Mission Accomplished - Mondeo in Midlandland

Ohdearme

I would like to extend my thanks to those that put their head on the block to shift this and offered to ask the proverbial ugly bird to the dance, I can only apologise that one of you is going to endure the horror of waking up next to her.

Gadget Gricey, console yourself that much like a morning after tryst when the beer goggles have worn off, she’s still not too* bad if you squint a bit.

Wife is pleased, “Great! When are they getting that shit off my drive?”

A convoluted sequence of events have enabled me to deliver the Mondy to the lucky* winner on Monday.

First stop is to drive 30 miles in the wrong direction.

What gives?

Well, I agreed ages back via Shitely Express to smuggle a set of Ovolv wheels down south but they are north relative to me:)

Turns out their destination south is close enough to Gadget for me to stash the Ovlovs in the boot and entrust him with final delivery of them evacuee style to a kindly Vicar. There they will stay under his care until an East/West connection can be made...

Wary of the task ahead, I’ve taxed it and fired it up for a run around this weekend prior to a long run down the M1/42.

Got to work alive, visibility although fine feels like I’m in a pillar box relative to the Glasshouse that is the Galaxy.

Heated windscreen working* it’s magic this morning.

ebf2a4196edf698f126b694f6070e5bc.jpg

The EML light is still on and has continued to stay on, occasionally flashing.

I suspect it is only flashing to try and outshine the snazzy ice warning light that switches from orange at 1-3 degrees to OMGREDZ at zero or below... a feature discovered today.

78984d3cb61fa651496ce12b2ca36fbf.jpg

As for what that EML means?

Car has a bit of hesitancy between 1500-2000 revs and then goes back to behaving normally, in manual mode it won’t rev past 4K (safe mode?) but in auto will happily rev past but power feels restricted, not an issue around town and it gets to 70 so should be alright for a roffle win.

My diagnosis extended to poking under the bonnet and checking for anything loose sensor wise. No dice, I don’t have an odb dongle lying about either so the pleasure* of resolving will fall to Gadget.

Mondy Monday awaits...

Despite the lack of a radio and the faint whine above 40mph of the wheel bearing I forgot just how competent at being CAR this thing is, the heated seat is great, it’s spritely off the line, makes a decent noise and is generally very comfy.

On the way for the wheels, this happened too.

b2a3a0abf57f70e0f5db0a8cd4b2214b.jpg

So I’ve managed to rattle around in it for at least a thousand miles.

I went to collect the Volvo wheels and discovered the wife had been using my shiters as a filing system.

Anything in the Galaxy = Take to tip

Anything in the Mondy = Chazza shop

This was never discussed with me and caused me mild consternation opening the boot to fill it full of vulva wheels and being met with an assortment of goodwill shite.

Dropped seats and hey presto all fits, ready for Monday.

55110efc6285e79e1254dee995e9cb0e.jpg

Got to spend more time with the EML issue, Shipley is a hilly land and the car dissent like the steep hills at all, suggests maybe a fuelling issue like an injector? Otherwise the car behaves fine except between 1800-2000.

It can be driven around with the tiptronic or by squeezing past halfway on the go pedal to trigger a one gear kickdown that gets the revs outnof the problem zone.

It also needs a temp setting of 22.25 degrees as 22 is too cold and 23 is too hot for me.

Whilst driving around, I was pleased to see the duffed display lights had fixed themselves.

This was a surprise as I’d done nothing to fix it.

It was therefore less of a surprise two minutes later when the dash went out again.

I suspect it is a faulty dimmer switch as it was fine until I touched it.

Part comes with all the headlight switch too but as I confirmed with a fumble in queuing traffic, the whole unit comes out easy enough and is only about £15 quid.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F123340975169

A relaxing morning of M number bingo went without incident and I’m now setting off Vicar-wards.

Nothing of note on the morning run, it held about 30mpg and an indicated 74 seems to cancel out the wheel bearing drone.

Onwards, whether I can see my speedo is however in the lap of the illumination gods. They gave up near Sheffield today...

Yay!

fd8629f8738a9a0f4321f18b47fcb908.jpg

Nay!

d3c16642d9f6d515ecf96725235611f9.jpg

Them bulbs are dead easy to replace. Just so ya know ;)

Bulbs are fine, I think it’s the dimmer switch that’s on the blink as they’re intermittent.

It’s a puzzle for the official new owner of the Mondy as I’m now safely back at my hotel having delivered it to Gadget.

No exchange pic but here’s one of some lovely samosas provided on handover as payment for my travails and to avoid the horror of hotel food.

Top shiter, would deal again, etc.

3ef7e258e555bcc87e0db0a2dcb2543a.jpg

Great story. I might have a headlight switch somewhere in my old stock of mondego parts as the dimmer is inclusive of the switch. Do miss my old Mk3s. Had a mk2 ghia estate turn up outside the workshop today. Nearly wet myself. My work colleagues think I’m strange.

Great story. I might have a headlight switch somewhere in my old stock of mondego parts as the dimmer is inclusive of the switch.

Yep, I did a quick exploratory poke and it’s easy to get out, just pull open the cubby to the right of the wheel and reach up.

There’s a flexy rubber that can be pushed up and the unit presses out as a full unit.

Easy fix, etc...

Great story. I might have a headlight switch somewhere in my old stock of mondego parts as the dimmer is inclusive of the switch. Do miss my old Mk3s. Had a mk2 ghia estate turn up outside the workshop today. Nearly wet myself. My work colleagues think I’m strange.

If you do manage to locate the switch, drop me a pm.

Would rather beer tokens to your way, rather than eBay.

Likewise if you have four wheel bolts for when I try and get the locking wheel nuts off, that would also be grand.

Cheers

If you do manage to locate the switch, drop me a pm.

Would rather beer tokens to your way, rather than eBay.

Likewise if you have four wheel bolts for when I try and get the locking wheel nuts off, that would also be grand.

Cheers

I’ve more than likely got them too. Might even have a set of locking nuts with a key. I’ll check on Friday when i go up to my unit. Anything else while I’m there?