Brown as fuck: 2001 BMW X5 3.0 - Exxon5!

Kiltox

Well for the first time mine gave me an FTP.

The battery was too dicharged to start it after a week standing. I've left it for longer before and no problems. So either the alarm was activated or there is a problem. Looking at t'internet there seems to be an issue with the X5 waking up by itself and draining the battery. The giveaway is the gear selector light by the lever; if that is lit then the car is not asleep. This can be down to either the TCM - so pull fuse 74 - or the heater fab switch - change. Mind you, there is a 16-18 minute delay after locking before it goes to sleep, making diagnosis a lengthy process.

In the meantime a set of jump leads and a slave battery are the order of the day.

In better news the trip home resulted in it breaking into the 20mpg for the first time....

Glad to know yours is doing well Mr K.

Wow, I never knew that when BMW bought and pillaged Rover they took the electrics from the p38 as a starting point for the x5.

Mine is a Kenwood, it's just a screen so would look at home anywhere. I'm really happy with it - it does everything and sounds great. Sat nav works off the phone, and there's a discreet little DAB aerial on the windscreen. I keep meaning to do an in depth review on my thread, I'll get around to it one day!

Interested in this please hurry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Windscreen is still pissing me off big time so as a final attempt to sort it before it gets a brick through it, I’ve ordered a bottle of Ceriglass and some rayon polishing pads for my DA polisher.... gulp!

Ah that's what it's called I couldn't remember, I'm going to order some to do the windscreen on the jag as driving in the dark and rain isn't fun presently.

• 2 weeks later...

Gave the windscreen a pass with Ceriglass today on a DA with rayon pad. It’s definitely now a little bit clearer but would probably need multiple passes to get much better.

Noticed it has a couple of nasty chips, both towards the extremes of the swept area so not a MOT issue until they crack.

Not sure how much a windscreen would cost but it would benefit massively from one.

Have you tried those windscreen chip repair kits? My 172 had a nasty chip in the screet outside the swept area, about the size of a 10p. The product vastly reduced the size and visibility of it.

I'd second this - I've used the rain-x kit a few times over the years on different cars, I'd recommend it to anyone. It's a tenner on Halfords, but you can get an equivalent online even cheaper - and you can repair a good few chips with one kit.

Thanks chaps but the fact it’s scratched to fuck as well as chipped in several places (some of the chips are really small, you only notice them when there’s polish stuck in them) means it’s really the end of the line for the screen should I choose to do anything with it

If it's just a cosmetic thing, I can understand that - scratches and pitting are annoying. That said, I had my screen replaced once because a big chip spread over a couple of days into a proper crack. A week after the new screen went in, I got into the car for my morning commute and flicked the wiper on to get rid of some condensation/dew.

The noise that (the little bit of grit trapped in) my wiper blade made was horrible. The big curved scratch is still there 7 years later and it still annoys me when I see the bloody thing.

Worth noting it is a BMW screen so based on the fact very few replacements are actually OE, 18 years and 152,000 miles isn’t bad going.

Hi Kiltox

Mine was much the same last year. 188k and the original BMW screen in 16 years.

Gave the windscreen a pass with Ceriglass today on a DA with rayon pad. It’s definitely now a little bit clearer but would probably need multiple passes to get much better.

Noticed it has a couple of nasty chips, both towards the extremes of the swept area so not a MOT issue until they crack.

Not sure how much a windscreen would cost but it would benefit massively from one.

Can't you diddle insurance for £75?

• 10 months later...
4 minutes ago, skattrd said:

How much now?

It’s been with @95 quid Peugeot for a while but he’s not really making use of it and has given me first refusal - I’m keen to have it back and try to go through it sorting out the issues that annoyed me when I had it before (inop parking sensors, spare wheel bouncing around in the boot, dodgy windscreen etc)

1 hour ago, Kiltox said:

Not immediately.  I quite miss it and would definitely want to spend some time driving it until the novelty of sub 20mpg wore off :D 

I was gutted at missing out on this first time round. Would definitely be interested once you've spent money fixing things on it and are selling at a loss ??