This is the

Joloke

There are a number of jobs needed on the fleet this winter. The problem is it’s cold, it’s dark when I get home from work and it’s that time of year where weekends start to fill up with festive activities and such like.

No plans to hibernate any of the fleet (bar thecamper)

So I’m guessing a few jobs will get chucked to my tame mechanic, others will get ignored til it’s lighter/warmer.

Oh for a larger garage and one with power!

Huggy lives outside in the back alley, so no work will be done there.  He does need the front brakes looking at, I suspect new pads, but since I'm not driving I haven't done anything about that yet, and probably won't.  If he's still here when/if I get my licence back then I'll have him into one of my handy garages and let them see to it.

I've got a fully stripped down motorbike in the kitchen (still) which I really must get stuff done on this year. Currently the frame is next door getting the last bit of welding & then it'll go for powder coating. I want to get a rolling chassis built up, so I'll need new rims, wheels rebuilt, forks chromed etc. Then I can decide what I want as a replacement electrical box because the current one is shite, along with what seat & mudguards are going on. Once that is all done I'll strip & rebuild the engine, that's waiting for now as I'll have too many bits spread around.

As for working conditions, my kitchen is warm & wipe clean :)

Some rust-proofing on my Bongo is planned in a couple of weeks, its the most solid one I could find when I bought it so I intend to keep it that way. It was undersealed when imported in 2015 so should keep it at bay in the important areas, just noticed some surface rust in exposed places like the front cross member. 

Not much happening for me, the jaaaaaaag will be used sparingly until the salty weather comes, then will be hibernated. It could do with a wheel balance as there was a bit of a wobble over 70* bringing it home at the weekend, but it won't be doing much motorway driving in the near future so meh for now. It doesn't look like anyone is interested in the lancer so I think that'll continue to be used for winter duties, which it is performing perfectly fine. I'll most likely be getting the Prelude prepped for a sale/Roffle soon as a result, I imagine that'll be a bit more popular.

*I wasn't speeding ocifer, honest

Minor needs the damper looking at on the o/s/f. Changed the passenger side a few months back so would like to even things up so they're both new, plus something on the drivers side seems to have a tiny bit of play (not detected on MOT) and I think it may be this as everything else is new. Also want to change the steering rack fluid.

Smart needs one of the sump bolts drilling out. I replaced the sump back in the summer due to it leaking. It's held on by 14 tiny torx bolts that were a bit of a nightmare to get off. I got all but one out, which handily is the only one that isn't a "blind" hole so can nut and bolt it if necessary. Also needs a new cam cover gasket and turbo intake seal to cure very slight oil leaks (not even dripped on the ground yet).

I'm very fortunate that both cars are garaged nowadays and neither are used when the roads are salted. I remember doing work on the Minor over winter when it was kept outside and even the most basic jobs were bloody miserable.

Probe has mysteriously lost all boost and wasn't running as well as I'd like before that anyway, so it's getting a proper going through and potentially some power modifications.

The Espace needs a full service, I've got the bits just need to get it done and also chase some electrical gremlins.

Garage is too narrow to work in, but the drive is pretty well protected from wind and rain so it's not too bad.

The Mondeo will just get driven daily and hope that it keeps on keeping on.  It is overdue an oil change so it may get that and a basic service on Monday, weather/motivation permitting.  The starter motor has been a bit temperamental lately but fingers crossed seems to be behaving now

Granada is garaged, SORN and unlikely to see the light of day again until spring.  Another year having passed with me failing to resolve the braking issue - not that I have exactly worked tirelessly to try.

Both face uncertain futures in 2019 so i'm not putting too much time or money into either of them.

Transit Connect will get greasy black Dynax stuff splattered onto the sills every time I can face lying on the ground.

Honda Insight - the drive battery doesn't enjoy the cold and needs a "balancing" charge more often. Less boringly I am trying to make a bung for the big air intake in the bumper to try keep the engine temperature up in this miserable weather.

The 635 doesn't go on salty roads because I'll have too much welding to do next summer. So it'll sit for a bit where if I can be arsed, it'll get a service and a sunroof seal. I also have to sort the boot seal out and refit the trim inside after. The touring will be pressed into winter service and the Landrover desperately needs a set of winter tyres.

This might be a bit of a surprise to you lot, but I actually hate winter. I mean really badly fucking detest winter.

