The Jaywick Chevy

bigstraight6

On yesterday’s ITV early evening news there was the story of some UN bod visiting the UK and declaring dreadful amounts of poverty, he naturally visited that horrendous impoverished shanty town Jaywick, and there was brief footage of a 1960 Chevy Impala with its rear end stoved in apparently abandoned on the seafront road. I found that as distressing as the story itself, did anyone else notice it?

Should I do my best Jaywick annecdote?

Oh go on then.

2002. I was between jobs on garden leave so rode shotgun with my mate who was a printer engineer. We got a call to investigate a broken bit of kit at the Guinness charity at Jaywick.

Got there about 3pm. As we exit the car a couple of scallys on bikes come over and offer to ‘look after the car for a fiver’. We politely smiled and declined, explaining that the dog we also had in the car could do that.

“Dog put out fires does he sir”? came one lad’s reply.

He was probably 10.

Oh go on then.

2002. I was between jobs on garden leave so rode shotgun with my mate who was a printer engineer. We got a call to investigate a broken bit of kit at the Guinness charity at Jaywick.

Got there about 3pm. As we exit the car a couple of scallys on bikes come over and offer to ‘look after the car for a fiver’. We politely smiled and declined, explaining that the dog we also had in the car could do that.

He was probably 10.

Only if the scally was on fire

Maybe

I saw a YouTube video by Jaywick Sands Happy Club supremo Danny Sloggett about the need for a public toilet near the beach, and it fleetingly featured the sore ass Impala.   He said it had been damaged in a hit and run accident and belongs to one of the houses on the seafront.  Jaywick not being the richest area, it's possible that they can't afford to repair it immediately.

Oh go on then.

He was probably 10.

Fair play I heard that exact same story about scally kids in Govan in Glasgow and Anfield in Liverpool repeated over the last 25 years!!!

No doubt that the little shits have had the information passed down to them from parents* and grandparents** over time.

Christ you could tell you we're DANNNN SARRRFFF, a fiver?

The kids in the stories only charged £2 ooooop north!!!

JM's climate improvement* programme will see it immersed shortly, so perhaps it will adapt to the rising waters by building on stilts and putting surplus Dacia engines on the back of skiffs like in 'The Man With The Golden Gun'?

I'm from Jaywick, it's time to give the "Jaywick is Shit" comments a rest, some people who live there have little choice, little hope and no future but the constant negative comments from the media and you lot etc. laughing at them do not help.

Sorry man. I did deliberately say this was some time ago - and hope things have improved.

I maintain that it’s an embarrassment to us all that folks had to live like this. However, many choose to remain because it’s home. Fair play.

Again, sorry champ.

The damage to that Impala is a lot worse than it looked in the video I watched - we didn't see it from the side. 

I wonder what'll happen to it?  I can't imagine repair panels for those grow on trees, and it doesn't look the sort of dent that'll pop out with a kettle of water over it.  It would be a shame if it got scrapped.

Incidentally, for those that are interested in seeing how the UN visit to Jaywick was run, Danny Sloggett streamed it here

I’d be fairly certain the people who live in Jaywick are acutely aware what it’s like. When it’s on these propaganda programs it just ends up making the place like a zoo. I’d doubt very much it’s worse to live in than many places in inner city London if you aren’t involved in the politics of everything.

I’d doubt that Chevy will be sat there long though, that’s some serious reconstruction work that needs and your talking money for that.

He was probably 10.

I've had that exact experience in Kings Lynn sometime in the early 90s but without the dog or the witty response of the kids.

I suspect it was a well used trick with certain sections of society.

There was a documentary series on C5 following a few of the more colourful characters lives in Jaywick.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6ceh8e

It painted a pretty grim picture of alcoholism, petty crime, unemployment, substandard housing, depression and drug abuse.

Hope for those that live there that there was some journalistic exaggeration.

I'm from Jaywick, it's time to give the "Jaywick is Shit" comments a rest, some people who live there have little choice, little hope and no future but the constant negative comments from the media and you lot etc. laughing at them do not help.

I've only encountered one person from Jaywick. I did him a favour and the fucker never even said thankyou.

That pic reminds me of Fleetwood; not sure if that's flattering or offensive, but it doesn't seem uniquely awful. It's just like any number of inner city areas of poverty, just this one's by the North Sea and therefore has novelty value for media types.

There was a documentary series on C5 following a few of the more colourful characters lives in Jaywick.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6ceh8e

It painted a pretty grim picture of alcoholism, petty crime, unemployment, substandard housing, depression and drug abuse.

Hope for those that live there that there was some journalistic exaggeration.

Aye, I watched that. It was pretty depressing. I guess they'll have picked the best people for the show though. Still horrible that those people lived those lives.