1980 Talbot Solara 1.6 GLS

Dayno

Also changed the leads for a new set before doing this but that didn't help. I still doubt it's the coil as it starts every time providing the battery has juice in it. Not sure if I trust myself taking the carb to bits yet  :?

Also, I may have to put this up for sale soon as I've got 3 cars and nowhere to put them! It's not nice seeing this sat outside either as the rust is only going to get worse until I get around to tidying it up which won't be until the Summer. If anyone's interested, please send me a PM.

Yes, that is where the fault will be. Clean out the passages at either side of the jet. They just look like holes but feed up into the main body. Try carb cleaner with a straw placed squarely on the hole. When the air cleaner is removed you should get the carb cleaner spraying out the top. Also check the jets which are at each side of the carb body. Be careful not to loose the rubber O ring.

Disappointed to see this for sale over on FB.  Are you throwing the towel in because of the idle issue?  Perhaps just chucking it at an experienced grease monkey would be better than walking away??

Just a thought.  Good luck whatever you do.

Thanks, there's someone I know who would be happy to look at it so I may well do that. It's a combination of a couple of things really, somehow I've ended up with 3 cars so now haven't got the space, also funds are a bit short so one of them needs to go. Out of the 3, this is the one I would like to keep most so hopefully I'll be able to hang on to it. I'm having second thoughts already so will probably withdraw the post shortly!

Did an oil change on her the other day, bloody freezing outside but I booked the day off work and it needed one... hoping to look at the carb again soon and fingers crossed it's just the case of the jets/tubes being blocked up causing the splutteriness. One thing I thought was odd is the drain bolt which is unlike other cars I've had, hex shape cutout (inside a cicle) instead of it being the head, so it involved buying some specific hex bit sockets.

post-26804-0-98234300-1548543911_thumb.jpg

post-26804-0-73999600-1548543919_thumb.jpg

post-26804-0-44272600-1548543927_thumb.jpg

Okay so I looked at the slow running/idle jets again today and also the 2 emulsion tubes in the carb to make sure they were properly clear using carb cleaner and then blowing them through. I put it back together and went for a run in it afterwards but it's still spluttering unfortunately. I've spoken to a knowledgeable Talbot enthusiast who owns a Solara which is ironically suffering from the exact same issue at the moment and he is also unsure as to what to try next. My parents don't share the same love for it as I do and are sick of seeing it stuck on the driveway so I'm probably going to put it up for sale to see if anyone wants to take this on, I'll put up a separate for sale post.