SAVED for a 2nd time Visa Cabriolet in Edinburgh! - New Clutch fitted

Six-cylinder

2 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

That interior should scrub up okay, just the effects of damp there.  Reckon several rolls of good quality duct tape will be needed on key areas of the roof before it goes near the motorway...that bit above the windscreen in particular looks like it's asking to catch the wind and lift it off the car.

Or just drive all the way south with the roof down...maybe not at this time of year!

Didn't realise this one still had the proper early dash, all the happier it has a secure future now.

The foam within the seats tends to disintegrate gradually and come out through the fabric seat coverings as a fine powder. Not such an issue on the cars with vinyl seats.

They have fairly toasty heaters so a long trip with the roof down is not unfeasable - just make sure the inflated passenger does not blow away. 

57 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

The 10E bloody didn't...

Oh, you've just given me one hell of a flashback. Driving to Stirling University to visit my then girlfriend in my Leader, with the crappy heater even further hobbled by the fact the fan wasnt working so I had to rely on speed to get air forced through.

Was still worth it though.

45 minutes ago, CortinaDave said:

Although I'm glad this is being saved, im a little sad its heading so far south as it's a local legend here! I've seen it doddering about now and again for absolutely years and I'll miss that as it always brings a smile

One day it may come back as a tourist visa.

I'm glad someone is saving it and especially glad that someone isn't me...
I was happy that it wasn't available when I had initially made the effort to collect it and feel like I've dodged a bullet!
I know it's probably seen as quite selfish but I predicted it would be as rubbish as last time I drove it and really didn't want to commit to fixing or finding someone to fix it.
I think it might also have a coolant leak so it might be something else worth checking.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, DodgyBastard said:

I'm glad someone is saving it and especially glad that someone isn't me...
I was happy that it wasn't available when I had initially made the effort to collect it and feel like I've dodged a bullet!
I know it's probably seen as quite selfish but I predicted it would be as rubbish as last time I drove it and really didn't want to commit to fixing or finding someone to fix it.
I think it might also have a coolant leak so it might be something else worth checking.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

No problem! I very much appreciate that you did 'ride to the rescue' again when it was needed. Thank you for doing that.

Just a brief update, because it it has all gone quiet does not mean @aldo135 and I are not paddling like swans in a flood beneath the water line!

Mrs6C is now the registered keeper but the log book was disabled so today we got the new V5C and I taxed it at the post office PLG. They kept the log book that arrived today.

The car shows up MOTed, Taxed and insured.

aldo135 is looking for a garage to change the clutch and in the meantime I have bought a clutch kit, clutch cable and oil filter and arranged delivery to aldo135.

Update: The supplier of the clutch kit returned my money saying he had sold all his older clutches as a job lot. I have found another one for £38 and bought that with delivery to aldo135.

51 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Mrs6C is now the registered keeper but the log book was disabled so today we got the new V5C and I taxed it at the post office PLG. They kept the log book that arrived today.

The car shows up MOTed, Taxed and insured.

twas was scoping it out on the DVLA/MOT checker and noticed for some reason it shows up on the MOT checker as registered 31st of December 1985!

so shoved it into my special tool to see if there was anything up with that, nothing in that regard, but I did notice its had a few number plates!

(the special tool does lag behind the DVLA checker hence why @Mrs6C is not showing as the current keeper yet!)

image.thumb.png.0929c110306e4c458a27136b385b3de0.png

its interesting to note that its currently on an Age related plate from 1988, I guess back then they did not give a car back its original registration plate when you took a private plate off a car?

its also interesting that looking back in the thread history that no one noticed this, I guess the V5 makes no mention about the plate being non transferable? (I know today if a car was given an age related plate it would be marked as non transferable AFAIK)

I wonder if it would be possible to get its original plate of B477OFP back on the car :) (its not been issued to anything else AFAIK according to my tool)

I wonder now with todays DVLA if you put B71RJF on retention would they give the car B477OFP back or would you just get another Age related plate?

might be a phone call to the DVLA jobby to ask them whats what!

• 3 months later...

