Festival of the Unexceptional 2019 - free camping and free breakfast available!

quicksilver

On 7/8/2019 at 2:53 PM, Slowsilver said:

Less than 2 weeks now to FotU weekend, so bump for free breakfasts.

A special invitation to @Zelandeth. Yes, I know you are close enough to have breakfast at home, but the FoD is a lot nearer than the FotU and you will then have an army of shiters to assist if you encounter any problems.
Besides, we really want an Invacar on our drive.

Also to @beko1987. You are welcome to come along and bring your family if you are camping at the FoD Friday night. Just add your name and the number of family with you to the list.

I'm still pondering this to be honest.  I'd need to do a bit of automotive Tetris beforehand to get the van there first as my back makes camping in a tent an absolute no go situation unless I want to be hobbling around like a 90 year old for a week.  I also have some issues which mean that I need to have what I perceive as a safe space to retreat to, especially if there are a lot of folks around, and tents just don't cut it.

The thought has also occurred that bringing TPA over to the FoD the day before might be a sensible idea, that way if any issues arise on the run out from MK (which is most likely being the high speed bit of the trip) it gives me a chance to bodge (I mean repair) it before the show. 

That is if I'm not scrambling around until 0600 on the day of the show trying to get her ready anyway!  Which given the to do list just now is looking quite likely!

7 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

The thought has also occurred that bringing TPA over to the FoD the day before might be a sensible idea, that way if any issues arise on the run out from MK (which is most likely being the high speed bit of the trip) it gives me a chance to bodge (I mean repair) it before the show. 

You are most welcome to bring it over early and I can give you a lift back to MK if that helps.

It looks like I won't be able to make it;  Mrs K has just texted that she will see me tomorrow  - "the ops a big one",  rather than in and out today, so even on the optimistic side and it is tomorrow and not several days time I'll be at home delivering loads of tlc.

That means that I won't be bringing Krujoe's frying pan from SF19 to FoD for onward shitely. Anone passing near who could collect it, otherwise it is the next Cannock extravaganxa, which assumes that it fits in with my having the full rip-the-chest-open experience. 

It also buggers my plans for a sneaky purchase and collection of a set of wheels and tyres for that car that "never gets taken out of the garage so why isn't it being sold".

13 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

I'm still pondering this to be honest.  I'd need to do a bit of automotive Tetris beforehand to get the van there first as my back makes camping in a tent an absolute no go situation unless I want to be hobbling around like a 90 year old for a week.  I also have some issues which mean that I need to have what I perceive as a safe space to retreat to, especially if there are a lot of folks around, and tents just don't cut it.

That is if I'm not scrambling around until 0600 on the day of the show trying to get her ready anyway!  Which given the to do list just now is looking quite likely!

I'll be driving back from Buckingham direction MK as I will be taking the A5 south to Dunstable Downs

In the boot is a RiscPC gasping for air anyhow

20 hours ago, Slowsilver said:

Ooh, yes please!
I have a very tatty one which only covers the early Mark 1 version with the 1500 engine and the Mk3 Cortina-style dash.
Your one has a different cover and looks like it might be a later version. It also looks to be in much better condition.

No problem - will bring it with me. 

Just final fettled the Toledo today, lubed the throttle cable, checked fluids, topped up the dashpots, took the petrol tank out to properly tighten the rear bumper mounting bolts, checked the lights and so on. I noticed the temp gauge wasn't moving, it normally works perfectly, did the recommended tapping on the gauge and twiddling wires, no effect. I reckon the temp sender has died, not uncommon but got no chance of getting hold of one in time to drive to the required places.  Arse. Looks like it'll be the Rover then.

Mr Quicksilver, would it be possible to have directions to your location of breakfasty goodness please? 

I'm presooming the plan is to have a marvellous breakfast item and then trundle to the FoTU from there?  I phoned the helpline and was informed to just turn up and we modernz owners will be directed to another car park area, I have no modernz ticket or anything. 

1 hour ago, purplebargeken said:

Just final fettled the Toledo today, lubed the throttle cable, checked fluids, topped up the dashpots, took the petrol tank out to properly tighten the rear bumper mounting bolts, checked the lights and so on. I noticed the temp gauge wasn't moving, it normally works perfectly, did the recommended tapping on the gauge and twiddling wires, no effect. I reckon the temp sender has died, not uncommon but got no chance of getting hold of one in time to drive to the required places.  Arse. Looks like it'll be the Rover then.

