Fast and forgotten

Bren

The late 80's and early 90's produced some reasonably quick cars - some of which are pretty much forgotten. I can think of three straight away -

post-4771-0-45112700-1543086178_thumb.jpg

Carlton GSi. Came in 12 and 24v versions, rot killed most but the 24v had a tendancy to break its timing chain.

post-4771-0-61322400-1543086265_thumb.jpg

Granada cosworth. Got a sizeable increase in power over the standard 2.9. I cannot remember the last time I saw one.

post-4771-0-84499500-1543086362_thumb.jpg

Rover 827 Vitesse. Dare I say the shitters choice and much loved by the police.

Anybody think of any others?

Carlton GSI was indeed a weapon.

Beat the Granada to market by several years and one of arguably only a handful of "cool" Vauxhalls.

They really don't make em like that anymore.

This.

The Owd Giffer had a 2.6CDX manual for 14 years.  I'm certain the claimed 150brake was an under-estimate.

I had a 12v Senator 3 litre about 15 years ago which opened my eyes to barges after a lot of time in hot hatches. The way it changed into top at 135mph on full throttle blew my mind.

Also had a couple of 9000 Aeros which I loved, one of which was running just shy of 300bhp and sounded addictive

Dad and uncle bought much stuff like this when I was a kid. Usually when they had fallen to cheap money. Uncle Tony had a Carlton gsi, an m535 and what I remember as an S4 (100 based one with the 5 cylinder quattro engine). We had a thema turbo though. A wierd (beautiful) sort of opaline metallic with a beige alcantara interior. Wonderful

I had a 1991 Nissan 200sx back in 1995, it used to piss all over pretty much anything and was amazing to a 23 year old me, I used to go hunting cosworths in it, it was indecently fast with a few mods, nobody really knew what it was and it'd do this for fun

Nothing I've owned (car wise) since has felt as fast or been as much fun, circa 250bhp was an awful lot 25 odd years ago. 5c2bccbe47a77d93a6cc2c9182ba6503.jpg

It would do 157mph on the limiter which I did regularly pretty much anywhere I could, I wouldn't dare these days.

Oh yeah they were ridiculous for the time, other notable stuff were the colt turbo with hi/lo gearbox and the fiat uno turbo, they always felt faster than they actually were but then again they weighed about as much as an empty crisp packet, I got left for dead in my mk2 XR2 by a Renault 5GTT and didn't buy another N/A car for a long time :D