The Jaywick Chevy

bigstraight6

I've only encountered one person from Jaywick. I did him a favour and the fucker never even said thankyou.

Fair enough, most of the kids I went to school with also lived in Jaywick - a society of  alcoholism, petty crime, unemployment, substandard housing, depression and drug abuse AND high incidence of suicide, so carry on with your "hilarious" disparaging comments it really helps.

I'll not be posting on here again.

There was a link to a local newspaper report about the hit and run on the Chevy on the 'angry people in local newspapers' Facebook group.

Edit - YouTube video:

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20181118-113353.png

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20181118-113359.png

Doesn't show up on current edition of Google Street View.

There is this little shite tableau, though....

The damage to that Impala is a lot worse than it looked in the video I watched - we didn't see it from the side. 

I wonder what'll happen to it?  I can't imagine repair panels for those grow on trees, and it doesn't look the sort of dent that'll pop out with a kettle of water over it.  It would be a shame if it got scrapped.

It isn't entirely hopeless, though:

https://www.classicindustries.com/shop/1960/chevrolet/impala/parts/body-panels/

The correct thing to do for Autoshite would be to group fund the repair of this Jaywick icon.

A contact person in Jaywick we know now and we could 'beg' other forii, like a certain blue one and maybe even the lads from CWM.

The latter might even be able to assist with sourcing second hand parts.

Extra shite points if we could win the support of a local panel beater.

Oh, and I herewith drop 20 quid into the virtual hat of the "Autoshite for Jaywick's Chevy" campaign.

The correct thing to do for Autoshite would be to group fund the repair of this Jaywick icon.

A contact person in Jaywick we know now and we could 'beg' other forii, like a certain blue one and maybe even the lads from CWM.

Oh, and I herewith drop 20 quid into the virtual hat.

DVLA records it as SORN'd, so someone has it somewhere....

The latter might even be able to assist with sourcing second hand parts.

Oh, and I herewith drop 20 quid into the virtual hat of the "Autoshite for Jaywick's Chevy" campaign.

This is a very nice idea. Now to locate car and owner? Rock Autos will do some bits and depending on the circumstances I would guess other US supplers and Clubs. Be a nice gesture of solidarity with people there if welcome.

Maybe that dumbass septic polifuckingtician could have saved his constituency a shitload of travel expenses had he just looked around him?

84715574.jpg

2BBB6F0200000578-0-image-a-52_1440777665

WEB48e028_DET01_USA_DETROIT_BANKRUPTCY_0

lead_720_405.jpg

Not that Britain should be proud of Jaywick, mind.

It is alas down largely to economics or geographical factors. Places no longer have a reason to exist be it a former steel town or a former holiday village or in the longer term the local river silts up and leaves a port inland or drowns a town for example Dunwich. Some make it - and some struggle. The UK has quite a lot of abandoned medieval towns and villages, once thriving but now just a few humps and dips in the grass. Same very much for the USA where the industries have come and gone.

This is Cairo Illinois. Once thriving now mostly abandoned.

post-20142-0-53581200-1542647809_thumb.jpg

Fair enough, most of the kids I went to school with also lived in Jaywick - a society of alcoholism, petty crime, unemployment, substandard housing, depression and drug abuse AND high incidence of suicide, so carry on with your "hilarious" disparaging comments it really helps.

Please don't take my comment quoted above as in any way meant to be "hilarious".

It was a description of a program made about the area and if you recall I hoped that it was not accurate.

I understand that these things must be hard to read for someone with a connection to the area and people and I don't want you to think I was talking the piss.

I have a friend who runs a community project in Boston and every time anything B****t happens, the journalists appear, film the very worst bits, interview a couple of down and outs and portray that as Boston.

It makes him bang his head against the wall.