Therefore I don’t do much at all. 75% of the fleet live outside so I don’t do anything heavy unless I absolutely have to. The Capri is garaged but it’s a small garage so work inside is very limited.

Everything except the Volvo comes off the road anyway once the first salt goes down so there’s often very little needs doing anyway.

Tbh though, it’s not the cold that puts me off. I work outdoors all year round anyway. It’s the constant rain that does me in, fucking stuff!

T25 camper - Indoors already.   Bit of a list on the dash that needs doing, mostly to do with the habitation electrics.  Needs a tickle with the sparky wand but I won't attempt to book that in until after Christmas.   I probably will end up not doing any of the electrics and curse the shitty wiring all next summer like I have for the last 5.....  

Minor and Cowley are rotating between garage, carport and fine-day useage.   The Cowley is actually up the garage three villages away having the rear brakes rebuilt as I have never been happy with the adjustment or the handbrake.   Should come home tomorrow.   Other than that its just a few little jobs for the odd hour of tolerable climate - things like door striker adjustment, re-routing the bonnet release rods and a bonnet hinge pin that needs renewing.   Minor brakes are a concern as well - I will farm that out over the winter and possibly replace the boot lid with the one which has been doused in Bilt-Hamber in the garage for about four years. 

Merc will just get any necessary  running repairs done by the independent I use and the Fiesta will be abused over the winter.   I really need to think about changing that car for something a bit waftier so that the Merc can have a bit of a rest.   

My luxurious maintenance facilities consist of an old concrete base in the back garden where a garage or big shed once stood that is raised a couple of feet above ground level at one end. I can gingerly poke the car's nose over the edge and have quite handy access to the underside of the engine without jacking up (although I usually still do).

Stuff's at a standstill at the moment. Need to find a wee workshop somewhere, but the prices are mental. I need somewhere I can weld without getting electric shocks.. Central Scotland shiters Co-Op anyone?

Some rust-proofing on my Bongo is planned in a couple of weeks, its the most solid one I could find when I bought it so I intend to keep it that way. It was undersealed when imported in 2015 so should keep it at bay in the important areas, just noticed some surface rust in exposed places like the front cross member.

About worst possible time to attempt that. You want a dry summers day to rustproof.

No garage, no driveway, just three spaces filled by my choddage in the cul-de-sac I live in. One such parking bay is my 'garage' for working on the cars, as it's the only place I can work safely without being run over.

Main project is to finish off diagnosing as much as I can on the poorly 214, but I accept this may have to be farmed out to MGR Mobile if ends up being a big job. Ideally I'd like a garage to pop this one into for hibernation if I can't get it going soon, but garages off the council/my employer (a Housing Association) are like gold dust at present.

Streetwise needs brakes sorting pretty soon, and I want to do some of the two yearly service things (coolant and brake fluid renewal). I may be able to dodge rain and snow showers in the next few weeks and crack on with those jobs. I also want to get underneath and do some preventative treatment although I can't see that job happening this side of winter, now. I'll just keep on with the weekly washes on a Sunday.

Cruiser needs a couple of bits doing, mostly big jobs arising from MoT advisories re suspension, but that can definitely wait until Spring - it's got 11 months ticket so it'll be fine for now. Also would eventually like to resolve the clattering it makes at idle.

Stuff's at a standstill at the moment. Need to find a wee workshop somewhere, but the prices are mental. I need somewhere I can weld without getting electric shocks.. Central Scotland shiters Co-Op anyone?

You are more than welcome to weld your car at my place in Cowdenbeath, we have a ramp and an old 3 phase esab mig welder.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

I seem to accidentally bought some fire bricks and have access to someone's shed which has only one moped in (currently). Shed to end of garden fence is about 2m (6 of your feet) but has some tall trestles between shed and fence for prettiness. I can extend the shed unnoticed by 2m and build in a bread/pizza oven (wood fired space heater) with chimney through the roof, I have a smoll solar panel + regulator + 12v battery + big 12v amp + 12v LEDs +  access to their wifi from the shed. MotoMorini or CZ or HMW  will fit in the space.

Main project is this little heap.

37296651_10156608352603200_8631293284519

I have an engine sitting in the workshop that needs going over, then putting in. Needs the windscreen replacing, and I have one. Hoping it'll progress pretty swiftly. I like winter projects, because my weekends are my own again with the show season over.