Bramz ever changing fleet merry go round.

bramz7

Over-light steering is a standard R800 trait, along with GR9 seats.

They have an interesting quirk too - if one of the terminals comes off the battery, you won't notice anything different driving-wise, but the electric windows will start randomly going up and down all by themselves.

The seats in the 800 are superb. Really Rover did what they do best in that era and made a great sofa surrounded by a not so great, if adequate motor car.

Window switches are a bit rubbery feeling too, but they work.

I've got a lead on a reasonable looking 525tds now. Bah.

Just had a gander under the BMW bonnet (not for the first time) and noticed how these have a very windy serpentine belt layout....I think the garage can sort that one out. Belt looks fine, there is a squeaky pulley somewhere though.

Took the Rover out this morning just to town and back and I really do like it. I don't think it would suit a manual box at all, they really do feel as if they were made for ploddy old ZF automatics.

post-20043-0-68574200-1544033923_thumb.jpg

post-20043-0-17862500-1544033940_thumb.jpg

I finally have a car that passed its MOT at the first attempt. At long last.

It's not bad right? It drives nice enough, the engine is a bit revvy and non BMW like, and the gearbox is far better when warm, but it'll do. Fine wood* trim and cream leather will do me.

In other news, I just managed to get the final new comer to my fleet insured for £26 earlier today, which was mighty pleasing.

attachicon.gif20181205_150818.jpg

attachicon.gif20181205_150840.jpg

I finally have a car that passed its MOT at the first attempt. At long last.

It's not bad right? It drives nice enough, the engine is a bit revvy and non BMW like, and the gearbox is far better when warm, but it'll do. Fine wood* trim and cream leather will do me.

In other news, I just managed to get the final new comer to my fleet insured for £26 earlier today, which was mighty pleasing.

A roffle prize I was genuinely sad to miss. It is my favourite E46 colour scheme and sounds like a cracker! Many congrats on flying through the MOT!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had that whole switch pack apart just after I bought the car as it was stiff. Loads of dust and crap inside. Cleaned it all out with electrical contact cleaner and cotton buds.

I’ve found vodka an adequate substitute for contact cleaner on occasion.

Or was that the other way round? I forget now.

This BMW still absolutely hums of oil, especially when up to temperature, and more so when stationary. It hasn't dropped any on the ground, but it's flashing up the amber oil warning periodically too.....

Is this any concern? Surely, after 200 miles of driving, any excess oil from the PCV episode would have been burned clean off?

Rover continues to be fine, it's a bit crumbly on the front arches but it's fine otherwise.

On the lookout for some pride yank shite now. Sadly all Japanese stuff is incompatible with insurance.

i've had a couple of e46 that show the oil warning light when you pull the key out when the level was fine it quite common on them. Is there any oil in the under tray?

I'd keep an eye on the levels my Z4 uses a litre of oil every few hundred miles, which I think is the PCV setup. 

Edit - I'd change the oil it can't do any harm.

On the lookout for some pride yank shite now. Sadly all Japanese stuff is incompatible with insurance.

Knowing your luck and that were you thinking of a Blazer, have you considered an early-ish Jeep Cherokee?

I've never had one but they keep popping up on the radar for comfy yank cruisers that are easy to source parts for and shouldn't be difficult to fix. The earlier ones might be classic friendly as well.

Hmmm, BMW oil level right at max still, so I presume if there is a leak it's a small one.

However...why does my oil cap have what looks like real milky coffee on it?

Edited to add coolant also at max, thanks to stupidly easy to use measurement system. God knows how people neglect these cars when they have possibly the most user friendly level checkers I've ever had

I'm not surprised Sam! Trouble is I want to keep them all! Think the trailer tent is doomed as I could convert the estate easily into a comfy overnight bedroom. I know James slept in it a few times with his dogs. If you get a yank I'm coming down for a passenger ride!

I've also considered a STS. 4.6 V8 and FWD...and only £250 to insure.

They do like to grenade though don't they?

Cracked blocks and heads aplenty on these.

Almost bought a 99 sts before I got the xj8. Was only £750 but had quite a few previous mot advisories for blue smoke at idle.

Neadless to say I walked away.