Festival of the Unexceptional 2019 - free camping and free breakfast available!

quicksilver

The Family_Beko plans have been set.

I say Family_Beko because if it's allowed could my mum and stepdad tag along? Mainly because Mum's never seen the tent, and Stepdad wants to see if he can remember how to assemble it after 20 years, as Mum's been badgering him to go camping whilst they still have a car and can. Plan is they come to mine for the morning, and we leave at midday for the FOD, piss around assembling the tent then they might go off for a walk, or stay and mingle etc.

Is this OK? Try not to set fire to the 17 plate Octavia you see if it is...

Then at some point in the afternoon I'll take Eva to Tesco for food, drink and anything else she wants for her first camping trip and we are then done. I'll then keep the car get-atable incase she wakes up screaming in the night and we have to go home, then come back in the morning...

On 7/5/2019 at 1:54 PM, beko1987 said:

The Family_Beko plans have been set.

I say Family_Beko because if it's allowed could my mum and stepdad tag along? Mainly because Mum's never seen the tent, and Stepdad wants to see if he can remember how to assemble it after 20 years, as Mum's been badgering him to go camping whilst they still have a car and can. Plan is they come to mine for the morning, and we leave at midday for the FOD, piss around assembling the tent then they might go off for a walk, or stay and mingle etc.

Is this OK? Try not to set fire to the 17 plate Octavia you see if it is...

Then at some point in the afternoon I'll take Eva to Tesco for food, drink and anything else she wants for her first camping trip and we are then done. I'll then keep the car get-atable incase she wakes up screaming in the night and we have to go home, then come back in the morning...

No problem, bring your family.

My concern with the Skoda is parking a large object invisible to the brain of a shiter might mean people walking into it!

13 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

No problem, bring your family.

My concern with the Skoda is parking a large invisible object to the brain of a shiter might mean people walking into it!

Ill get him to park the other side of the field then to be safe! 

On 7/5/2019 at 1:54 PM, beko1987 said:

..... Mum's never seen the tent, and Stepdad wants to see if he can remember how to assemble it after 20 years, as Mum's been badgering him to go camping whilst they still have a car and can......

I'm getting visions of Carry On Camping scenes here. Can't think why....

On 6/23/2019 at 5:25 PM, Slowsilver said:

SILVERS' SERVICE BREAKFAST CLUB

Would anyone be interested in a revival of this event, which was trialled (successfully I think) during last year's Festival of the Unexceptional and Field of Dreams weekend.
On Saturday 20th July 2019 the Silvers will provide a free breakfast of bacon or sausage sandwiches, toast and tea or coffee to any shiters and their travelling companions attending the FotU or the FoD on that day. You do not have to be attending the FotU or camping at the FoD to be eligible, but, in order to avoid ad hoc arrivals and departures, you will need to be at the FoD by 08:45 on the day (PM Six-cylinder for the location if you haven't been before), from where we will drive in convoy to the Silvers' abode in Buckingham (about 4 miles) for food and drink consumption, then at around 09:30 those who are going to the FotU will continue the convoy to Claydon House (about 8 miles), while any others return to the FoD. Directions from the FoD to the Silvers and onward to the FotU will be provided in case the convoy gets separated.

So that we know the number of people that we are catering for, please add your name, plus the number of partners, kids, hangers-on or whoever else is travelling with you to the list below if you are interested in attending.

1. Slowsilver
2. Quicksilver

3. davidfowler2000
4. Ghosty
5. Brownnova
6. Mrs Brownnova

Less than 2 weeks now to FotU weekend, so bump for free breakfasts.

A special invitation to @Zelandeth. Yes, I know you are close enough to have breakfast at home, but the FoD is a lot nearer than the FotU and you will then have an army of shiters to assist if you encounter any problems.
Besides, we really want an Invacar on our drive.

Also to @beko1987. You are welcome to come along and bring your family if you are camping at the FoD Friday night. Just add your name and the number of family with you to the list.

I’m hoping to drop in to the FoD after the FotU providing the Tipo’s clutch lasts that long to get there... (and hopefully home to Yorkshire)

We’re stopping in north MK Saturday night - I’m guessing the field isn’t that far if we can get there? 

1 hour ago, si1881 said:

I’m hoping to drop in to the FoD after the FotU providing the Tipo’s clutch lasts that long to get there... (and hopefully home to Yorkshire)

We’re stopping in north MK Saturday night - I’m guessing the field isn’t that far if we can get there? 

No, you'll be 15 minutes away from mk. Sure someone can drag you in if needed! 

