2004 Peugeot 307 XSi 170BHP - For Sale £650

Tepper

Thought I'd test the waters to see if anyone's interested in this. I bought it off facebook marketplace, it was absolutely bollocksed when I picked it up, it's now quite a bit less bollocksed but I just don't like it very much.

Good points:

-Can be supplied with a remap to 170bhp from the stock 136bhp, goes like a greased weasel.

-Quite high spec, has fancy stuff like heated auto folding mirrors and cruise control. Some of these features actually still work.

-Just been serviced.

-EGR/DPF have been properly dealt with, not a problem for MOT purposes.

-Pretty good on fuel, the trip computer says 42mpg average, but that's including plenty of short trips and being sat in traffic. It's got a really tall 6th gear so on a motorway run you'll be in the high 40s.

-A/C and climate control works well

-I've spent more time/money than I should've getting it sorted out. It's had:

-Front coil spring and top mount bearing

-Front anti-roll bar bushes and drop links

-Rear axle bushes

-Rear shock absorbers

-Front discs and pads

-Front brake hose, brake fluid flushed through/changed

-Handbrake cable

-New replacement front grille

-New windscreen washer pump

And probably some other stuff that I can't think of right now. MOT 'til March-ish next year.

Bad points:

-Currently has an antipollution system warning up on the dash, I think this is something to do with an air temperature sensor - I changed the one in the manifold a while ago, have just changed the MAF and wiped the fault codes so hopefully it's sorted, but assume the fault's there for now. It drives fine even with the fault codes, but I'll update in a few weeks.

-Some of the toys don't work or are erratic - the CD changer for example is disconnected because it's cacked. Auto wipers and headlights don't seem to do anything either.

-Some alloys a bit scabby

-Has a rattle from somewhere, sounds like a heatshield - will try to take a look at it this weekend.

-Slight wheel wobble at motorway speeds - I don't think it's balancing. I'm using the car for a 400-mile round trip every week and it doesn't bother me too much. Also seems to pull slightly to the left, I've had it tracked and it's better now but is still there.

-Possible timing belt kit needed. There's a receipt somewhere for a belt at around 95k IIRC, the interval on these is 100K but one of the tensioners sounds like it could be noisy - not too sure. If I wanted to keep it I'd stick a belt kit on it.

If anyone's interested, I'm in Bradford during the week and Reading at the weekends. I'm using it to go back and forth every week, so if you're anywhere in between I could stop off for your perusal. I might be interested in a swap for something wafty but I've just come into the possession of a mildly borked pisshat so a sale would be ideal. It's not a bad car really but I just don't like it, should give reasonable service for someone I'd hope. Not too sure on price, I think it's fair and it's definitely less than it owes me but I'm open to discussion. If anyone wants to swap for a Jaaaaag XJ6/XJ8 that'd be grand.

Not a clue why the pictures have been turned upside down - sorry!

post-26786-0-10445900-1542997493_thumb.jpg

post-26786-0-54997700-1542997521_thumb.jpg

post-26786-0-99956700-1542997541_thumb.jpg

post-26786-0-03394000-1542997572_thumb.jpg

post-26786-0-00931900-1542997590_thumb.jpg

It's a weird thing, but when I see a for sale listing with upside down pictures I immediately close the tab on my browser. It has the same effect as reading that the car won't run, or that it failed the MOT for terminal corrosion, but it's daft because it might be a nice car... I just actually can't tell what it is that's for sale.

Bad pictures don't always put me off - in fact they sometimes make me keener, like, because it looks like the seller hasn't got a clue, other people will miss it, I'll get a bargain, etc... But there's something weird psychological that happens with upside down pictures. I just can't take the listing seriously. Is it meant to be some kind of a joke?

Now the pictures are the right way round I see that what you're selling is quite a nice little car. So GLWTS, and have a free bump on me.

Thanks, I guess? I usually try to make sure the pictures are orientated in the correct manner, they were before they were uploaded but quite frankly I couldn't be arsed with turning them upside down then re-uploading them. Cheers djoptix for sorting them out.

I feel like I'm missing a joke with the shot that cavcraft has posted, but more importantly it features details of the supplying dealer sticker, which conveniently provided guidance on what I should've done with the car on purchase: (weigh)Bridge Motors.

I had one of these and the build quality was actually excellent - the last time i had drove french was a Saxo and they were worlds apart. I had the non-fap diesel (fnar fnar) and i think the above is FAP which includes a particulate filter just after the downpipe. Mine died from rotten sills in the end but it was a really nice motor.

Cavcraft is sour that they don't do Lexus lights for his car.

I'm not surprised, they are a highly desirable* feature. In fact that's one of the reasons I'm getting rid of this chariot, the hordes of ladies throwing themselves at me/the car is getting somewhat tiresome.

In other news, the MAF has not cured the antipollution warning - seems like it might not be boosting like it's supposed to as well. Still goes well enough but isn't 100%. Would probably take £550 as is.

This did leave the factory with a FAP, but this particular example is no longer burdened with such toss. It has been mapped out, so not the cause of the antipollution warning, and the exterior of the FAP is still present, so looks no different to anyone performing any sort of annual roadworthiness type inspection. Sills appear to be OK, did yours have a sunroof by any chance?

• 1 month later...

Still here, open to offers. Latest thoughts are it could be sticking VNT vanes in the turbo but I can't see an easy way to try the Mr Muscle trick. May have a look at taking the turbo off but that involves dropping the subframe - any potential buyer is welcome to have a go at this on the lift.