Bramz ever changing fleet merry go round.

bramz7

Well the one I'm after has huge horsepower....so it's more of a speed machine if I'm being honest.

The 900 handles in an odd way. It's got a really balanced front end...slightly invasive going over bumps but the steering has a nice precise feeling to it.

I still regret missing out on a local Rover 825 diesel. It was mine for the taking but I dithered.

Have you driven a 9000 Bramz? They really don't do it for me. You can make a small-medium car handle and ride reasonably well with front MacPherson struts and a torsion beam rear but the 9000 is overwhelmed with that setup, the steering is naff too. Even the now panned Rover 800 is better to drive and a Volvo 850 is much nicer.

They are comfortable cruisers but that's about it.

I agree...

I had a really nice 9000 about 10 years ago ...

It was a 2 litre lpt with slushbox and was soporific to drive.

Hot 9000s are inept at everything apart from accelerating hard between 50 and 90 on a motorway. If all you do is motorway work I could see why a fast 9000 would appeal. They also have large boots.

I went to a track day at Three Sisters ages ago and there was a cocky bloke there with a 9000 Aero which had (he claimed) 400bhp. Said he was going to smoke all of us. Said we wouldn't see him for dust. It ran wide on every single bend, managed three laps then shat its coolant all over the track.

Everyone was incredibly* impressed.

Hot 9000s are inept at everything apart from accelerating hard between 50 and 90 on a motorway. If all you do is motorway work I could see why a fast 9000 would appeal. They also have large boots.

I went to a track day at three sisters ages ago and there was a cocky bloke there with a 9000 Aero which had (he claimed) 400bhp. Said he was going to smoke all of us. Said we wouldn't see him for dust. It ran wide on every single bend, managed three laps then shat its coolant all over the track.

Everyone was incredibly* impressed.

What a (trackday) weapon.

Have your driven a V6 Camry, they're good cars, not as powerful as a 9000 turbo but plenty there all through the rev range. The '92 ish generation had their timing retarded to stop them from stepping on the Lexus GS400's toes, allegedly. A quick twist of the dizzy and you can have another 15 bhp from them.

You may as well have one, at the rate you're going you'll end up with one sooner or later.

Have you driven a 9000 Bramz? They really don't do it for me. You can make a small-medium car handle and ride reasonably well with front MacPherson struts and a torsion beam rear but the 9000 is overwhelmed with that setup, the steering is naff too. Even the now panned Rover 800 is better to drive and a Volvo 850 is much nicer.

They are comfortable cruisers but that's about it.

That would largely be my conclusion too. Superb comfort, but very barge-like.

800s are shocking dynamically but decent as cruisers. IMHO the four pot T series cars work better than the Honda V6s day to day; at least the later KV6 800s had some form of discernible torque.

I am pretty devvoed that bramz7 decided not to avail himself of a diesel 800 - I'd like a go in one.

I've always fancied a 9000 too, but these stories of them handling badly would put me off. Decent ones seem to be £1k+ now, as well.

If you've got £1k-ish to spend, then you could consider a Mk3 Mondeo 3 litre- obviously the ST220 is the quickest, but the standard 3.0 cars are still quick. You need to rev them mind, they're not a lazy torque monster. Importantly though, the handling is spot on.

Or...Jag S-Type V8? 300 bhp and the later 2002-onwards facelift models apparently handle well. Plenty around for not much more than a grand.

This 18 is now available again.

The 9000 I want ends tonight.

18 has been reduced to £875. I'm reasonably open to swaps plus a bit of cash my way if anyone has a (fast) diesel they want to swap...I'm conscious the Mercedes I have won't pass another MOT.

I saw the 9K you're meaning, it looks lovely. Good luck!

I owned a 9000 with the 2.0 16v naturally aspirated engine. 136hp was most definitely not enough. 9000s need a turbo, although I've always coveted the 3.0 V6 Griffin.

However, at the time it was the first car I owned which would literally waft along at 60mph in 5th gear absolutely silently, and I was 21 years old and most definitely the odd one out at university.