Brown as fuck: 2001 BMW X5 3.0 - Exxon5!

Kiltox

15 minutes ago, stripped fred said:

Definitely worth buying this car  when they have massively depreciated and then take the risk of something going drastically wrong. That's the autoshite way...

That particular X5 is argumently one of the nicest cars I've driven, and sadly I like the colour internal and external,

4 hours ago, Kiltox said:

Someone walked into a BMW main dealer in 2001 and paid £43k for a brown X5 with brown interior - why does anyone do anything? :D 

Similar for mine. Someone back in mid 2002 went in and ordered a mint green X5 with pale green leather interior and coughed around £43k. Just why would you choose that combo?

Oh and ticked the poverty spec petrol engine - being the 3l straight 6 instead of the real beast of the V8 or the economic diesel.

Been getting quotes for a windscreen for this. It’s really badly swirled and scratched - has a few minor chips outside of the swept area and just generally shows its age and a life of going through automatic car washes too often / having worn out wipers drag across it. 

Autoglass want £430 

Independent place was surprised the best they could do was £360 - they expected to be able to beat them by a lot more than that!

1 hour ago, Kiltox said:

Been getting quotes for a windscreen for this. It’s really badly swirled and scratched - has a few minor chips outside of the swept area and just generally shows its age and a life of going through automatic car washes too often / having worn out wipers drag across it. 

Autoglass want £430 

Independent place was surprised the best they could do was £360 - they expected to be able to beat them by a lot more than that!

What's your insurance excess for windscreens? a hammer is quite effective at simulating a rock thrown up by a quarry wagon ;)

I had a small crack in the middle of the screen and asked the insurance to do it. Unfortunately Autoglass cracked it even more when attempting a repair. So I had to pay £140 for a new screen. I'm sure yours, like mine will have the light and rain sensor in it behind where the mirror sits. I you don't want these to work I'm sure a base spec screen should be cheaper, if they do such a thing.

On 8/24/2020 at 9:24 AM, SiC said:

I guess the type of buyer is someone middle aged, bought their house cheap and mortgage paid off. Parents elderly so need to have a "high car". Still want something "sporty" so M badged. 

With the mortgage gone, having an equivalent mortgage payment going out isn't as much a big thing. 

I think it's the opposite from what I've seen. Late 20's still living at home rent-free despite having a reasonable-paying job, not saving for a deposit because they'd rather just stay there till their parents croak, want to drive around in something new and flash. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Kiltox

Don't know how yours is getting on but mine has now developed a couple more leaks. Not from any previous repairs - ohhh no.

This time it is the oil filter housing to block gasket and a power steering pipe that have joined forces and decided to pollute the underside of the car. Thankfully no further than the under tray as yet. Another William heading my way.