Shitefest 7th -9th June 2019

kirton

22 hours ago, fatharris said:

Weather forecast is slowly getting worse. Joy.

Ah, 260 mile each way 5 hours 

Shall we come in MX5 with roof down all the way and a boot rack or mv6 and stick it in cruise? 

You can come on Thursday but for the club to be opened for toilets etc we will need to be sure that there will be someone on site; a wide open unattended club won't be covered by our insurance, and nocturnal removal men are not unknown around here.  Mrs K and I may be out for the day and not back until after 6 to open up.

The farm shop has a toilet but closes at 6;  the Half Moon opens by 7. The Ring of Bells is probably open at 6 - it's just had a glowing write up in the Daily Telegraph.  The hedge is there 24/7/365.

So far the rain has missed us and the ground is bone dry and hard.  For those arriving when we have had the promised rain I'd suggest driving in, turning around and having a straight run into the 5-a-side area by the road - it will minimise churning up the entrance  (I have seen the photos of SF16!)

Milk will be in the kitchen aroud 10am on Friday morning.  The bar will be open from mid afternoon;  roasties and sausages for 7?  I cleared the freezer cabinets in Crediton Tesco of footballer grade stocks  this morning.  I'll try to restock on Saturday if needed.

For those coming south on the M5;  should there be problems on the A361 to North Devon go to the next junction down for Cullompton, turn right into town, (Tesco is just down the road)  left at the lights, after about 200m the road narrows, turn right just before the narrowing and this which takes you to Tiverton, left at the bottom of the hill in Tivvy, over the river and left to Exeter, right at Bickleigh to Crediton and follow the strawberry signs.

Safe journeys!

I feel bad for making you type that now... I cant leave tomorrow as Amys going out (part of the reason I'm having an easy getaway Friday) so I'll stick to plan A and just put the tent up whilst getting utterly flipping soaked after arriving at lunchtime friday

If the weather reports stay the same I'm going to set off really early on Saturday.  I'm working on Friday and the kids are at school so I'd struggle to get there in daylight and it seems daft to get everything wet for the sake of a few hours.  This is obviously less of an issue for car campers which I could be if the kids weren't coming too.  The plan B of borrowing a van to sleep in has been shot down as I've now got all 3 kids.

Mrs K has just treated me to a meal at the Red Lion in Shobrooke, about 5 miles away;  they have a double and a twin room, £65/£70, can't remember which, so if you want to be dry, comfortable and probably sober........   01363 772340

Friday night is their fish and chip night, £15 for two, large portions, and apparently it's haddock this week;  they do do take away,  ring an order in

I'm booked into the Best Western in Tiverton, so bit further away but not too bad, and it's cheap at 39 quid a night.  There was a pub / inn a bit closer which had a room at about the same price with breakfast included, but that had a shared bathroom, and I like to perform my morning ablutions at my leisure without worrying about someone banging on the door, so I went with the generic option.  Other advantage is that I can check in from 2, which means I can do that on my way down - otherwise I'd have to bugger off half way through the evening to go and check in.

9 hours ago, beko1987 said:

@Bucketeer are you going to be there Thursday? Or are you there already?

I'm half way there, just not quite in the right direction yet. I'll probably be there sometime tomorrow, when I run out of B roads to rag down.

I don't need anything opening up Kirton but I presume I'll be okay to throw my tent up tomorrow?

Are all you Friday night campers planning on going for breakfast on Sat morning, if so what time as I think ive got  over an hours drive even though I class this as a local event.

I dont mind leaving early as it gets me out of something I dont want to be here for.

Bloody hell. 

Chatsharris and I are contemplating sleeping in his Prelude instead of the tent, which could be interesting*.  I feel this is getting ever more likely.

This time a year ago I'd just quickly disposed of an identical Prelude to chats', and bought a Rover 416 at the other side of the country to Shitefest (Basingstoke-Aberdeen), then driven it the whole way there via the entirety of Wales over the course of five days. 

I've just sold a bike for £125 and I'm off to various supermarkets for supplies tomorrow.