It is alas down largely to economics or geographical factors. Places no longer have a reason to exist be it a former steel town or a former holiday village or in the longer term the local river silts up and leaves a port inland or drowns a town for example Dunwich. Some make it - and some struggle. The UK has quite a lot of abandoned medieval towns and villages, once thriving but now just a few humps and dips in the grass. Same very much for the USA where the industries have come and gone.

Even more reason for that braindead yank to stop emitting his stupid fascist bullshit.

I very much doubt the US politician (still less the intern doing their graphic design) knew or cared where the picture was taken or had ever heard of Jaywick or even Essex.   

They probably guessed it was somewhere like Camden NJ and chose it after clicking through dozens of pictures of shabby buildings from a stock image agency looking for one with a nice shaped bit of sky for the words to go.

Same very much for the USA where the industries have come and gone.

I actually detoured through Cairo Illinois last year purely because it gets mentioned a lot in these 'cities in decline' pieces.  It wasn't that bad in terms of destitution, i think there had been a push to demolish the old buildings so there were just a few once-grand buildings surrounded by vacant lots.  Most of the people left years ago as the river trade changed.

Don't know about Jaywick particularly but in a lot of these places wouldn't it be better to move the tenants, buy out the owners and just shut the place down?  What's the point of a pit village if the pit closed in 1982 for example?  May sound harsh but not intended to be, surely it's better to move people to somewhere with more prospects than support a place with no jobs and increasing social issues?

I actually detoured through Cairo Illinois last year purely because it gets mentioned a lot in these 'cities in decline' pieces.  It wasn't that bad in terms of destitution, i think there had been a push to demolish the old buildings so there were just a few once-grand buildings surrounded by vacant lots.  Most of the people left years ago as the river trade changed.

Don't know about Jaywick particularly but in a lot of these places wouldn't it be better to move the tenants, buy out the owners and just shut the place down?  What's the point of a pit village if the pit closed in 1982 for example?  May sound harsh but not intended to be, surely it's better to move people to somewhere with more prospects than support a place with no jobs and increasing social issues?

Yes after World War 2 a lot of slum and substandard housing was demolished in the UK - out in Essex that was what happened to a lot of these small plotland settlements and the new town of Basildon was built. But where there is an established community the push has been to regenerate areas as a better way of addressing economic and social need. The smaller geography of the UK makes this kind of revitalisation more viable perhaps than the US where distances are greater and places like Cairo with less of an easy future. Though at Cairo I think there is a very active community looking to revitalise and reinvent the place. Some of the Sears kit-built houses in Cairo have been restored.

It's been tried in the 'slum' clearance program's demolish older solid properties and force the residents to relocate into tower blocks.

Nobody who was 'helped' thinks that was a good idea, communities were destroyed along with neighbourhood spirit.

Ironically after the early 70's the clearance programme stopped and the houses left have outlived the towers built to replace them which have been demolished. 

Yep the entire hamlet of stone built detatched cottages where my Dad was born and raised were condemned as they didn't have an inside toilet and those renting there were moved to prefabs, if you owned you had to pay for the demolition and a new home, as a bonus the council would never allow rebuilding on the site, we last tried again in about 2000.

Edit have a mentioned how long my family can hold a grudge..... :)

It's been tried in the 'slum' clearance program's demolish older solid properties and force the residents to relocate into tower blocks.

Nobody who was 'helped' thinks that was a good idea, communities were destroyed along with neighbourhood spirit.

Well sure, it's not easy to do and the road to hell is paved with good intentions,  But is the alternative, which seems to be paying for almost everyone in places like Jaywick to be on benefits in sub-standard housing, any better? None of these regeneration efforts ever seem to bear much fruit. 

Maybe spend a fraction of what a forced resettlement would cost into bringing enterprise, jobs and manufacturing back to the area, I'm not familiar with Jaywick and its history but there must be some reason it was there?

