Shitefest 7th -9th June 2019

kirton

The 305 appears to have actual rear arches. Result, I'd have said. 

Whether your parents acknowledge this sort of finer detail is another thing, I'd imagine. Cant you tell them it could also double as a mobile retro air b'n'b?

Edit - by sheer coincidence, I see you have mentioned the parental reception for your beige beauty* while I was writing my reply. 

I foresee a Scottish future for it...

32 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

Then why am I having a mild panic attack?

lol.

As much as I like it Old Man says it is 100% not welcome and my mum is on holiday.
I think it might be for sale when the V5 arrives.

one of the things im very thankful to my mum for is she is always very supportive of my weird and whacky hobbies :) and does not mind what crap I drag home as long as it does not get into her personal space

she is in full support of the whole invacar thing for example (and she even plans to use it herself to nip to the shops n back as she does not give 2 Fs what people think LOL)

1 hour ago, KruJoe said:

Just home as the sun sets over Malhamdale. Six-and-a-half hours. 

IMG_20190609_212004.thumb.jpg.1cbbeaa541538ba9f283a9d9d2b1962b.jpg

No FTPs to be seen here, the Pleasure Wagon has looked after me brilliantly. TFFT!

Thank you so much everyone, it's been emotional. 

I am sure you were 6 cars ahead of me just north of Sedgemoor services at about 5 past 4 in that torrential downpour - with no lights on - when the Peugeot shat the front joint if the centre box, leading to my FTP.

The RAC arrived at half 5, inserted 2 joints into each end of the centre box, and gave me a jump start because the hazards had been on for 2 hours. 

Many thanks to Kirton for organising SF19 and for letting me use his garage to bodge the exhaust back together, richardthestag for the kind offer of help, and every one else for being great company.

31 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

Then why am I having a mild panic attack?

lol.

As much as I like it Old Man says it is 100% not welcome and my mum is on holiday.
I think it might be for sale when the V5 arrives.

There is a simple solution as I suggested at Shitefest! Pack some clothes, sleeping bag and sell your fleet to free up money. Then drive south and eastwards into Europe to see where the road takes you! Proper no worries roadtrip with no ties, targets, concerns or agenda. Use hostels (when you cba to sleep in the car) and seasonal work to feed the trip as you go. :)

At times I wish I could do/have done that. Unfortunately I'm a big older now, have far more responsibilities and that boat has sailed. :(

21 hours ago, chaseracer said:

They called in at Cannock for fuel and a MaccyDs.

Gentlemen: GOOD TO SEE YOU! ?

GOOD TO SEE YOU!

18 hours ago, MikeR said:

Todhills

thats a blast from the past , I think my mum and dad used that as a stop on the way back to Tinwald ( when the runway still existed )

it was sort of halfway ..

Todhills is very handy when heading north. It's very easy to get off the motorway, parked, toilet used then back on the motorway which is a pain in the arse if you leave it any later because Gretna, Annandale Water, Abington and Cairn Lodge are all well off the motorway. The next services that isn't one site for both carriageways is Hamilton.

Good weekend etc, thanks to Kirton for organising it all and folk just being generally excellent. 12 and half hours for the southbound was NOT amusing. The return home took about 10 and a half but we stopped at Bridgwater services for 20 minutes to marvel at how much of an utter toilet it is, about an hour in Cannock with Mr racer for the bantz, innit and about 10 - 15 minutes at Todhills just to stretch legs etc.

Not done the last MPG figures for the 740 but from Glasgow to Cannock it done 40.8mpg. Cannock - SF19 and back to Cannock at 37.8mpg. Not bad for a 2.3 petrol automatic block of flats.

I've done about 500 miles today, 350ish in a Proton and the remainder  in a 305 (which drives excellently and overtook many things on the M1).   Unfortunately the Vauxhall Heritage centre has left me in dire need of another Cavalier.  Bugger.  

Thanks to JohnK and Ghosty for being excellent travelling companions.  We had a lot of fun.  The final run of the 305 over Woodhead at sunset was truly a special thing.  I hope I see that old bus again.  Thanks for making me feel welcome.  

good to see that those who suffered an FTP didn't have to wait hours for collection/got back on the road.

Roy and I cleared the rubbish and recycling from the club and the dustvan has just gone by.

If anyone left anything, although it didn't look like it, let me know.

Whilst SF19 wasn't really aimed at being a club fundraising event there was over £300 in the collecting glass, and I think the bar did well on Friday night, so there is a fair bit left after expenses.  This is good as we have been hit with a £300+ extra cost towards the night landing lights in the village for the air ambulance, someone not in the club "forgot" about dealing with VAT, so a fund surplus turned into a shortfall.  The club started the ball rolling on fundraising for the lights and has ended up as piggy in the middle.

Thanks to all

Kirton

ps:  and thanks for the donations for our club member who is representing England in the five nations ploughing championship in Ireland in September. 

I am awake.

As always a tremendous weekend. The weather eventually came through and made the 24 hour round trip well worth it!

Huge thanks to Mike for organising, Cheriton Fitzpaine AFC for hosting us, Thorne's Farm Shop for Sunday breakfast, Frogchod for the lift back after Sunday breakfast and all of you for turning up and making Shitefest the event of the year.

See you all next year!

echo all other comments above, thanks Kirton and CFAFC for hosting us.

My first but not my last SF

Tried to explain to Mrs Thestag what it was all about and the best I could come up with was

load of blokes from across the UK and France gathering in a field with a diverse selection of shonky and not so shonky motors to drink beer and talk bollocks.

great fun it was