Bramz ever changing fleet merry go round.

bramz7

Nice bit of variety there Sam. Dare I suggest keeping the 18 and 900 for a bit? I imagine the latter is the sort of car that you need to own for a while to really appreciate its qualities.

The 18 is an interesting thing, like Wuvvum I noticed the Norfolk registration. I wondered if it might have been this one with a new registration, which I saw at one of the auction/autojumbles they used to have at the Norfolk Showground:

12265356974_9a8110f38e_o.jpg

1984-86 Renault 18TD Mark 2 Estate (2008) by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

But you say yours is a base, and certainly Cartell doesn't list any trim level. Looks like you have open wheels with centre caps? Like this?

29206924311_b4737a7f05_c.jpg

Renault 18 Estate by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

My Parker's Guide reckons the diesel engine was only available in TD and GTD spec. Confusing designation, as people might take that to mean it's a turbodiesel.....

Nice bit of variety there Sam. Dare I suggest keeping the 18 and 900 for a bit? I imagine the latter is the sort of car that you need to own for a while to really appreciate its qualities.

The 18 is an interesting thing, like Wuvvum I noticed the Norfolk registration. I wondered if it might have been this one with a new registration, which I saw at one of the auction/autojumbles they used to have at the Norfolk Showground:

12265356974_9a8110f38e_o.jpg

1984-86 Renault 18TD Mark 2 Estate (2008) by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

But you say yours is a base, and certainly Cartell doesn't list any trim level. Looks like you have open wheels with centre caps? Like this?

29206924311_b4737a7f05_c.jpg

Renault 18 Estate by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

My Parker's Guide reckons the diesel engine was only available in TD and GTD spec. Confusing designation, as people might take that to mean it's a turbodiesel.....

Wow I think that genuinely is it. Even still has the red mount for the towbar, but that's now gone. And the V5 had the non transferable numberplate message on it, suggesting it did have a private issue in the past.

post-20043-0-39281700-1541319847_thumb.jpg

post-20043-0-99805100-1541319869_thumb.jpg

post-20043-0-94292100-1541325583_thumb.jpg

post-20043-0-36835600-1541325605_thumb.jpg

post-20043-0-54300900-1541325626_thumb.jpg

The seller said it would need new glow plugs but it started okay today. Ran on 3 for about 10 seconds....

I think I woke up my entire street when it clattered into life.

Interior is minimal. Seats are okay...but poverty spec and I wouldn't say no to an upgraded interior.

Rust seems reasonably elusive, but the front of the sills need some touch up.

It looks in remarkable condition for what it is. That big box on the intake side of the engine looks interesting. Do you think you would like it even more if you could queten it down a bit? I genuinely don’t think it should be a very noisy engine from the factory. Might be worth going through the exhaust system from the manifold back and seeing what’s what. I once had a Pug 106 diesel and was actually a bit embarrassed at just how loud it was on a cold morning. Reports from home said it could be heard two streets away!

To be honest it's a bit less strained feeling than the XUD in my opinion. It's not catastrophically loud...but it has that engine tone. Kind of like the 1.9d in my old Clio, but a bit more content at speeds.

It does have a fan switch on the dash as presumably it doesn't work on its own anymore.

I don't have a owners manual for it but seeing as there is about 5 buttons I think I'll be okay.

The stalk arrangement is bizarre. Wipers on the left, headlights and indicators on the right but each has their own individual stalk. And the ignition is also on the left.

Bramz, could you put your french car finding skills to a different use and find me a lancia prisma or a Y10. Are you sure your not some sort of dark wizard cungering spells here there and everywhere making rare 80s tin re appear?. Loving the 18 diesel. We really must have a uploaded video of it firing up on a morning.

I'm sure derskine has a beige velour interior out of an 18 gtd saloon, front seats would definitely fit but not too sure about the rear.

I'd definitely be up for that. The front seats are okay but they are just far too soft..I think the foam is collapsing or something.

Just took this out for an early morning blat around the little circuit I made with local roads...it's so torquey that town driving is actually quite enjoyable. Gets up to 40 no bother at all, in fact I think road tests of the era remarked that the 0-30 time was far better than expected.

And it sounds so good. It's not in the same league as a nice straight six of course but in a French shite sort of way it's the best diesel engine note I've had.

The headrests are vinyl oddly. It all has a van feel to it....

post-20043-0-62386900-1541404570_thumb.jpg

post-20043-0-30511100-1541404586_thumb.jpg

post-20043-0-11882600-1541404606_thumb.jpg

The long throw gearbox took a bit of getting used to but the clutch is well balanced (seriously) and the gear changes are smooth. It's been well looked after. I think the only bad rot is the front of the sills, it had all new rear arches put in about a year ago.