No problem we had a good afternoon! That’s Alex, Ella’s twin brother. He wanted to get in on the act as she thinks she’s famous after appearing in the club mag! We walked over a nearby park to my mother in laws and took her car home as it needed some lockdown exercise... 

The car is in good hands, will let you know when I hear from the garage on Monday :) 

Very lovely to hear that this old heap has a future. I empathise with @CortinaDave when he says an interesting old car is about to vanish from the local street scene but these things are revolving doors aren't they, someone else will soon pull some old chod out of hibernation from a Morningside garage or win a prime slice of tat on Ebay and bring it up from Cornwall or wherever. 

I can't quite work out the script with these vehicle history things, does that screenshot above hint that the Visa might have had a brief early life outside the UK mainland? Inconsistent date of first reg suggests to me it could have been brought in from, say, Ireland back in 88 perhaps. I'm not sure I'd be that worried about trying to secure the previous mark though, unless someone with the initials RJF was thrusting cash into your hand for the current one.

On 3/5/2020 at 6:27 PM, LightBulbFun said:

twas was scoping it out on the DVLA/MOT checker and noticed for some reason it shows up on the MOT checker as registered 31st of December 1985!

so shoved it into my special tool to see if there was anything up with that, nothing in that regard, but I did notice its had a few number plates!

(the special tool does lag behind the DVLA checker hence why @Mrs6C is not showing as the current keeper yet!)

image.thumb.png.0929c110306e4c458a27136b385b3de0.png

its interesting to note that its currently on an Age related plate from 1988, I guess back then they did not give a car back its original registration plate when you took a private plate off a car?

its also interesting that looking back in the thread history that no one noticed this, I guess the V5 makes no mention about the plate being non transferable? (I know today if a car was given an age related plate it would be marked as non transferable AFAIK)

I wonder if it would be possible to get its original plate of B477OFP back on the car :) (its not been issued to anything else AFAIK according to my tool)

I wonder now with todays DVLA if you put B71RJF on retention would they give the car B477OFP back or would you just get another Age related plate?

might be a phone call to the DVLA jobby to ask them whats what!

I think they can issue a random plate but usually issue the original if available. I was told if you write on the paperwork specially to request the old plate that helps too

Also if you don't think they current plate is worth selling you can avoid paying the retention fee by surrendering the current plate. It then disappears forever but you save all the retention/transfer fees. I haven't actually done that but was told its possible by the DVLA when I was considering getting a worthless private plate off my M3 , but never got around to it

1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

The new V5C has finally come showing PLG and Mrs6C name. It has only taken 3 months!

Huzzah! :-)

Keeping B71RJF on it is fine with me.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures of some @aldo135 family outings to scenic Scottish locations, in the sunshire with the roof down!

2 hours ago, Mrs6C said:

Huzzah! :-)

Keeping B71RJF on it is fine with me.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures of some @aldo135 family outings to scenic Scottish locations, in the sunshire with the roof down!

I’ve not been brave enough to try taking the roof down yet... will definitely have a go once it’s back! I’ll look out the speedos and re-create the  advert posted on here a while back ?

On 6/6/2020 at 9:25 AM, Six-cylinder said:

The new V5C has finally come showing PLG and Mrs6C name. It has only taken 3 months!

Weird that it took so long... Mrs_bn’s V5 for her 2CV was completed online on the Monday and returned to us on the Thursday! Couldn’t believe how quickly it was done. 

30 minutes ago, brownnova said:

Weird that it took so long... Mrs_bn’s V5 for her 2CV was completed online on the Monday and returned to us on the Thursday! Couldn’t believe how quickly it was done. 

We received a new V5C generated by the seller notifying DVLA within days, but showed tax class as Disabled, I took the new V5C to the post office to get the Visa Cab taxed because I could not do it on line. The post office kept the V5C to send to DVLA and said the DVLA would send us a new V5C showing PLG.

We then got the V5C showing Disabled back from the DVLA with a letter saying they did not understand why the post office had sent it to them. Mrs6C sent them a polite letter saying she was not entitled to Disabled, we had paid PLG and please could we have a PLG V5C.