Bramz ever changing fleet merry go round.

bramz7

attachicon.gif20190425_200745.jpg

About a year ago I bought a 306 D turbo. The seller had a lovely Xantia as a daily and I said to them I'd have it if they sold it.

They put it up for sale a few weeks back so I arranged a purchase.

It's not perfect but it's the perfect spec Xantia. HDI 110, electric heated leather seats, auto wipers, alloys etc. It has the better suspension being the Exclusive too.

I think the HDI 110 is the best engine for these too.

Small jobs that need doing are a small leak on a return pipe, a wheel balance, and some grot needs welding. I'll do the first two soon, but the rust can wait for now.

In other news, I've got to get an AX on Saturday.

I also fancied a Chrysler Neon briefly but most of the sellers are deluded.

Looks lovely that!

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

It is a very decent Xantia and gives the same impression that the Gold forum bike one I had when I first picked it up from angle. I will get the niggles sorted though, as it'll be in pretty constant use.

I will have to spend a few days getting used to the brakes again though! It feels far more French to sit in and drive than the 406, and oddly the quality of the fittings seems to be that much better too. It has sadly suffered from the rear arch grot they seem to be very prone to, but it's not terrible.

I did want a third car but I've got my mind set on something that may not be for sale any time soon, so I'm happy to wait.

post-20043-0-88870800-1556392789_thumb.jpg

Finally. Found this on eBay a few weeks back after it was on various other sites over the past few months. The seller is a bit of a shiter with two Cinquecentos and a Y10!

It needs some cosmetic work and there is some ancient tyres on the front that need replacing (it understeers quite well), and the cambelt age is unknown. Otherwise, it'll be a neat project for me and my best friend, as we have gone halves on it. 1.1 TZX, possibly one of the last on the road. Did 162 miles without issue today. Didn't even use that much fuel.

post-20043-0-68619000-1556392989_thumb.jpg

Decadent.

I feel like the only hole in the fleet now is for something with actual performance. I'd love something cheap and fast....

attachicon.gif20190427_170347.jpg

Finally. Found this on eBay a few weeks back after it was on various other sites over the past few months. The seller is a bit of a shiter with two Cinquecentos and a Y10!

It needs some cosmetic work and there is some ancient tyres on the front that need replacing (it understeers quite well), and the cambelt age is unknown. Otherwise, it'll be a neat project for me and my best friend, as we have gone halves on it. 1.1 TZX, possibly one of the last on the road. Did 162 miles without issue today. Didn't even use that much fuel.

attachicon.gif20190427_182959.jpg

Decadent.

I feel like the only hole in the fleet now is for something with actual performance. I'd love something cheap and fast....

I watched that go though and it was all I could do not to bid on it, lovely.

I watched that go though and it was all I could do not to bid on it, lovely.

It was sold in Chalfont St Giles at a year old too, so would have been local to you for some time.

Appears to have been a Citroen UK car when new, I'm wondering if it was one of the first TZX facelift cars registered.

It was sold in Chalfont St Giles at a year old too, so would have been local to you for some time.

Appears to have been a Citroen UK car when new, I'm wondering if it was one of the first TZX facelift cars registered.

They were our rivals 18 miles away when I sold Citroens in Aylesbury 1987!

Facelift was late 91 so would have been on a J - my mum bought a GT 5 door new in early 92.

I was disappointed at the time that TZX "luxo" spec didn't get you an upgraded steering wheel!!

• 2 weeks later...

So. yet again due to the forum, I have bought another car. I wasn't supposed to, but I somehow ended up with it for sub £200. So, it wasn't that bitter a pill to swallow

So, a 25 year old Fiat. I always seem to pine for an old Italian car when I venture to Italy, and the last time was no exception. I never really considered another Tempra as they are so scarce here, that they sort of go under the rader. 

But thanks to the eBay tat thread, and a certain member posting a link to the auction, I now own this.

It pulls well when the turbo spools up. It seems to be a fair bit higher on the rev range than equivalent French diesels, around 2200rpm before the turbo (and pressure gauge) light up, and frick me it really pulls when it wakes up. Not anything ground breaking as its a clattery old Italian, but pleasing. 

Clutch seems okay, but it needs a fair bit of rev to get it going from standing. Otherwise all good, so maybe a small hydraulic issue?

Rust seems fairly limited to underneath. Me and Rob discovered today it has definitely been welded a few times, but the sills and floorpan seem okay. Subframe may need a tickle at some point. 

The interior has degraded a tad, but nothing like the non digidash ones can, and the seats are more or less fine, bar a few burst stitches. 

Some suspension rattles, and a very noisy PAS pump, which is about right for Italian stuff.

I want to keep it, but I say that a lot.

In other news, anyone got a diesel automatic for sale? I like my Xantia a lot but I would love something with an autobox and cruise. I do too many motorway miles really. 

P1060647.JPG

P1060648.JPG

P1060649.JPG

P1060650.JPG

5 minutes ago, Kringle said:

Swish! Tell me, what's the best car you've ever driven? And which car do you regret selling?

I really rated the 156 V6 I had, sadly I only decided to take it for a proper drive when I was taking it to the new owner, and it was sublime. It loved being thrashed.

I regret selling a lot of the Peugeots I have had, 405 Executive auto, 605 STDT auto etc, but I also miss the E36 Touring 323i I had too. I must just be a sucker for leather and an auto box....

Don't know whether they're quite your thing but had you tried an automatic diesel 75? I hadn't until borrowing my Dad's example on Sunday and the thing made short work of a 350 mile round trip. Impressed me enough to be idly browsing them on the bay and Autotrader 

Fancied a 75 for a while but equally I'd love an E39 at some point. I must remind myself that cheap prestige is usually a bad idea though....

The more I look at the Tempra the more I love it. I started to really regret selling my old Tipo DGT so this really fills that void.