The official way of Purchasing a car in Spain.

Remspoor

I've driven my van over here a few times, and as time is not an issue for me, and I avoid motorways whenever I can, the lower speed limit isnt much of an issue.

Plus I'll be doing some building work and i will also be collecting motorbike and scooter parts, so a car is not as good an option for me.

On the plus side, with no salt on the roads in the winter where I am, Transits and Vito's can be considered too, as not seen any rusty ones here.

EDIT. Just read up on the requirements for the ITV. It's a bit complicated to say the least. Cars, MPV's and Van's all have different time spans for tests, depending on vehicles age, how many seats it has, and so on. Even seen that you need a more frequent test if your car was once a rental car, even if that was a couple of years before you purchased it.

Everytime I read something, another rethink is needed!

Just to give a quick view of italian system for comparison. 

No gov office ever does photocopies for you, always go with many copies plus 1.

Bangernomics does not work here, all used vehicle purchases have min admin charge €500 to change ownership.

Second hand prices seem similar to spain

Non italian residents can NOT buy a car /bike.

Private individuals can NOT buy a van, you must be iva ( vat) registered.  

No road tax as such, but there is possesion tax which means no such thing as off the road for repairs, you must pay tax every year or fines start arriving and car longer valid/ impossible to sell.

Very rare to find a car that has had more than 2 owners .

4 hours ago, Jerzy Woking said:

Seems like the UK and New Zealand are the places to live to be able to run shite easily.

Cars are not cheap in NZ typically a 2005 Corolla goes from$4500 to $9000 (about 2200 to 4300 quids to you M9) depending on mileage (at the lower end you are looking at a quarter of a million kms)

9 minutes ago, xkjagnz said:

Cars are not cheap in NZ typically a 2005 Corolla goes from$4500 to $9000 (about 2200 to 4300 quids to you M9) depending on mileage (at the lower end you are looking at a quarter of a million kms)

I should have said "to easily run shite cars, even though those in NZ maybe more expensive. But still shite".

16 hours ago, Sir Chocolate Teapot said:

Just to give a quick view of italian system for comparison. 

No gov office ever does photocopies for you, always go with many copies plus 1.

Bangernomics does not work here, all used vehicle purchases have min admin charge €500 to change ownership.

Second hand prices seem similar to spain

Non italian residents can NOT buy a car /bike.

Private individuals can NOT buy a van, you must be iva ( vat) registered.  

No road tax as such, but there is possesion tax which means no such thing as off the road for repairs, you must pay tax every year or fines start arriving and car longer valid/ impossible to sell.

Very rare to find a car that has had more than 2 owners .

What red tape in Italy ?!?!??

On 11/26/2019 at 9:01 AM, Remspoor said:

RHD vans cannot be registered in Spain. The same with Campers and lorries.

This conversation is getting confusing s the original thread was about purchasing a Spanish vehicle for importation into a different country.

Sorry to drag this away from the original intention of the thread, but it has proved to be invaluable for me.

I was never aware of the restrictions, nor a lot of the red tape involved in buying a car in Spain to use in Spain.

Honestly, a big thank you for this thread.

Purchasing a vehicle in Spain and for use in Spain will be slightly different to this guide. Importing a car into Spain for use in Spain is also different. Some say the latter can be a horror story.

I have not done either because details on how these can be done can be found in books and on so called expat websites. I did not wish to repeat that information. I was inspired to write this because some foro members had or wanted to purchase some Spanish registered cars.

I just like to keep things in line with my OCD ?.