Bramz ever changing fleet merry go round.

bramz7

I've got Hankook Vantras on the Granvia which are good and grippy but the Hankooks which came on the Volvo have worn out very prematurely. They're about 3 years old and while the tread is still good, the sidewalls are crazed to the point I wouldn't feel safe using them.

Did have Falkens on a previous Legacy and liked those alot. They would be worth looking into.

Thanks for all the tyre recommendations.

I've decided to prioritise tyres over the exhaust so they'll get done first. I also think the exhaust leak is pre cat, as the post cat pipework looks incredibly shiny. I'll probably find out that the manifold to cat is NLA or something.

Anyway the A4 is currently unavailable so I went up to Crewe this weekend (I bought some Staffs oatcakes too) and picked up a cheap A3. 

First PD130 I've ever driven and even at 200k it's an animal. I can see why people go nuts for them and remap them etc but if I'm honest the constant feathering of the throttle to get it do something other than tear your face off with torque is very tiring around town. Oh and the ride quality on those alloys! Jesus. Anyhow, it goes, stops when it should, and the tyres are all good so it'll do for a work hack. 

I've got another incomer tomorrow which is reward for a favour, I'm quite excited by it but finances may dictate it being for sale soon. I'm hoping I can just scrape by.....

IMG_20200713_122858.thumb.jpg.5aaaae31d5525cd21b54790e3730e55b.jpg

IMG_20200713_122848.thumb.jpg.60a05fa442734d1a0731cadf4d723ab1.jpg

The seats look nice but the buckets are making my (slender) hips ache. 

Okay so nearly a fortnight ago I offered my services to help collect a car from Tiverton for a friend, and his way of showing thanks was giving me this:

IMG_20200714_145053.thumb.jpg.9240b4d74459e185eebaef8172ce726f.jpg

IMG_20200714_145108.thumb.jpg.0af2c9dead2baa1ff809641e7bee5f21.jpg

IMG_20200714_145027.thumb.jpg.21bbba69de3fbecef42a2979560a5f11.jpg

Thank god it's velour as I must be in the minority to absolutely detest Alfa leather. 

IMG_20200714_145135.thumb.jpg.61e0952de7eb70830886007e420a2e42.jpg

Yeah eat my ECOTY mofos. 

So what is it? It's a 147 2.0 T Spark in decedent Lusso trim, with working cruise control. 

The clutch seems a touch low but it works fine, and the gearstick is a bit flappy so third sometimes disappears. To be honest though it drives pretty damn good and it was more or less free so I'm not moaning. 

Interestingly underneath looks incredibly solid. 

If I keep it until MOT time it will definitely need a bit of front suspension work, as per Alfa. 

Unfortunately it will also need a windscreen as some bellend in a Transit had loose rocks or something in their flatbed and this happened:

IMG_20200714_145036.thumb.jpg.9252d84304e29e0a9fbd8700728d8957.jpg

I was watching it over bumps and wondering if it was growing or not, and then suddenly it grew three inches in the blink of an eye. Good!

Also I definitely hate the A3. It rides like utter shit. And hurts! Anyone want it?! 

@wuvvum

It does have a fair punch to it, typical T Spark in that it's better as the revs increase, certainly feels like it has plenty more in it at 80, which my 1.4 146 didn't!

@HMC

I'm not entirely sure if the wheels are original but then they could be? Even with knocking droplinks and low profile tyres it rides way better than the Audi. 

Regarding Audi ride, my old A6 (the facelift 100) rode pretty well but the handling was so front heavy, much like some Volvo's I've had, despite their opposing engine configurations. The downside with that Audi was the abysmal seats. 

The old 80 TDI auto that was a one time forum bike was the most comfortable Audi I've experienced and I'm pretty sure the suspension and tyres weren't that fresh either. 

Dilemma time, something is going to have to go.

Let's not forget I also have a 205 which needs collecting (after it's MOT tested).

So current fleet is:

A3: Frugal, fast and terribly firm ride. I think one or two suspension pieces are way past best but given it doesn't groan and bounce over speed bumps I suspect it's largely factory. It's not worth much and to be honest I'm more keen on using the frugality to save for a better car down the line. 

147: Free, quite fun to drive and comfortable with working cruise. Will need £££ spending and needs a new windscreen ASAP. Otherwise it's pretty good for that era Alfa. I've been given the POs blessing to sell before anyone accuses me of profiteering. 

Laguna: tough one. I love it, but deep down I know I'm not the right keeper for it. I definitely don't currently have the finances available to spend on it what will need doing. A month or two down the line, maybe. But I still don't think I'm the right custodian. 

205: having driven something analogue feeling for the first time in ages last week (and this week) I feel compelled to keep it, despite me bouncing between the keep/sell like a deranged pinball machine. I think a car like that is essential for my sanity. 

So it boils down to the 147 and Laguna doesn't it?

I've offered the Laguna to the first dibs asker already, pending their decision. Not what I wanted to do. 

The 147 would be £225 to anyone on here, in the unlikely event anyone wants it. However I really need to get the V5 out of my friends name before it goes anywhere. 

This is also being driven by the fact I'm getting married in October so money is going into that too.