I'm still not sure what I'm going to be driving down in, or even if I'll have a suitable car to bring - MX-5 is 2 years too new, or that would have been the obvious choice.  I might have to "do a Brodders" and drive down in the 75 and then cadge a lift in with someone.

52 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

I'm still not sure what I'm going to be driving down in, or even if I'll have a suitable car to bring - MX-5 is 2 years too new, or that would have been the obvious choice.  I might have to "do a Brodders" and drive down in the 75 and then cadge a lift in with someone.

I think our Metro is going to be ready for AnthonyG so we have a spare Visa 17RD (drive it yourself as I am taking my twin pot) or if you really want to make an entrance VP1500!

You will need to have your own entrance pass as I only have 2.

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

Similar situation to me.  Despite reservations plan A is the 11, followed by the Metro (although an exhaust blow means I'll be gassing myself).  Not sure I can stand the scrutiny of bringing the Cavalier with its wobbed up arch and patchwork sills, and Mrs T might be using it anyway.

Mind you driving the 11 in anger last night I managed to cancel out the mystery noise at one point, so maybe I should just thrash it the whole way there!

Field of dreams for camping, this last weekend the Prep team worked hard to get the grass cut, the place tidy and erect the HQ tent. What you get is a flat paddock with orchards alongside, mains water and a composting toilet.  

Open Fri/Sat/Sun and other times by request.

Preshow and post show day visitor also welcome, just pop in for an hour if you like or stay the weekend.

The cost is free to Shiters!

PM me for questions/address

IMG_20190713_165552 broad.jpg

What time are the East Anglians meeting up at Cambourne Morrisons?  It looks like I'm most likely going to head down in the Carina E, which is now road legal and is technically eligible for FOTU being a 1996 car.  I'd rather turn up in something a bit more exciting, but in order to get to the FoD in time I'd have to leave at absurd o'clock and I'm really not a morning person...

Take me off the breakfast list, please. I've revised my plans, I'm going to convoy to FOTU with richbraith and JohnK on Saturday morning, so I can go to work on Friday - money talks. 

I may grab some beers and stay at the field on Saturday night if I'm too tired to drive back, and drive back on Sunday morning.

6 hours ago, wuvvum said:

What time are the East Anglians meeting up at Cambourne Morrisons?  It looks like I'm most likely going to head down in the Carina E, which is now road legal and is technically eligible for FOTU being a 1996 car.  I'd rather turn up in something a bit more exciting, but in order to get to the FoD in time I'd have to leave at absurd o'clock and I'm really not a morning person...

I would suggest about 0800. It will take an hour and 15 mins from Crimebourne to the venue. 

Dear Autoshiters,

Mike here. In the modern age of consuming new cars on HP and discarding perfectly good ones I find the 'celebration of the ordinary' to be a breath of fresh air, so hello and respect to you all. This year I have finally set some time aside to visit the festival of the unexceptional, which sounds fantastic. I can't wait to see what it's all about and, as a fat balding shadow of my former self, enjoy some nostalgia. I have a VW camper which offers nothing in terms of autoshite I'm afraid, but you're more likely to see me underneath the damn thing swearing at it than actually driving it anywhere so I hope I can be welcomed there on empathy and a shared experience of keeping a crap vehicle going, and the joys and despairs that brings. If I ever become a proper Autoshiter I will be well prepared.

I write as I have a question, I've booked a place in the classic car park on Saturday, does anyone here know if camping there is possible as I can't seem to find anything online and don't know who else to ask ? The plan is to get there at 10am ish, enjoy the day, have a few beers, crash out and drive home on the Sunday morning...

P.S. my happiest ever motoring was in my first car, a cranberry red four door 1984 Suzuki Alto, A877 PEG. I would love another one day. I hope this helps people like me.

Camper.jpg

1 hour ago, davidfowler2000 said:

If there's any of East Anglia-ers wanting* to do an extended** convoy, I'll be in Halesworth on Wednesday morning to pick up the MODRIN replacement for the MODRIN Golf and taking it back to Glasgow that day. Swap it for the 740 and head to the FoD on Friday.

That's a whole lot of driving...

21 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

Still, I've never known the FoD to get too damp...

Shitefest 16 turned in to an absolute quagmire

7 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

That's a whole lot of driving...

I drove down to see it the other week and drove home same day.

Wet weather HQ at FoD was erected by the prep squad last weekend.

The other point is that weather forecasters seem to be able to predict that rain is coming, but how much and when it arrives still seems some sort of black art form that computers can't manage accurately so bring sun tan cream as well!

IMG_20190713_123116 broad.jpg