USA Road Trip

Volksy

Star Alliance and One World are having a bit of a price war at the moment on Trans-Atlantic routes.

I got my flights to the west coast for just over £300 return with Air-France (Manchester > Paris > San Francisco). Decent flight times, in flight food/drink and 12kg of hand luggage.

Had I had held on for a couple of weeks, British Airways (Manchester > Philadelphia > San Francisco) are doing that route for £280 Return.

Star Alliance and One World are having a bit of a price war at the moment on Trans-Atlantic routes.

I got my flights to the west coast for just over £300 return with Air-France (Manchester > Paris > San Francisco). Decent flight times, in flight food/drink and 12kg of hand luggage.

Had I had held on for a couple of weeks, British Airways (Manchester > Philadelphia > San Francisco) are doing that route for £280 Return.

That's good I think I was looking at about 400/500 return heathrow to boston

Thanks for all the advice.

I've looked at rentals, and a large car - Buick Verano (basically an old shape Insignia) is coming in under budget, even with all the insurance boxes ticked. I would like something like a Suburban, so might try going all Michael Palin in the rental office to see if I can sweet talk one.

A friend recently visited L.A. and said the same, he found it very strange almost knowing his way around having played a computer game!

The Verano is a size down from that iirc, basically an Astra with a funny grille stuck on so old people would buy it for too much money. Oddly you could get an actual Astra for a while, it would just be a Saturn, though I can't say I've seen more than a couple up here.

Both times I hired a car I received a free upgrade. It is almost as if they overcharge for the mid sized cars so they have room to dish out upgrades and create good customer feelings. Or it could have been the British accent of course. Not that Estuary Essex cuts any ice usually!

They probably thought you were Australian.

Both times I hired a car I received a free upgrade. It is almost as if they overcharge for the mid sized cars so they have room to dish out upgrades and create good customer feelings. Or it could have been the British accent of course. Not that Estuary Essex cuts any ice usually!

My recent experience seems to confirm what you want is a born-in-East Midlands twang.   Met up with son-in-law on a recent family reunion in Canada.  I had pre-booked a Grand Cherokee which was very swiftly handed over - he had ordered a Kia Satsuma or something which, as he predicted, wouldn't be available.   After a 40 minute dick-around in the rental office he rocked up at my sister's with a flipping Durango R/T the bugger.....No extra cost, Sir.   

The American Driving Museum in El Segundo about 5 minutes from LAX is worth a visit. On Sundays they normally have a few random car cars from the collection outside the museum with drivers to take you on a 10 minute drive around the block.

https://www.automobiledrivingmuseum.org/plan-your-visit#sunday-car-rides

Good shout that! I'm In LA on a Sunday, so will try and check it out!