Is the Toledo prone to overheating then?  If it was French it wouldn't even have a temperature gauge.

1 hour ago, purplebargeken said:

Mr Quicksilver, would it be possible to have directions to your location of breakfasty goodness please? 

I'm presooming the plan is to have a marvellous breakfast item and then trundle to the FoTU from there?  I phoned the helpline and was informed to just turn up and we modernz owners will be directed to another car park area, I have no modernz ticket or anything. 

The plan is to convoy to the breakfast from the Field of Dreams. If you are there by 08:45 I will be handing out directions.
If you haven't been to the FoD before, PM Six-cylinder for the location.
Then breakfast at ours between approx. 09:00 and 09:30 before convoying on to the FotU for around 10 o'clock.
I will also give out directions for this in case anyone goes astray.

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

Is the Toledo prone to overheating then?  If it was French it wouldn't even have a temperature gauge.

Ken's Toledo got a slant-4 engine in (TR7 rather than 1850/Sprint), so overheating is a risk that can mean a big repair job. 

1 hour ago, dean36014 said:

Is it ok to pop over on the Sunday morning and say hello, and possibly pick up my bulkhead if it makes it there?

I would say you would be very welcome. You know where it is! There should be a few AS folk camping over and Six-cylinder will be around. I'm helping out at a local canal festival on the Sunday, so not sure if I will get any FoD time that day, but then again I can go there and tinker with stuff any time I like! :-)

The Toledo has never overheated but I would rather it all be hunky dory before travelling out. The two main culprits are the voltage stabiliser (which also impacts on the fuel gauge, mine is fine so it isn't that) or the little temp sender which screws into a hole just under the thermostat housing. I've ordered one for the vast sum of 8 quid. It's a 5 minute job, 2 minutes to find the right spanner.  Niggling feeling that I might have one somewhere, but where......... we shall see. 

Okay, cool. I have the directions to the FOD, see you all there Saturday morning :)

11 minutes ago, trigger said:

I'm really not liking the look of the weather forecast... ?

STFU - you’ve just moved over to electronic ignition on the Morris? 

I still have the original wiper motor which runs about as fast as I do, requires much persuasion to start and doesn’t self park. 

Joy!

On 6/23/2019 at 5:25 PM, Slowsilver said:

SILVERS' SERVICE BREAKFAST CLUB

Would anyone be interested in a revival of this event, which was trialled (successfully I think) during last year's Festival of the Unexceptional and Field of Dreams weekend.
On Saturday 20th July 2019 the Silvers will provide a free breakfast of bacon or sausage sandwiches, toast and tea or coffee to any shiters and their travelling companions attending the FotU or the FoD on that day. You do not have to be attending the FotU or camping at the FoD to be eligible, but, in order to avoid ad hoc arrivals and departures, you will need to be at the FoD by 08:45 on the day (PM Six-cylinder for the location if you haven't been before), from where we will drive in convoy to the Silvers' abode in Buckingham (about 4 miles) for food and drink consumption, then at around 09:30 those who are going to the FotU will continue the convoy to Claydon House (about 8 miles), while any others return to the FoD. Directions from the FoD to the Silvers and onward to the FotU will be provided in case the convoy gets separated.

So that we know the number of people that we are catering for, please add your name, plus the number of partners, kids, hangers-on or whoever else is travelling with you to the list below if you are interested in attending.

1. Slowsilver
2. Quicksilver

3. davidfowler2000
4. Mrs Brownnova

5. Brownnova
6. Catsinthewelder  + 2 kids
7. purplebargeken

Last bump for breakfasts.
List will close at 8am tomorrow to give us time to stock up with sufficient provisions.
Just quote this post and add your name to the list if you wish to attend.

23 hours ago, egg said:

In Mondeo prep I have....err....not started it for two weeks.

Better remedy that tomorrow.

Run up to Whitstable, tank full of Shell, tyres checked, handed to the local hand car wash (feeling summer lazy) and ready for 300 odd miles, I think...

IMG_20190718_152203.thumb.jpg.4f883f944caa2fdbb2c33060df49f996.jpg