I'm suffering from thread drift and verging on grumpy (again) but the people who make the rules here are obsessed with keeping London and its big businesses happy (and paying as little tax as possible) and to hell with the rest of the county

I've been interested in Jaywick for quite a number of years and used to visit from time to time.  It was originally a plotlands development - a village of self-built holiday chalets for Londoners that were never intended for full time occupation.  The original scheme covered the roads in the most impoverished 'Brooklands' area of Jaywick that are named after car manufacturers.   There's also the 'Grasslands' area where the roads are named after flowers, and the Tudor estate which is less deprived.

In common with other plotland developments, the chalets came to be occupied full time by bombed out Londoners, but the real decline came when the Clacton Butlin's holiday camp closed down in 1983 which took a lot of money out of the local economy.  The local council has not historically been supportive of Jaywick, viewing it as more of a problem hence there hasn't been much investment in infrastructure and they've made noises about demolishing it which the residents have resisted.  It seems that there's a strong sense of community amongst the long term residents, although the area does seem to attract incomers who bring various problems with them.

Well sure, it's not easy to do and the road to hell is paved with good intentions,  But is the alternative, which seems to be paying for almost everyone in places like Jaywick to be on benefits in sub-standard housing, any better? None of these regeneration efforts ever seem to bear much fruit. 

The Jaywick example is different in that it's really former holiday homes lived in all year. Think living all year round on Cape Cod as a US example - pretty breezy in winter in houses first built for summer.  Regeneration does work - the English City of Sheffield has been transformed in the city centre but it all does depend on where you start. In Jaywick its the quality of the existing housing stock, lack of services and marshland position amongst other things which has presented particular difficulties. But efforts are ongoing so let's hope. We may be fixing a damaged Chevy to contribute our little bit. There have also been unscrupulous landlords renting out homes but contributing little in terms of repair.

I've been interested in Jaywick for quite a number of years and used to visit from time to time.  It was originally a plotlands development - a village of self-built holiday chalets for Londoners that were never intended for full time occupation.  The original scheme covered the roads in the most impoverished 'Brooklands' area of Jaywick that are named after car manufacturers.   There's also the 'Grasslands' area where the roads are named after flowers, and the Tudor estate which is less deprived.

In common with other plotland developments, the chalets came to be occupied full time by bombed out Londoners, but the real decline came when the Clacton Butlin's holiday camp closed down in 1983 which took a lot of money out of the local economy.  The local council has not historically been supportive of Jaywick, viewing it as more of a problem hence there hasn't been much investment in infrastructure and they've made noises about demolishing it which the residents have resisted.  It seems that there's a strong sense of community amongst the long term residents, although the area does seem to attract incomers who bring various problems with them.

The Jaywick example is different in that it's really former holiday homes lived in all year. Think living all year round on Cape Cod as a US example - pretty breezy in winter in houses first built for summer.  Regeneration does work - the English City of Sheffield has been transformed in the city centre but it all does depend on where you start. In Jaywick its the quality of the existing housing stock, lack of services and marshland position amongst other things which has presented particular difficulties. But efforts are ongoing so let's hope. We may be fixing a damaged Chevy to contribute our little bit. There have also been unscrupulous landlords renting out homes but contributing little in terms of repair.

And it does have a really nice beach. I have been there once. It reminded me of a bit Venice Beach LA - I kid not. Both started about the same time for the same reason as speculative holiday resorts and both with beach hut type architecture. Venice though it has been done up in recent years is just as scruffy in parts and years ago was really terrible. Only difference - the sun and city location. Pic is only one block back from the Venice seafront - you would never realise.

post-20142-0-05598600-1542663535_thumb.jpg

Fair enough, most of the kids I went to school with also lived in Jaywick - a society of  alcoholism, petty crime, unemployment, substandard housing, depression and drug abuse AND high incidence of suicide, so carry on with your "hilarious" disparaging comments it really helps.

I had never heard of Jaywick until this thread started. I had to Google it and only found negativity.

Rather than be offended, could you tell us more about the good points of this place and it's current or former residents?

So far, you are Jaywicks only spokesperson!

(Serious post, not sarcasm)