Bmw recall now that’s what I call service

Vince70

I’ve just got a call back from BMW as my 318ti compact has a safety related recall which is outstanding from 2001 and it apparently needs a lower steering rack.

I wouldn’t of bothered being it’s 21/22 years old but the dealership said it needs doing (plus the car is mint) and it isn’t a 5 minute job so I’ve even got a courtesy BMW coming my way when it goes in on the 14th so I’m hoping for a new Bini.

Apparently it was a recall for a corrosion issue and something to do with the lower steering column.

I didn’t take it all in if I was honest as I was a bit gob smacked myself.

The dealership have managed to locate the parts for it as well on top of some dusty shelf somewhere.

So this must be a record a 22 year old recall but my Z3 or my E36 cabriolet don’t need it though and I wouldn’t mind but it passed the mot with flying colours the other week so there’s nothing wrong with it really.

I’ve just looked up on the internet and it looks like it’s a Steering column joint that needs replacing rather than the rack but you really can’t complain plus I’ve got an early start at work that day so I might have a free posh coffee as well.

If it’s a Bini I get as a courtesy car I think I will drive over my brothers and tell him I’ve just bought it and won the lottery as he is a Bini nut.

Ask them.  Can't hurt.

I once had a C1 courtesy car swapped for a Dispatch demonstrator because I had to shift some large piece of percussion kit for Musical Offspring.  Timpani, if memory serves.

Service blokes thought it was hilarious   :D

I took my 190e into Merc as there was a missing stamp in it's service book but I had the invoice, they took a good 45 mins to do it so I did quite a bit of damage to the service lounge, Danish pastries, fridge full of pop n juice, chocky bars  :-D

The Vaux Meriva recall works like this, steering fucked you take it in and pay £90 for a diagnostic which will inevitably show the pump is fucked, they fit £700 new pump and give you the £90 back 

I had a Mini Cooper D as a courtesy car from BMW. They even asked what coffee I wanted and left it in the cupholder for me when they bought it round.

The bloke booking mine in reckoned they probably make back the extra they spend on nice cars, by not flooding the market with base models plus the handful of sales per year off the back of "Oooh this is really nice actually".

So this must be a record a 22 year old recall but my Z3 or my E36 cabriolet don’t need it though and I wouldn’t mind but it passed the mot with flying colours the other week so there’s nothing wrong with it really.

Maybe a record.

In the late 80s I got a recall for my 1977 Commer PB ex-Royal Mail van.  Dodge/Commer were long gone so IIRC it was a Renault trucks dealer that did it.  Work done in a morning - some reinforcement to the front lower suspension arms (which looked like they were made of granite anyway and due to engine oil leaks from the Perkins 4107 and over enthusiastic use of grease in steering and suspension by RM were not subject to rust), unlike the rest of the van.

Having worked in dealerships recalls never seem to close and the manfacturers keep a small stock of recall parts.

Dealers like them as it good easy work that they get paid for and the dealer possibly has a list of cars in the area with outstanding recalls. All cars going through a dealer shop be checked for recalls and tech updates if they are on the ball.

I recall getting parts for a 1990ish Shogun about 5 years ago so if get a recall  take it in. My sons 2003 RX8 has just has had a couple done to suspension and fuel pum.

You can check on the dvla website for recalls by reg number.

I had a Ford Fiesta XR2i years ago and it was only 3 years old at the time with an extended Ford warranty and the steering joint went on that.

The thing is Ford said it was a wear and tear item so the warranty didn’t cover the repair so I ended up paying so I’m more than impressed that BMW are calling it in at 22 years old.

I’m wondering now if they will try and talk me out of an autoshite BMW into a new one on the never never lol.

I was doing my G&G at an Alfa Romeo dealers in 1985 when the Suds were recalled for new front lower wishbones - they would rust out and snap. 

Mates who work at Sytners have a good laugh at some of the cars coming in for recalls - really horrible old E46's and E90's etc that are in a properly grim condition. 

I picked up a knackered 1998 punto with OMGHGF from my mates brother in 2005 as he was going to scrap it, we put a new gasket on it along with discs, pads and clutch and got it in for a brake pipe recall where they replaced all the lines, sold it on for £875 and we had a nice free holiday...

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve picked up the hire car off the local BMW dealer and it’s a nice car and should have my motor back tomorrow but I do actually prefer driving my E36.

The 1 series has a lovely stereo which seems easy to work out but I’ve just done a long run and it isn’t as comfortable as it seems to give me a bit of lower back pain and although it feels sure footed when you hit a pothole you feel it.

Plus it keeps asking me to change up at around 1500rpm and with the stereo off it sounds like it needs a set of wheelbearings due to the runflat tyres I imagine.

I might buy one in 20years time if there’s any still on the road but I do prefer my cars to have keys lol

post-9282-0-13074400-1544797487_thumb.jpegpost-9282-0-13379900-1544797517_thumb.jpeg

And my iPhone is taking upside down pictures again lol