70. (I keep one car at mine, one at theirs)

Only 6 hours home rather than the 8 it took to get down.

Bloody brilliant day, too many superb cars to even mention. Just don't talk to me about the parking!!!!

Well done Trigger, utterly deserved :)

Fantastic to see known and not previously met Shitters and Shitterettes. 

I had a jaunt in a fab Invacar and now know how the throttle cable is fixed on thanks to the destructive powers of SiC.  Driving this wee blue beastie was a real experience and am seriously tempted.

SiC's MGB was finally seen in the metal and is a really nice thing, even had a drive of it. We have an amazing range of cars between us, there is truly something for everyone. 

Many thanks to Chris and Andrew, also to the Silver clan for morning food and the two cats :)  I imagine the property prices have now stabilized since our departure.  

Glad those who had a quick go of the 45 enjoyed the experience, see, 45's are good cars!

I shall be there next year, hopefully in a Triumph of some kind. 

Thanks so much everybody.

Thanks for snapping the 620 @bramz7 - nice to have an action photo for once.

With my Rover sniffer hat on, this was my obscure pick of the day - identified as the mega rare Rover 420 GSi Executive - @Ghosty fog lights FTW, Probably the M-Series for the added mega win

J944EWP.jpg.341717f7e3e6d84540fed605ecfbf5d6.jpg

300 miles done in the Renault 6 today - by a very large margin the furthest I've ever been in it.  It didn't miss a beat, and I am still able to both hear and walk.  Headlights aren't as bad as I'd feared either, given that they're non-halogen - definitely better than the CX's. 

Great day, brilliant turnout, amazing variety of cars at the show, and an enjoyable evening at the FoD afterwards.  And I got to drive an Inv*car.

Also nice to get chatting to another 600 owner who screeched to a halt as he passed me - got a lovely snap of the two cars side by side

67173199_802112553524320_6321171220863647744_n.thumb.jpg.55f1a9f9e0dada2056c7a1d41a9fbb12.jpg

Saw a fair few shiters wandering around, so nice to see you all.

Special prize for having balls of steel goes to @flat4alfa for driving that very long, mahoosive station wagon - impressive.

Glad to report I had a clear road most of the way home.

TPA will now cruise quite happily at 60mph.  Must to the bafflement of the guy in the Honda who was expecting to overtake as soon as we hit the main road but then found I wasn't actually holding him up.

Not sure if it's a 10" Vs 12" wheel things, but while she wandered a bit in the wind it wasn't by any means terrifying, certainly no worse than a bus or the van.

Thanks to everyone who said hello (and were unreasonably complimentary of my bodywork repairs...I know you were really giggling under your breath at my ineptitude).

Also thanks to Six-Cylinder for the introduction to the Gamma...that is a truly gorgeous motor which is definitely now on the bucket list. 

Also thanks to Flat4Alfa for the RiscPC.  That will be gracing the workbench tomorrow evening for a proper investigation, which I'm thoroughly looking forward to.  Never would have had the chance had it not been for this place.

A truly grand day out! 

Starting out at 6.15am the 2CV and the brownnovas set off for the 3 hour drive down to the south. It took a little longer and after a good car wash we went straight to the FOTU. On our way in we saw a Dyane in the distance which looked identical to our friends... after hooning to catch it up we realised it was someone else entirely! 

263FDFC0-9523-47F2-B117-1FFE44D2BB39.jpeg

The show was great! A super variety of cars, and a fellow 2CVer even gave us a free gin and tonic! 

Some of my highlights:

D649A80B-D7CF-4D41-8F15-EE6311EDB05F.jpeg4157A937-8C07-4C02-BBE9-DCA05C715E78.jpeg

This next one was a rare moment as I was asked what it was and had to confess I had no idea! 

CCF31148-5EF4-433E-9A7C-B4DB2A87F59A.jpegC7082E95-740D-4947-90F2-940666C589E0.jpegFD0C1E2F-EE65-4F37-919A-B48192D2CEA0.jpegEAD54883-4662-4223-9A51-A1C326993823.jpegFA76AE94-7860-499D-B7D6-20E3D2A8444F.jpeg00CC11D4-87FE-439F-B43F-4E1C65DFD99D.jpeg

Didnt feel the venue was as good as last year, and there was a lack of food outlets and bins. However, it’s all about the cars and the people. It was super to meet some shiters! 

On the the field of dreams, which surely lives up to its name! 

Thankyou to Mr Fowler for his guiding to the field. 

8331B28C-137E-4D5E-A912-D3C5A63AF8D5.jpeg

Sone awesome highlights: 

My first Moped ride, my first Invacar drive (even with the sticky throttle), watching brodders fall off the moped in spectacular style.

Then the Invacar being towed by the ATV

42F43C0B-FE25-4CF9-BC88-0C6C610719E6.jpeg

Mrs brownnovas face when she was chauffeured by a 9 year old...

67D4BCF2-D4BB-4042-A849-37393A5C3805.jpeg

And the view of one Invacar from another

025BC26D-9EF2-4320-BD40-0FB8DEBBAEE8.jpeg

Really awesome to meet some Shiters I’d never met before and to reacquaint with some who I had met before! Each AS event amazes me at what a friendly bunch you all are. 

Thanks to all who helped look for Sians phone too... we’re hopeful it’s in Ken’s car as it was sighted there by Kitten_inthewelder

All in all a super day out!!

Slightly pissed off when a modern Ferrari parked next to me. Since when was that a classic?
I didn't get a close look at it (your CX was far more interesting) but I did notice the stream of small boys running up going "Dad! Dad! A Ferrari!" and the various dads replying, in a weary tone, "that's not a real Ferrari..."

Many thanks to the organisers at the FoD, apologies we didn’t stay that long but had to go and check in at the hotel somewhere north of MK.

i have many many pictures from the FotU but might put them on Flickr or somewhere when we finally make it back up ‘north.

Was great to be able to see my Tipo with its twin too ?

C0D9718D-80B1-490B-B10A-A62357F03EE8.jpeg

I didn't get a close look at it (your CX was far more interesting) but I did notice the stream of small boys running up going "Dad! Dad! A Ferrari!" and the various dads replying, in a weary tone, "that's not a real Ferrari..."
Indeed...from the noise it made it was a Toyotarrari MR2.

Rear wheel arch was the biggest give away, even from a distance.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk